Another palm pre convert here needs an answer

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I just upgraded from my pre to an evo. And I have a few questions about rooting. Before I get roasted out of here, I want to say that I have been reading about all the roms and backup advice for about a week now. My question is this: what is the easiest and most current way to root this bad boy. Coming from "rooting" a pre, it doesn't seem as simple for the evo. Any chance some old pre guys can help and new guy out. There are just so many tutorials out there, which one is best for me and the most current?
I am running: 2.2, hardware 0004, and 3.70.651.1
Thanks for putting up with my noobness. If u could, please point me to the correct thread. Thanks!

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I thought about that too,but I really like the evo. Just want to be able to customize like the pre but more! I just need to be pointed to the most current thread for rooting. There are so many!

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Great! Thanks. Now all I have to do is make sure I don't lose my camera and 4g keys. Any suggestions for roms? I'm thinking about Myn?s Warm TwoPointTwo. But am open to any other suggestions

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
The easiest way to root the Evo is probably with Unrevoked. It works with all currently available versions of the Evo and the various firmware versions.

Full instructions are here, if you need it.

callderek#AC

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I patched my pre too but the Evo has everything and more that I was missing on the pre. No need to root here. Especially after reading so many " help, my Evo is bricked!" Threads.....

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Just saying this is nothing like prepare. There is no app to download stuff bro lol it sucks kinda

No, it doesn't suck. It's actually not difficult at all as long as you are able to follow directions. Yes, it's a little more involved than Preware, but as long as you read the directions and understand what you are doing BEFORE you do it you will be just fine.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
No need to root here. Especially after reading so many " help, my Evo is bricked!" Threads.....

Most of those threads are because someone didn't follow the directions. Its actually pretty much impossible to completely brick this thing. I dont think I have seen any of those threads yet where they weren't able to get back up and running with a little help.

I remember seeing plenty of "Help, my Pre is bricked" threads over on Pre Central as well.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
One thing i do miss about the pre is webos doctor because if anything happened to my pre or i couldnt get it to boot up..... i would plug in to webdoc and 30 mins later my pre is back to normal.. im still new with the EVO and may not have seen a program or app that does what webos doc does but that is the only reason i have not rooted my EVO yet cause in the rare chance something goes wrong i dont want to end up with an EVO paperweight.... so please if im wrong point me in the right direction

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
One thing i do miss about the pre is webos doctor because if anything happened to my pre or i couldnt get it to boot up..... i would plug in to webdoc and 30 mins later my pre is back to normal.. im still new with the EVO and may not have seen a program or app that does what webos doc does but that is the only reason i have not rooted my EVO yet cause in the rare chance something goes wrong i dont want to end up with an EVO paperweight.... so please if im wrong point me in the right direction

There are actually a few different ways to get back up and running if something goes wrong.

1. RUU (Rom Update Utility) This does pretty much the same thing as WebOS Doctor.

2. PC36IMG.zip - This is a zip file you put on your SD card. It does the same thing as running an RUU except it flashes it right from your SD card so you don't even need to have it connected to your computer.

3. Nandroid backup - (you can only do this if you are rooted) When you make a nandroid backup, it makes a complete image of your system as it is at the time. If you screw something up, you just go into recovery and restore your backup. This restores your system to exactly how it was at the time you made the backup.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I just upgraded from my pre to an evo. And I have a few questions about rooting. Before I get roasted out of here, I want to say that I have been reading about all the roms and backup advice for about a week now. My question is this: what is the easiest and most current way to root this bad boy. Coming from "rooting" a pre, it doesn't seem as simple for the evo. Any chance some old pre guys can help and new guy out. There are just so many tutorials out there, which one is best for me and the most current?
I am running: 2.2, hardware 0004, and 3.70.651.1
Thanks for putting up with my noobness. If u could, please point me to the correct thread. Thanks!

The misconception comes from the fact that actually, webOS doesn't require "root" to sideload apps.

webOS is already wide open, and allows the sideloading of apps by simply enabling developer mode. If you read the PSA in the hacks sub-forum here, you'll understand that "root" is actually a process to circumvent Sprint/HTC implemented controls to limit the users' ability to run applications with superuser permissions. webOS has no such controls implemented.

The process to run applications with superuser permissions (colloquially known as "rooting" one's phone) isn't for everyone. There's no easy "app" like Preware, because there's no community created framework like there is for webOS. This is mostly because... this would be no easy feat... there are so many android developers, so many HTC Evo related forums, sites, modders, etc out there... any sort of aggregation of all of that is bound to be incomplete, and then rendered irrelevant when the next new phone comes out.

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
There are actually a few different ways to get back up and running if something goes wrong.

1. RUU (Rom Update Utility) This does pretty much the same thing as WebOS Doctor.

2. PC36IMG.zip - This is a zip file you put on your SD card. It does the same thing as running an RUU except it flashes it right from your SD card so you don't even need to have it connected to your computer.

3. Nandroid backup - (you can only do this if you are rooted) When you make a nandroid backup, it makes a complete image of your system as it is at the time. If you screw something up, you just go into recovery and restore your backup. This restores your system to exactly how it was at the time you made the backup.

ok so is i was to root my phone and i did something wrong i use nandroid and my phone goes back to normal but in order to use nandroid i have to be rooted???? so do i need to get the pc36img.zip first and then root and by the way thanks for the quick reply

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
ok so is i was to root my phone and i did something wrong i use nandroid and my phone goes back to normal but in order to use nandroid i have to be rooted???? so do i need to get the pc36img.zip first and then root and by the way thanks for the quick reply

I don't think I understand your post.

How did you root your phone?

Nandroid backups and restores require: (1) Root (2) A recovery flashed to the phone (3) Boot into recovery, and access the recovery's menus for Nandroid backup/restore

If you have more questions on rooting, you need to read this stickied located in these forums:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...fo-guide-rooting-faq-general-information.html

I don't really know exactly what you just asked, but it sounds like it can be answered from that thread.

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes, definitely go read that sticky. Lots of great information there that should get you well on your way to rooting.

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
ok so i final question when you go thru the steps to root your phone do u have to install a custom rom i.e. unrevooked... i just want to do stuff like the free hotspot or remove bloatware or even try to get better battery life... ive looked in the threads and all i see is people say install this rom or that rom sorry for being a noob lol

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
First, Unrevoked isn't a ROM, it just a program that roots your phone.

You don't have to install a custom ROM if you root, you can just run the stock ROM. However, you will probably want to learn how to flash new ROMs. The biggest reason for this is because once you are rooted, you won't want to be installing any OTA software updates when they come out. If you install an OTA, you will lose your root. Instead, you will want to get the rooted ROM based on that OTA update and flash that to your phone.

I know this sounds complicated, but don't let it scare you away. It's really very simple once you know how to do it. Once you see how easy it is, you will probably want to try some custom ROMs. Most of them are far nicer than the boring stock ROM and can give better performance and better battery life.

Reactions: mhuggins

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
ok so i final question when you go thru the steps to root your phone do u have to install a custom rom i.e. unrevooked... i just want to do stuff like the free hotspot or remove bloatware or even try to get better battery life... ive looked in the threads and all i see is people say install this rom or that rom sorry for being a noob lol

Really? I beg to differ. It's quite easy to find information on modifying your phone without having to flash a new ROM.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-roms-hacks/49333-how-stay-stock-get-rid-bloat.html

That's a good read. Have fun.

Reactions: mhuggins

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Rooting is easy. I thought it was hard too. I did mine about a couple of hours ago. Unrevoked pretty much did the hardwork and then titanium backup and rom manager handled the rest.

Sent From Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty