Ask us about the Sprint Evo 4G

alan7467

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
?Research the Device? has always been, and continues to be the mantra of the Palm Defenders. I was there from the start of the Pre?s release, but I can?t believe it is still missing features.

Could someone please let me know if these features are basic to Android OS.
Thanks?

Add/Delete launcher pages
Character Counter in text msg
Calendar- default to month view
Camera sound off
Customizable SMS tones and vibration
Blink notification

I?m also hoping the calendar app is a lot better on the EVO.
The Pre?s month view was just a dull boring gray screen. Do Android calendars support multiple colors in month view?

I'm running Android 2.1 with Sense on my Hero. So I can probably answer most of your questions:

- Add/Delete launcher pages
No option to add or delete pages by default. You just get one alphabetized page. You can however, switch between a grid and list view.

-Character Counter in text msg
The default HTC messaging app includes a character counter.

-Calendar- default to month view
The view upon Colander startup is configurable under settings. So yes, you can have it default to month view. In regards to colors in month view. I'm only ever seeing a mix of grey and green on mine. Still a step up from the month view on the Pre IMHO.

-Camera sound off
Tons of options with the new camera in 2.1. Including shutter sound on/off.

-Customizable SMS tones and vibration
The default messaging app allows for custom tones. The vibrate feature can be turned off or on, but not customized otherwise. You can very easily switch to a different messaging app available in the marketplace. I use chompSMS and much prefer it over the stock app. It also allows for custom vibration options.

-Blink notification
Yes, and it can be toggled on or off for different types of notifications as well (email, SMS, etc). There's no reason why this should be any different on the EVO. Though I'm not sure if the color can be changed on the EVO (can't on the Hero).

Hope this helps!

EVO_lve

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't charge both. I leave the other in a drawer right now. But they sell docking stations with a panel in the back where you could (but they seem kinda sketchy in quality).
I have just a dock for my computer that charges my phone.
One thing I noticed... this phone is not getting the miniUSB, it has a microUSB. I don't think they will come out with a dock for this phone as the connection is really small. :/ Its the same one on the Pre if you were wondering. MiniUSB is like the Blackberries, portably hard drives, just about everything portable.

Dock is already made.

Fresh Leak: Spy Shots of HTC Evo 4G Accessories Surface : leakdroid.com

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure I can make that for way less. I made one for my hero for under $15 (card dock). Someone else pointed me to the dock for the computer a while back. Looks neat. I like miniUSb over microUSB, but I'll live.

964mula

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, i read through most of the questions and I have not found mine. I hope i can get someone to answer it but with concrete evidence. Ok, My question is if the EVO can RECORD 720P. I know it can play 720HD but i got in an argument about it and have been looking everywhere but cannot find confirmation. They said that 720P is 1080 x 720 res at 60 frames per second and the EVO does not do that. Is that true? RECORD?

alan7467

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, i read through most of the questions and I have not found mine. I hope i can get someone to answer it but with concrete evidence. Ok, My question is if the EVO can RECORD 720P. I know it can play 720HD but i got in an argument about it and have been looking everywhere but cannot find confirmation. They said that 720P is 1080 x 720 res at 60 frames per second and the EVO does not do that. Is that true? RECORD?

Check out this video taken by Engadget just before the EVO was revealed. The rep states multiple times that the camera will record up to 720p video:

http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/806002fd

jstew10

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
This is a basic hardware question that I hope will be easy to answer: With many phones these days you get a headset that has a mic and controls the phone (at least to switch between audio and calls). Will the Evo have this functionality? Do other HTC/Sense/Android phones have these? Will my Pre headphones work with an HTC phone? Or do I have to step up to BlueTooth to get this functionality?

After driving with a phone that switches between my podcasts and a call, I can't go backwards. And no, I don't even have a working stereo in my car, let alone bluetooth.

jpdaballa

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
My question is, something I was always jealous of the iphone was when you where in a call, you could conference people, then put one person on hold or hang up on one person...

can the evo do this on the 4g network?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I know mp4 definitely. Thats what I currently convert my files over to, to play them on my Hero. It would be interesting (and a lot easier for me) if they support .avi. From what I understand, I believe the moment supports .avi out the box, would be nice if this thing does as well.

Handbrake is a great piece of software. The quality of the videos is second to none! audio and video are just stunning. I highly recommend using it (FREE) to convert your videos.

michaelcalabasas

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
HTC sucks no matter what they Invent & I-Phone rocks!

OK, OK. We got it. You guys still have plenty of (very good!) questions regarding the Sprint Evo 4G. So let's make things easier on everybody and get them all in one place. What else do you want to know about the Evo 4G? Post your Q's in this thread, and we'll get you some A's. Promise.

Here is the reason why?
1st of all the battery life of HTC sucks.

2nd once, you get to 256mb or in a new 4g phone 500mb you cannot download more apps , cannot run them or save em or run em from SD Card.

so, whats the use of buying HTC phones when you cannot download the apps you like & enjoy!

So, apple wins. You think HTC is coming out with something new 4g, wait when apple releases his new phone it will be all over.

I don't mind a bigger screen. I, actually would enjoy a bigger screen then what I have is an HTC Hero. I am happy that I dropped Blackerry for HTC Hero but, cannot download apps so, if Sprint does not get an Iphone I am going to ATT & I am a very new customer of Sprint + I have started to notice that I am getting a lot of dropped calls which I thought Sprint was good for.:rolleyes:

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Please-dont-feed-the-trolls.jpg

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Here is the reason why?
1st of all the battery life of HTC sucks.

2nd once, you get to 256mb or in a new 4g phone 500mb you cannot download more apps , cannot run them or save em or run em from SD Card.

so, whats the use of buying HTC phones when you cannot download the apps you like & enjoy!

So, apple wins. You think HTC is coming out with something new 4g, wait when apple releases his new phone it will be all over.

I don't mind a bigger screen. I, actually would enjoy a bigger screen then what I have is an HTC Hero. I am happy that I dropped Blackerry for HTC Hero but, cannot download apps so, if Sprint does not get an Iphone I am going to ATT & I am a very new customer of Sprint + I have started to notice that I am getting a lot of dropped calls which I thought Sprint was good for.:rolleyes:

mkay, byebye now

Hate to be the barer of bad news, but the iphones battery life sucks.