How I Feel About Android

DannyMichel

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I have to be honest, I was an iPhone user, but had to settle for an Android since, at this point, it is the second best IMO. I have to say that while Android has it's charms, it's still nowhere near iOS. I like this phone and am hoping Google has some plan to drastically change/update it with a totally newer version to compete with iOS. Are they?

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I have to be honest, I was an iPhone user, but had to settle for an Android since, at this point, it is the second best IMO. I have to say that while Android has it's charms, it's still nowhere near iOS. I like this phone and am hoping Google has some plan to drastically change/update it with a totally newer version to compete with iOS. Are they?

Buy another iPhone and we'll keep you informed. Android isn't supposed to be like iOS. android is for people who like to tinker. iPhone is for people who need someone to tell them "no, you can't do that".

DannyMichel

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Buy another iPhone and we'll keep you informed. Android isn't supposed to be like iOS. android is for people who like to tinker. iPhone is for people who need someone to tell them "no, you can't do that".
I never said anything to give anyone the impression I was looking for something 'like iOS'. I did say I wanted something as good
i 'tinker' plenty

asd216

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
What makes ios better to you? IPhone are so great but yet, no one can answer that question...you know the answer I get? More apps....:-/

DannyMichel

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'll give you a couple basic examples.
Functionality----
Mail: Not true IMAP when IMAP is selected. Can't chose mail path prefix. Can't chose folders
Design----
Text Messages: Buttons on the right side(EVO) are easily pressed accidentally, interfering with text messages. No send button in landscape mode

All in all----
Basic, core OS fixes are not addressed, but pay apps are made instead

This is without getting too deep. I really can go on

asd216

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I have no issue with email, since I use gmail, and hardware is irrelevant at this point...iOS is locked down, as where Android is open for development. Don't get me wrong I'm not an iHater, I'm just not a fan of Apple and their evilness lol they over price their products and tell you that you can't mod your property...

DannyMichel

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
But again, those are just a couple basic examples. I haven't even talked about how slow and choppy it is. This is on a stock phone. Scrolling through emails and texts during the first couple seconds in any given app is slow because the app hasn't loaded properly yet. everything on the android is about how to 'fix' the severely lacking default OS. So many apps to fix things that should be stock options or functionality. I apologize for the triple post

Last edited:

Skipperdaddy

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I've never owned an iphone, but this is my 2nd android phone and i love it. I've seen people switch to and from iphones and love i hate it.. Guess irt boils down to each his own.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'll give you a couple basic examples.
Functionality----
Mail: Not true IMAP when IMAP is selected. Can't chose mail path prefix. Can't chose folders
Design----
Text Messages: Buttons on the right side(EVO) are easily pressed accidentally, interfering with text messages. No send button in landscape mode

All in all----
Basic, core OS fixes are not addressed, but pay apps are made instead

This is without getting too deep. I really can go on

Well, your second issue (the buttons) has nothing to do with the OS and everything to do with the phone you chose to buy. Maybe you'd rather have true buttons similar to what the Droids have (which I think are actual buttons you have to press vs. touch ones). Not sure how long you've had your phone, but it took me all of about a day to get used to them and rarely press them accidentally now. Anyways, it's a hardware (or arguably a user) issue as opposed to an Android OS problem.

I don't use IMAP, but use Exchange and Gmail and have options for folders. Not sure what the issue is with IMAP since I've never used it. I'm not sure, but perhaps another email app would address your issue (like K9 mail, for example)

To be honest, I've never had an iPhone, but have an iPad 2, which I assume is a similar experience to the iPhone. I personally pretty much despise iOS. No Flash, no options for alternative keyboards, only one email signature that gets used on all of your email accounts (although there may be an app to correct this), no widgets (just screen after screen of icons), pretty much everything about the app store blows chunks, other than the apps themselves (navigation, searching, filtering, etc are all just a horrible horrible experience), etc. About the only thing I like about it over my EVO is the bigger screen. I really only have it because the company bought one for me.

Regardless, you should be using the OS that suits you. If Android doesn't meet your needs, use iOS.

Reactions: Jerzyiroc

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
OP...You can use gmail in IMAP mode and map your mails to any folder you want. If you have M$ Office, you can map your exchange server straight to the HTC Mail App and do the same thing. The argument you presented is moot. You prefer a device that does it for you instead of taking 5 minutes and doing it yourself. If you do it wrong in Android, you can fix it. If iOS sets it up and you don't like it, you're screwed. If you want multiple emails for your businesses (I doubt you own 3 companies, but we'll say you do for the sake of argument) NitroDesk has a great email prog called Touchdown. If you own 3 companies surely you can afford the $20.00 for the download with the money you saved on an Evo4G over an iPhone. Period.

If you're even halfway computer literate, you can find Touchdown on the Internets for FREE....I did.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch