"Search People" widget/app gone after factory wiping the Shift (after 2.3 upgrade)

kohn

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 launch day EVO Shift?s (Sprint) that I have recently upgraded to Gingerbread. The update went fine but after a few days of using it I was getting a lot of force closes so I decided to wipe it back to factory and reinstall. After doing that, it works fine EXECPT 1 BIG missing feature, oversight, or bug in 2.3?. no built in ?Search People? app, widget or shortcut. There is just no way to make a search people icon on a home screen. I checked my wife?s Shift which was a 2.2 to 2.3 upgrade and it has the Search People just fine, but no way to re-make the widget if we wipe it or we get a replacement phone. It?s no place under widgets, apps, or shortcuts. Very odd!

I?ve searched all over and then called HTC and they confirmed that 2.3 is missing search people UNLESS you upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3, then that function stays.
So now the only way to search my 1,500+ contacts is by clicking People then click the search function. While it?s not the end of the world, I make more than 100 calls a day and use(d) search people for 99% of those calls.

When I called HTC they apologized over and over, but have offered no fix. No flash back to 2.2 and then upgrade again to 2.3 which will work, no replacement device because it would come with 2.3. Basically we?re SOL until they decide what they want to do.

Anyone know of where I can download a 2.2 or have a better solution than me pulling my hair out with every call? Any help is most appreciated!!

Jeff

DaWeav

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I would really look through the XDA Forums for the EVO Shift to see if anyone has tried to flash the original stock ROM over the 2.3. It does appear that they have different 'radio' firmware and stuff so it could be very dicey. XDA WiKi for the Speedy apparently has the official delivered ROM. It seems the developers over there use it as the base to create their custom ROMs. Enjoy reading...

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know there's currently no way to revert back to froyo. Until root is found for the GB update, your going to have to stick with what you have. You can use the google search widget to search people from your homescreen. Just when you place the widget select all or contacts.

Sent from my Gingerbread Speedy 4G using Tapatalk