HTC Sync for Outlook

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
HTC has a special version of HTC Sync for the Flyer, so you cannot use the HTC Sync that you use with your HTC phone. I have not tried it but HTC support says that you cannot run both versions on the same computer, which would be no problem for me since I have my laptop and desktop Outlooks synchronized, so I can sync my phone with my desktop pc and the Flyer with mu laptop. I know you can use Google to sync and I do with my calendar, but I am not comfortable with trusting Google with private client information that I keep in Outlook Contacts. I have linked two programs which allows for seamless synchronization of Outlook and your Android phone or Flyer, if anyone is interested. Click on the following link if you want to download HTC Sync for the Flyer.

HTC - Support

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
THANKS 4 opening this forum, SP. Does anyone else find the caps key sticking?

Did u say you hav 2 modes of syncing w/Outlook? Or were you referring to the google thing? Google's unacceptable to me for any of my syncing.

Posted from my Flyer, by the way. :)

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
THANKS 4 opening this forum, SP. Does anyone else find the caps key sticking?

Did u say you hav 2 modes of syncing w/Outlook? Or were you referring to the google thing? Google's unacceptable to me for any of my syncing.

Posted from my Flyer, by the way. :)

The HTC Sync software will synchronize Outlook Contacts and Calendar with your Flyer, but your Computer and the Flyer have to be physically connected by the included cable. My business lives off of Outlook Contacts and Outlook Notes and as I said I am not trusting Google with my Contacts, so I use HTC Sync for contacts. Calendar is not confidential, so I use Google for that one and it is always up to date. Outlook Notes synchronization is critical for me, so I use a plug-in for Outlook called ?Gsyncit? that synchronizes Notes with Google Docs, then I use Documents to Go on my phone and Flyer to stay synchronized with my Outlook Notes but I do route it through Google docs. It sounds complicated but it is not and once you get it setup it works without a glitch. There are some programs available that claim to synchronize your android device, but I have found none that are reliable and I have looked at Google Business but it does not support Outlook Notes. I am looking at Office 365 and have signed on as a beta tester, which claims to support multiple computers and mobile devices and full Office synchronization.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I understand how HTC Sync works because I've always used it for my puter Outlook Calendar to transfer to my Inspire 4G. It's been great till the last time when HTC Sync permitted some events that were still on my Inspire to return into my Outlook Calendar (where they'd already been deleted). These were almost impossible to delete from my Outlook Calendar (many clicks per event were required) and a huge headache---close to 100.

My most complete Contacts database lives in my Inspire and should fly via Bluetooth right into my Flyer. So, I'm not concerned about Contacts but I surely am about the Calendar.

Googled the Office 365 you mentioned; however I don't want my Calendar living in anyone's cloud and I surely don't want to have to pay for a way to get my Calendar from puter to tab! That seems ridiculous to me. There has to be a way . . .

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I understand how HTC Sync works because I've always used it for my puter Outlook Calendar to transfer to my Inspire 4G. It's been great till the last time when HTC Sync permitted some events that were still on my Inspire to return into my Outlook Calendar (where they'd already been deleted). These were almost impossible to delete from my Outlook Calendar (many clicks per event were required) and a huge headache---close to 100.

My most complete Contacts database lives in my Inspire and should fly via Bluetooth right into my Flyer. So, I'm not concerned about Contacts but I surely am about the Calendar.

Googled the Office 365 you mentioned; however I don't want my Calendar living in anyone's cloud and I surely don't want to have to pay for a way to get my Calendar from puter to tab! That seems ridiculous to me. There has to be a way . . .

The HTC Sync for the Flyer is a more full featured program than the one for your Inspire. Sync for the Flyer allows you to sync much more than just Outlook, allowing you to select additional items like documents, bookmarks, music, and more. I agree that HTC sync doesn't handle deletions very well, because you do not have the option to retain both events when there is a conflict. I will look at the version for the Flyer and let you know if there are more options. The one problem that I have mentioned is the inability to use both versions of HTC Sync on the same computer. I have tried various other sync options and have found nothing that works well, beyond cobbling together a method that works for the individual based on what you trust to the Cloud, be it Google's or someone else?s. Basically we are caught in the Google/Android vs. Microsoft fight with the business world clinging to MS Office and Google marketing itself and Google business.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
The HTC Sync for the Flyer is a more full featured program than the one for your Inspire. Sync for the Flyer allows you to sync much more than just Outlook, allowing you to select additional items like documents, bookmarks, music, and more. I agree that HTC sync doesn't handle deletions very well, because you do not have the option to retain both events when there is a conflict. I will look at the version for the Flyer and let you know if there are more options. The one problem that I have mentioned is the inability to use both versions of HTC Sync on the same computer. I have tried various other sync options and have found nothing that works well, beyond cobbling together a method that works for the individual based on what you trust to the Cloud, be it Google's or someone else’s. Basically we are caught in the Google/Android vs. Microsoft fight with the business world clinging to MS Office and Google marketing itself and Google business.

My Inspire HTC Sync includes docs, music, calendar, contacts, bookmarks, etcetera.

I am curious to see the HTC Sync for the Flyer; perhaps I'll have time this eve to do the Sync thing . . . :)

Your last statement is an excellent summary of a major prob!

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
My Inspire HTC Sync includes docs, music, calendar, contacts, bookmarks, etcetera.

I am curious to see the HTC Sync for the Flyer; perhaps I'll have time this eve to do the Sync thing . . . :)

Your last statement is an excellent summary of a major prob!
Possibly there is a version of HTC sync for my Incredible that the extra sync categories but we still lack a full synchronization option without utilizing some aspect of the cloud.

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
HTC has a sync program for phones and a separate one for the Flyer tablet, as previously stated. The program installs drivers for the Flyer so it is doubtful that it would work with the Thrive. I have gone to hosted exchange email with GoDaddy and have eliminated all of my synchronization issues with my phone, tablet, desktop, and laptop. Less than $6 /month is a cheap price to me for convenience.

IT Service Professional, I Just Want a Device to Be Productive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez