Rooting after recent OTA update

chevyflames

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok I'm about to root my Hero. But I have read in several places that the recent OTA update released by HTC fixed the exploit that made it possible to root. Is this true? If so am I out of luck?

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok I'm about to root my Hero. But I have read in several places that the recent OTA update released by HTC fixed the exploit that made it possible to root. Is this true? If so am I out of luck?

Your still in luck. Look for my thread that say guide rooting 2.1. Follow the link,you have to run the ruu with .5 and then you can. If it noting this page try page 2.

chevyflames

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Your still in luck. Look for my thread that say guide rooting 2.1. Follow the link,you have to run the ruu with .5 and then you can. If it noting this page try page 2.

Sweet! I thought I may have been out of luck. But it's all good! I'll just post here if I run into any problems.

chevyflames

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
So I'm at the point where I am installing the USB Drivers and I'm installing the driver software to the phone. But for some odd reason when I select on my phone to mount the sd card it gives me this error saying "Warning..... No sdcard detected!.... Application cannot run normly." I don't understand since my computer reconized my phone and the SD card then it obviously is functioning. So I just decided to reformat the SD thinking that may solve the problem. No Luck.... Any ideas on what to do?

chevyflames

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Really because I'm following the instructions from <url>http://www.androidcentral.com/sdk-driver-root-oh-my</url>
and is states "Now, plug your phone in, just as if you were going to transfer a song or a picture. But this time don't pull down the shade and mount the SD card. You'll get a "Found New Hardware" message from Windows.

Select "Locate and install driver software."

Select "Don't search online."

Select "I don't have the disk. Show me other options."

Select "Browse my computer for driver software."

Now browse to the SDK folder, and point Windows to the folder named usb_driver. Click the image below to enlarge it and see the usb_driver folder inside your Android SDK."

So I am kinda confused then....

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I was meaning you don't install drivers to your phone. You use your phone and mount SD,so your pc will find that drivers it needs to recognize your phone.

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
you also dont need to mount your phone in disc drive mode there either. you want to mount it as Charge Only so windoze sees it as a device.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
It should be adb. If your pc has problems with drivers install pdanet it will give you all the drivers you will need.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Can you give a little detail,it might give help to figure this out. Where are you at on the guide(adb devices)?

chevyflames

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently on this guide http://www.androidcentral.com/sdk-driver-root-oh-my and I am at the stage where you install the USB driver (step 2). After I turn debugging on it tells me to plug phone in and download usb_driver from the SDK folder. The problem I am running into is that everytime I plug my phone in windows doesn't give me a notification that it is searching for updates. But according to the guide I should "Now, plug your phone in, just as if you were going to transfer a song or a picture. But this time don't pull down the shade and mount the SD card. You'll get a "Found New Hardware" message from Windows. "

chevyflames

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok. Well I just ended up plugging my phone in and going to Device Mangager then went to "Update Driver Software". Which does the same thing as the tutorial. But when I do the step of "Leave "Include subfolders" checked, and click "Next." Windows might ask you if you're sure. Say yes if it does." When I click next a window pops up saying this..."Windows has determined the software for your device is up to date." So if it is up to date do I just skip the step about the USB Drivers?

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok. Well I just ended up plugging my phone in and going to Device Mangager then went to "Update Driver Software". Which does the same thing as the tutorial. But when I do the step of "Leave "Include subfolders" checked, and click "Next." Windows might ask you if you're sure. Say yes if it does." When I click next a window pops up saying this..."Windows has determined the software for your device is up to date." So if it is up to date do I just skip the step about the USB Drivers?

I would.Try to getting to the point were you type in
adb devices
If the above returns your serial number,then you should be good to go.

chevyflames

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I would.Try to getting to the point were you type in
adb devices
If the above returns your serial number,then you should be good to go.

Yes I do receive a serial number in return.

Now when I input this code into the command prompt.

"adb push asroot2 /data/local/

adb shell

chmod 0755 /data/local/asroot2

/data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh"

I don't get the response the guide told me that I should have gotten. Which should be this...

"$ /data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh
[+] Using newer pope_inode_info layout
Opening: /proc/857/fd/3
SUCCESS: Enjoy the shell.
# "

I get this instead this output...

"[1] killed /data/local/asroot2/system/bin/sh"

Any ideas where I went wrong?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members