Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rooting after recent OTA update

Ok I'm about to root my Hero. But I have read in several places that the recent OTA update released by HTC fixed the exploit that made it possible to root. Is this true? If so am I out of luck?

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Extra Crispy

Quote Originally Posted by chevyflames View Post
    Ok I'm about to root my Hero. But I have read in several places that the recent OTA update released by HTC fixed the exploit that made it possible to root. Is this true? If so am I out of luck?
    Your still in luck. Look for my thread that say guide rooting 2.1. Follow the link,you have to run the ruu with .5 and then you can. If it noting this page try page 2.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by beezy420 View Post
    Your still in luck. Look for my thread that say guide rooting 2.1. Follow the link,you have to run the ruu with .5 and then you can. If it noting this page try page 2.
    Sweet! I thought I may have been out of luck. But it's all good! I'll just post here if I run into any problems.

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Extra Crispy

Sweet! I thought I may have been out of luck. But it's all good! I'll just post here if I run into any problems.
    Cool,I should be around for awhile.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

So I'm at the point where I am installing the USB Drivers and I'm installing the driver software to the phone. But for some odd reason when I select on my phone to mount the sd card it gives me this error saying "Warning..... No sdcard detected!.... Application cannot run normly." I don't understand since my computer reconized my phone and the SD card then it obviously is functioning. So I just decided to reformat the SD thinking that may solve the problem. No Luck.... Any ideas on what to do?

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Extra Crispy

You shouldn't have to install drivers to your phone.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Really because I'm following the instructions from <url>http://www.androidcentral.com/sdk-driver-root-oh-my</url>
    and is states "Now, plug your phone in, just as if you were going to transfer a song or a picture. But this time don't pull down the shade and mount the SD card. You'll get a "Found New Hardware" message from Windows.

Select "Locate and install driver software."

Select "Don't search online."

Select "I don't have the disk. Show me other options."

Select "Browse my computer for driver software."

Now browse to the SDK folder, and point Windows to the folder named usb_driver. Click the image below to enlarge it and see the usb_driver folder inside your Android SDK."

So I am kinda confused then....

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Extra Crispy

I was meaning you don't install drivers to your phone. You use your phone and mount SD,so your pc will find that drivers it needs to recognize your phone.

ROM
    JB 4.1.1

you also dont need to mount your phone in disc drive mode there either. you want to mount it as Charge Only so windoze sees it as a device.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Alright I got all of that sorted out. The only problem is windows is saying I don't have a "ABD" driver installed.

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Extra Crispy

It should be adb. If your pc has problems with drivers install pdanet it will give you all the drivers you will need.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

It should be adb. If your pc has problems with drivers install pdanet it will give you all the drivers you will need.
    Alright I will give pdanet a shot. Hopefully it works!
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Nope no luck. Running out of ideas of what else to do.

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Extra Crispy

Can you give a little detail,it might give help to figure this out. Where are you at on the guide(adb devices)?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

I'm currently on this guide http://www.androidcentral.com/sdk-driver-root-oh-my and I am at the stage where you install the USB driver (step 2). After I turn debugging on it tells me to plug phone in and download usb_driver from the SDK folder. The problem I am running into is that everytime I plug my phone in windows doesn't give me a notification that it is searching for updates. But according to the guide I should "Now, plug your phone in, just as if you were going to transfer a song or a picture. But this time don't pull down the shade and mount the SD card. You'll get a "Found New Hardware" message from Windows. "

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Extra Crispy

Have you tried rebooting your pc?

pull down the shade and select htc sync. that will force the ADB device to be active.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Ok. Well I just ended up plugging my phone in and going to Device Mangager then went to "Update Driver Software". Which does the same thing as the tutorial. But when I do the step of "Leave "Include subfolders" checked, and click "Next." Windows might ask you if you're sure. Say yes if it does." When I click next a window pops up saying this..."Windows has determined the software for your device is up to date." So if it is up to date do I just skip the step about the USB Drivers?

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Extra Crispy

Ok. Well I just ended up plugging my phone in and going to Device Mangager then went to "Update Driver Software". Which does the same thing as the tutorial. But when I do the step of "Leave "Include subfolders" checked, and click "Next." Windows might ask you if you're sure. Say yes if it does." When I click next a window pops up saying this..."Windows has determined the software for your device is up to date." So if it is up to date do I just skip the step about the USB Drivers?
    I would.Try to getting to the point were you type in
    adb devices
    If the above returns your serial number,then you should be good to go.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

I would.Try to getting to the point were you type in
    adb devices
    If the above returns your serial number,then you should be good to go.
    Yes I do receive a serial number in return.

Now when I input this code into the command prompt.

"adb push asroot2 /data/local/

adb shell

chmod 0755 /data/local/asroot2

/data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh"

I don't get the response the guide told me that I should have gotten. Which should be this...

"$ /data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh
    [+] Using newer pope_inode_info layout
    Opening: /proc/857/fd/3
    SUCCESS: Enjoy the shell.
    # "

I get this instead this output...

"[1] killed /data/local/asroot2/system/bin/sh"

Any ideas where I went wrong?

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Extra Crispy

Yes I do receive a serial number in return.

Now when I input this code into the command prompt.

"adb push asroot2 /data/local/

adb shell

chmod 0755 /data/local/asroot2

/data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh"

I don't get the response the guide told me that I should have gotten. Which should be this...

"$ /data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh
    [+] Using newer pope_inode_info layout
    Opening: /proc/857/fd/3
    SUCCESS: Enjoy the shell.
    # "

I get this instead this output...

"[1] killed /data/local/asroot2/system/bin/sh"

Any ideas where I went wrong?
    Thats the guide to root 1.5 you need to use this guide to root 2.1.
    [GUIDE] How to Root Sprint 2.1 Release for CDMA Hero - xda-developers
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Thats the guide to root 1.5 you need to use this guide to root 2.1.
    [GUIDE] How to Root Sprint 2.1 Release for CDMA Hero - xda-developers
    Well that may be a little problem. :o

Since I downloaded the OTA update recently I have to run the RUU to get my phone back to .5 from .6. It seems to be running the RUU client fine until it gets to 85%. From there the client closes out and gives me this message.. "Error 171 USB not connected". I had this problem when trying to update to 2.1. Never could figure it out so I ended up just taking it to the Sprint store and got them to update it for me. Are you familiar with a fix to this error?

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Are you running a 64 bit windows OS?

If so, then it is a driver problem. It's been well documented for the 8 months the phone has been out. Windows always installs the wrong drivers on Vista and 7 64 bit. Go into Device Manager, and check to see the description of your phone there. You want it to say "My HTC". If it says anything else, update the driver manually by browsing to the location where you installed HTC Sync and picking the x64 drivers. After that, your phone description should change to "My HTC" in Device Manager.

You may have to do this twice as the phone will detect differently when it reboots to recovery as part of the RUU. When it does this, you will probably have to check the drivers in Device Manager and change them to read "My HTC" again. After that, reboot the phone and run the RUU again.

See if that works.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy682 View Post
    Are you running a 64 bit windows OS?

If so, then it is a driver problem. It's been well documented for the 8 months the phone has been out. Windows always installs the wrong drivers on Vista and 7 64 bit. Go into Device Manager, and check to see the description of your phone there. You want it to say "My HTC". If it says anything else, update the driver manually by browsing to the location where you installed HTC Sync and picking the x64 drivers. After that, your phone description should change to "My HTC" in Device Manager.

You may have to do this twice as the phone will detect differently when it reboots to recovery as part of the RUU. When it does this, you will probably have to check the drivers in Device Manager and change them to read "My HTC" again. After that, reboot the phone and run the RUU again.

See if that works.
    Yes I am aware of the issue. I manually installed the drivers awhile back. So my phone does display as "My HTC". Can't seem to find the problem out since everywhere online says that that the drivers are the cause of the error.

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Yes I am aware of the issue. I manually installed the drivers awhile back. So my phone does display as "My HTC". Can't seem to find the problem out since everywhere online says that that the drivers are the cause of the error.
    Maybe try a different USB cord? I know one of my cords will randomly disconnect from a slightly loose connection in the phone.