Noob here trying to figure out a couple things

xxwckdxx

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok i haven't even got my hero yet, it's ordered and i have been reading and reading and the more i read more confused i get....i want to root the phone but my questions is can someone explain a couple things? I read alot of people are happy with Fresh 1.1 w/ the Gumbo Kernel???? Ok so when i get my phone do i use pre-kitchen to root i then i flash Fresh 1.1 and then Gumbo????? I keep reading the guides inc. but without pictures or the phone in front of me its hard for me to comprehend the whole process.

Thanks

wkj

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Friendly suggestion: Why not just enjoy your new phone for what it is first. Get to know and understand it, then start getting technical. Lifes to short to worry about rooting, kernels and whatnot......hec.you don't even have your phone yet. :)

wkj

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Friendly suggestion: Why not just enjoy your new phone for what it is first. Get to know and understand it, then start getting technical. Lifes to short to worry about rooting, kernels and whatnot......hec.you don't even have your phone yet. :)

wkj

True dat, I know all thats possible with rooting, but after coming from a pre where patching is necessary to get any achievable use out of the phone, I opted not to root my phone. I ultimately will wait until the update to see if I want to root it. I think I would benefit from Apps to SD since I have almost no space on my phone.

highwayman1224

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site

reagan247

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I think WKJ gave the guy some good advice. Why worry about all that crap till you get the the phone & see if you like it first.

I get what you're saying, and even agree... the problem is, just reading the OP you can tell that the poster has invested some serious time into researching "rooting" and has made their mind up to do so once they get the phone. Why not just point the poster in the right direction for CLEAR and CONCISE information, instead of interjecting our opinions and taking the thread post off topic? That's all I was trying to do.

Sheesh... this place is turning into PreCentral

xxwckdxx

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
got the phone last night rooted this morning with Fresh 1.1 rom and Gumbo Kernel also installed setcpu and downloaded a bunch of apps....now to order my seidio case

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry I wasn't around to chime in with my 1.5 cents :D

I've been looking for someone of a Windows PC (who knows how to take screenshots) who is interested in rooting their Hero to assist in writing the definitive "AC presents HTC Hero - Hacking For Dummies".

I'm glad you got it sorted out though. Have fun with your new and improved Hero :)

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

I've been looking for someone of a Windows PC (who knows how to take screenshots) who is interested in rooting their Hero to assist in writing the definitive "AC presents HTC Hero - Hacking For Dummies".

I'm glad you got it sorted out though. Have fun with your new and improved Hero :)

Well if no one does so and I get a windows PC before 2.1 comes out... I'll be your guinea pig. Actually, I have a Windows Vista PC, but I'm actually trying to sell it.

Roberts.Tyler3289

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

gb... I just got a replacement phone from sprint, and have to unroot the original before i sent it back, i would be happy to unroot, and then take screen shots of rooting the phone, pm and let me know if you would like my help, and what i need to do

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Well if no one does so and I get a windows PC before 2.1 comes out... I'll be your guinea pig. Actually, I have a Windows Vista PC, but I'm actually trying to sell it.

gb... I just got a replacement phone from sprint, and have to unroot the original before i sent it back, i would be happy to unroot, and then take screen shots of rooting the phone, pm and let me know if you would like my help, and what i need to do

Thanks for the offers guys. I'm really looking for someone who has absolutely no idea about Android rooting to test a newbie-friendly walkthrough for our hacking forums. By now you're both old pros :D