What devices are you switching from?

Chris Bell3

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
iPhone 4s. I'm also bored with it and want a larger screen. I'm fine with iTunes though. I actually like it, but I'm a fan of metadata in general and iTunes is a metadata based database. Also, I use a MacBook Pro with lightning fast SSD so iTunes does not feel bulky in the slightest.

go3go

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I find ios to just be stale, maybe it's a "grass is always greener on the other side" sort of deal but it just seems to me like there are more interesting application options on Android.

I agree, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with it (ios is great for certain people) but I know when I fiddled around with my gf's 5 it felt like the exact same phone I'd been using. At that point it was felt like if I'm going to be throwing down a decent amount of money on a phone I want it to at least be something new.

gramamoose

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a Nexus S 4G...
I've enjoyed having the somewhat latest version of Android readily available but it's time for a new phone. Sometimes takes FOREVER to open an app (30 seconds isn't quite forever but compared to new phones that just work it is haha). And my battery life is NON Existent!
So I am a little concerned to get a non Nexus device but I don't have an option on Sprint anymore. Plus we have yet to get LTE in Vegas while the WiMax is more than satisfactory!
But I want this phone!

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
iPhone 4s. I'm also bored with it and want a larger screen. I'm fine with iTunes though. I actually like it, but I'm a fan of metadata in general and iTunes is a metadata based database. Also, I use a MacBook Pro with lightning fast SSD so iTunes does not feel bulky in the slightest.

i don't mind itunes for playing music and organizing music, I just hate Apple's sync setup. I'd rather drag what I want over to the device and be done with it, rather then jump through all the hoops.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
i don't mind itunes for playing music and organizing music, I just hate Apple's sync setup. I'd rather drag what I want over to the device and be done with it, rather then jump through all the hoops.

What hoops? All you do is check what you want synced over.

I can understand liking drag and drop better, along with actually having some control over the file system, but for syncing music, videos, books, and apps, iTunes is the best.

As for what device I'm coming from, its an iPhone 5, though to be fair I carry two iPhone 5s (one for work, one for personal). I will be replacing my personal phone with unlimited data with the HTC One, while my work phone will remain an iPhone 5.

acrewdog

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Evo 3D. It's getting old but still runs like a champ. Biggest problems are small onboard memory (>1GB) and battery is wearing out. I just got an update for it the other day. The aluminum frame and overall build quality of this phone are driving me to the ONE. That and big speakers, the 3D is so darn quiet!

indomie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I'll be switching from an EVO 3D which I got when it released. It is still in remarkably good condition and I haven't had any of the problems some others have reported.

In fact, I took a bad fall down a flight of stairs at my house two weeks ago (not alcohol related - foot was asleep!) and the 3D went flying, hit a wall, and then bounced the rest of the way down the stairs. Once I picked myself up, I saw pieces all over the landing & was sure the phone was destroyed. Surprisingly, the pieces were just the battery cover & battery. There was a little scuff on the corner & the metal holding the screen in place on the left side of the phone is loose, but it is otherwise still working like a champ. I know that's partially dumb luck, but I also have to credit HTC because a lesser phone would have exploded. I ended up in worse shape than the phone... ;)

sclRanger

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
My first smart phone was (is, still have it) an HTC Pure (warhawk). Then got the SGS1 Captivate (still have it but the power button is messed up). I now have an iPhone 4s, trading it at BestBuy for the HTC One some time after May 29th.

mcelmeel17

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I will be switching from my nexus 4. I love it, don't get me wrong, but the build quality and sexyness that is the HTC One is too good to pass up. With that said, I will be keeping my nexus 4 and the second KLP comes out it will be my daily driver again (at least for the time being):). First world problems lol

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
What hoops? All you do is check what you want synced over.

I can understand liking drag and drop better, along with actually having some control over the file system, but for syncing music, videos, books, and apps, iTunes is the best.

As for what device I'm coming from, its an iPhone 5, though to be fair I carry two iPhone 5s (one for work, one for personal). I will be replacing my personal phone with unlimited data with the HTC One, while my work phone will remain an iPhone 5.

I'm not going to start an apple vs android war here but the main reason why I have trouble with it is because I change operating systems/re-install fairly often. Because of this I need to try to keep an up to date copy of my itunes library backed up, otherwise the damn thing want's to wipe my phone when I try to sync, then you need to authorize the computer each time and apple gives you a limited number of authorizations each year and I've run up against that limit before, then there is itunes' annoying policy of deleting items off my phone that are not in my computers itunes library. Then there are the numerous sync errors and format constraints that annoy me constantly.

I understand that most of the problems are caused by how I use my devices but it annoys me that we aren't given a drag and drop option. I know that syncing works great for most people, but using my phone more like a flash drive works far better for me.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm not going to start an apple vs android war here but the main reason why I have trouble with it is because I change operating systems/re-install fairly often. Because of this I need to try to keep an up to date copy of my itunes library backed up, otherwise the damn thing want's to wipe my phone when I try to sync, then you need to authorize the computer each time and apple gives you a limited number of authorizations each year and I've run up against that limit before, then there is itunes' annoying policy of deleting items off my phone that are not in my computers itunes library. Then there are the numerous sync errors and format constraints that annoy me constantly.

I understand that most of the problems are caused by how I use my devices but it annoys me that we aren't given a drag and drop option. I know that syncing works great for most people, but using my phone more like a flash drive works far better for me.

No need for a "war", both operating system are fantastic in their own right. I completely agree with you though if your often wiping your drive and reinstalling, I remember have to resync after format and reinstalling windows in the past. It was a major pain, and itunes performance on windows is horrible.

Though I guess that doesn't bother me quite as much as it used to since I switched to a Mac and use iCloud for my backups. The only thing I still sync with iTunes is music, videos, and pictures. I just like it better because if I want to add some new wallpapers I just add it to wall papers folder and then sync over wifi and they're all transferred over, where as on android I have to save to my folder then transfer over only the new ones via USB or email them. Same with music, just add some songs to my playlist and they automatically transfer over.

Where it really sucks though is at transferring other files that don't fall into those groups. Really wish they would add a USB storage option along with a file manager, then we could get the best of both worlds.

scooter7

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I am upgrading from the EVO 3D. I got it the day it came out. I had paid full price for it as I had just gotten too damned frustrated with my Samsung Transform, which was just a few months old. The Transform was my first smartphone and I opted to go with the free smartphone instead of the EVO OG, which was a big mistake. I have had my upgrade available to me since November and have been holding out upgrading until LTE comes to Denver (we do have WIMAX). I love the EVO 3D and have not had any problems with it out side of the battery life diminishing a tad from over nearly 2 years of use and the lack of app storage space is starting to be a hassle. I have decided that I could live without LTE for a while as the 3G for Sprint is actually really good in Denver (have also noticed the 3G speeds improve around my home and work lately).

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
No need for a "war", both operating system are fantastic in their own right. I completely agree with you though if your often wiping your drive and reinstalling, I remember have to resync after for at and reinstalling windows in the past. It was a mager pain, and itunes performance on windows is horrible.

Though I guess that doesn't bother me quite as much as it used to since I switched to a Mac and use iCloud for my backups. The only thing I still sync with iTunes is music, videos, and pictures. I just like it better because if I want to add some new wallpapers I just add it to wall papers folder and the. Sync over wifi and they're all transferred over, where as on android I have to save to my folder then transfer over only the new ones via USB or email them. Same with music, just add some songs to my playlist and they automatically transfer over.

Where it really sucks though is at transferring other files that don't fall into those groups. Really wish they would add a USB storage option along with a file manager, then we could get the best of both worlds.

Yea, that would probably work best.