HTC One Charging Speed.

ZetecShearer1987

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I have just recently jumped over from the iphone 4s to the new HTC One, and its amazing. I have owned 1 previous android phone which was the galaxy s2 which wasnt great.

I have just one query regarding the htc one, which is the amount of time it takes to charge it. Now maybe its me as the iphone used to charge really quickly even from flat to full, but after owning the htc for a week, it does seem to take alot longer to charge up. This is also using the main plug to the phone.

its taking over 3 hours to charge up even if the battery is over 50% when i plug it in, and if i use the phone while its charging sometimes the charge goes down even though its on mains, and from 90% to 100% does take ages.

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site
According to all the reviews I've seen, the HTC One does have a longer charging cycle than a lot of other phones. I'll just adjust when I get mine and plan accordingly. :D

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
There are several things that affect how fast a device charges. To name a couple:

The devices capabilities - how fast does the phone allow it to be charged. If you know anything about kernels you know this can be altered.

What the device is doing while its charging - for instance a phone that's powered off will charge faster than one that's not

The capacity of the battery - larger battery, more to charge

The voltage of the charging source - lower voltage = slower charging. I use one that is capable of charging a tablet so its faster than a normal ac adapter.

I'd like to know what your device is doing in the background while its charging. IPhone do a good job with managing background process that drain battery life when the phone isn't used. And its mostly because its a different way of multitasking. While your phone may be syncing data while its charging thus delaying a full charge. Combine that with a couple other factors then you have longer charge cycles. But at this point I think its to be expected. You can also buy "fast chargers" but I'm not sure how they affect the phone in the long term.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

ZetecShearer1987

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses, i dont class the long charge times as a negative against the phone, just a minor point of interest that i wanted an answer for, when i do charge the phone normally i close all the apps from the multitasking page (double tap home button) and try not to use the phone, the time when the battery went down while charging was when i was watching youtube videos, it went from 96% to 95% then back up and back down again. I have only charge the phone from the mains plug in my house, i have not charge the phone yet off a usb connection to my macbook pro yet, but that will normally take longer anyway

Is there any other tips that anyone has about closing apps while the phone is charging or minimizing background processes.

Blaalad12

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
How long are you finding the charge time? This is probably the only gripe i have with the battery, Its taking around 4 hours to charge, a little longer if the phone is in use whilst charging plus i havent charged from 0%, i think it was somewhere between 10 - 15%

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Most li-ion phones have 2 forms of charging. They do a fast charge from 0-80%, and then from 81% to 100% is a slow trickle charge. I'm curious if HTC removed the fast charge?

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Most li-ion phones have 2 forms of charging. They do a fast charge from 0-80%, and then from 81% to 100% is a slow trickle charge. I'm curious if HTC removed the fast charge?

It's been said they removed the quick charge to extend the life of the battery seeing as its a pain to replace.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

iOS Gravity

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I have just recently jumped over from the iphone 4s to the new HTC One, and its amazing. I have owned 1 previous android phone which was the galaxy s2 which wasnt great.

I have just one query regarding the htc one, which is the amount of time it takes to charge it. Now maybe its me as the iphone used to charge really quickly even from flat to full, but after owning the htc for a week, it does seem to take alot longer to charge up. This is also using the main plug to the phone.

its taking over 3 hours to charge up even if the battery is over 50% when i plug it in, and if i use the phone while its charging sometimes the charge goes down even though its on mains, and from 90% to 100% does take ages.

Either you have a messed up charger or your phone is faulty. Something like this happened to me. I was using a charger that wasn't for the Nexus 7 I have, it was for the MY Touch 4g by T-Mobile. It took hours to get to 7%!!! I used the authentic charger that came with the tablet and it went from 0 to 20 in 10 minutes. Get another authentic battery and try that. Try another authentic charger and if that doesn't work contact your carrier if you purchased insurance for that or have a warranty and get it replaced. Hope I helped and if I helped I would appreciate a Thanks or a like and make sure that you have authentic material for your phone because that maybe the problem, but also make sure that the materials are meant to be used for your phone.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
The last 30% always takes longer than the first 70%. Keep in mind the battery is bigger in the One than the iPhone. The old Samsungs took forever to charge.

RickAfterDark

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Is there any other tips that anyone has about closing apps while the phone is charging or minimizing background processes.

I've noticed the same thing with my HTC One. Lately I've been checking the "power saver" option when it's charging, and it seems to charge almost twice as fast when that's checked. It helps that the phone (at least the Sprint version I have) leaves that one-touch option right at the top of the pull-down notifications menu all the time, so I just check it as needed.

chrgnthru

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed the same thing with my HTC One. Lately I've been checking the "power saver" option when it's charging, and it seems to charge almost twice as fast when that's checked. It helps that the phone (at least the Sprint version I have) leaves that one-touch option right at the top of the pull-down notifications menu all the time, so I just check it as needed.

Great tip! Going to try that as I usually need a quick charge during the work day and sometimes a quick top off after work.

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Either you have a messed up charger or your phone is faulty. Something like this happened to me. I was using a charger that wasn't for the Nexus 7 I have, it was for the MY Touch 4g by T-Mobile. It took hours to get to 7%!!! I used the authentic charger that came with the tablet and it went from 0 to 20 in 10 minutes. Get another authentic battery and try that. Try another authentic charger and if that doesn't work contact your carrier if you purchased insurance for that or have a warranty and get it replaced. Hope I helped and if I helped I would appreciate a Thanks or a like and make sure that you have authentic material for your phone because that maybe the problem, but also make sure that the materials are meant to be used for your phone.

incorrect

thetooth

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

The above statement is not correct at all. Micro usb charger is the same for all micro usb devices.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
The above statement is not correct at all. Micro usb charger is the same for all micro usb devices.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Do you even have a Nexus 7? What he stated is correct. None of my chargers will charge my N7 except my ASUS N7 charger.

Now, I routinely use my MOTOACTV (wrist watch) charger to charge my S4, and a Blackberry charger to charge my HTC One, but does that mean I'm ruining my battery? Probably. Not all USB plugs output the same mAH

As an example, I have 2 plugs in my hand, both end's are microUSB. One of them is a Sierra Wireless charger for an AT&T hotspot, the other is a plug for a Blackberry 9300. The part that goes into the wall? One of them says "Output: 5.2v - 1.2A" and the other says "Output: 5V - 750mA"

Both will charge either of my phones.. one chargers slower, one chargers faster. Both are probably causing corrosion on the cells in my batteries quicker..I've read many white-paper's on lithium ion batteries, USB chargers and proper voltages, so trust me on this.

I ALWAYS RECOMMEND USING THE CHARGER THAT CAME WITH THE DEVICE.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89