I've got an HTC One (M8), you have questions. Fire away.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: I've got an M8, you have questions. Fire away.

I assume there's no purple tint in low light when using the camera as in some models on the original One (M7). I had two HTC Ones with this camera issue and finally today I sent it directly to HTC for repair. Waiting crossing my fingers it will be fixed. I'm thinking of upgrading. I love my HTC One.

Probably too soon to tell. Hopefully it's resolved since they are using new camera modules correct?

I think Alex has responded and said no there's no purple tint. At least not in the phones AC were given to review. Though I haven't heard of the purple tint issue for the M8 anywhere, so I think HTC has fixed that issue.

Geo Rule

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

Last summer I bought a GS4 for my wife, after considering the M7. Yesterday I got an M8 for me after considering the GS5.

So what changed? A little bit of that is she values photos more than I do, and I value sound more than she does. That's some of it.

More of it is last year the M7 screen was significantly smaller than the GS4 and now the M8 screen is much closer in size to the GS5.

I've read some people say the lack of external memory capability on the M7 was a total deal-breaker for them. I'm not sure I'd go quite that far, but it was certainly a significant downcheck for me, and now that's addressed.

The camera situation is more complex than last year as well. Not just the focus thing on the rear shooter, tho some will find that interesting. . . the "selfie-cam" is going to be more important to some people than the rear shooter. I'm one of those people, and that's a clear win for the M8.

Maybe when I see the LG G3 I'll kick myself, but I doubt I'll have too much regret (and an extra three months to enjoy the phone) in the year I'm likely to have it before my next upgrade.

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

Well AFAIK, i guess the background color changes according to the time, during daytime it will be white and during nights it will be dark. Its like that for the analog clock widget!

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

I had many of these same complaints during the last One/S4 cycle and took heat for it. Our hosts fell in love with the One and openly rooted for the underdog.

HOWEVER, I notice a distinct difference this cycle both from Phil and the mods and they are MUCH more even handed. Just read Phil's initial impressions of the S5 and you'll see what I'm talking about.

As was pointed out, when the S4 embargo is lifted(any day) this place will have plenty of S5 fanfare and the HTC fans will crash the S5 boards.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

While I agree with you for the most part, I'm not convinced that the staff is far more even handed this year. Just not as brutal so last year. I don't think we will have quite the outlandish bickering from the staff and the public like last year. The fanbois are also far more calm then last year as well, Sofar.

Personally, I didn't get burnt like you did with my wife's One. But she was upset that she couldn't have such tiny little things (Phil's words in the last pod cast) like every other 2013 phone here in the US. But hey, who needs lock screen widgets and quick toggles?
Now I'm personally thinking of flipin my S4 for the all new One. But can someone tell me how long is peeps here in the US will have to wait for the ultra battery saver? I mean, what is with HTC and their lack of strength in order to give US consumers a finished product apon release?

Last time it took months, almost 6 before the US had all the features. How long this time Phil?

I've been silent for months regardless that I'm on every day. I guess it's time to take a pounding once more, now that the truth will be hard to swallow for some.

Posted via Android Central App

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

I have an M7, how can I change the HTC Weather Clock 4x1 to a white background as shown in this pic.

Well AFAIK, i guess the background color changes according to the time, during daytime it will be white and during nights it will be dark. Its like that for the analog clock widget!

iondubai

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site

They had a dual SIM version for the UK realase last year and that was actually popular around the world "i got one in Dubai" as there are so almost no high end phones with Dual Sim cards but the HTC lacked the 4G so will that have one with this model ? maybe you would know since YOU ARE THE MAN :)

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know if the 32GB Model will be available in the UK?
Unclear. Normal stores might not stock them, but they should be available online.
Is the M8 camera good enough as an everyday camera? I dont have time to mess with settings or mode. I just want to flip it out and click and put back in pocket. Kids pics and vacation or weekend outings. Maybe do post editing to a few. Then upload to PC. Will the M8 be sufficient for what i need?

Also, can the zoe finished movies be downloaded or saved into common video files (mp4? Etc) so it can play on pc and save to pc hardrive for future use?

M8 is fine for an everyday camera. In fact, that's probably what it's best at. And yes, Zoes/highlights can be saved as regular video files.

How well does the M8 handle in the Extreme Battery Saver Mode? Also, does the battery drain fast on 4G? I always felt that the M7 drained way too fast on 4.3/4.4.2 when using 4G.
Extreme is pretty basic. You get calls, texts, calendar, HTC mail and that's about it. Battery life on LTE is way better than M7, which I could kill in a couple of hours using 4G.

So I picked up the Verizon one about 30 mins after it became available yesterday afternoon. Lovin' it so far.

Any idea why when I look at the Power applet in the Settings I don't see the options for Power saver and Extreme power saving mode that I've seen screenshots of in the reviews? Is it hiding somewhere else? Do I somehow have an older version of the software (maybe the lead time to get boxed units to Verizon stores)?
Awaiting carrier approval — Extreme Power Saving mode missing on your new HTC One? Here's why ... | Android Central

How bright and visible is the Notification LED? Is green still the default color for notifications on the M8? The one on the M7 is in the speaker grill and is impossible (especially the green color) to see in daylight or basically in any condition other than pitch darkness.

Also, can you change what apps appear and what features get disabled in the Extreme Power Saving Mode?

Thank you guys again.
The LED is a tiny pin-sized thing behind the speaker grille, as usual. It's not as bright as the Nexus 5 (to say nothing of any Sony phone) and that could be good or bad depending on your perspective.

As for Extreme mode, nope, just the same five I mentioned above.

Last edited:

kenny1743

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a question, i had the previous HTC m7 and he rotary vibrator when insilence mode was too strong, as i would produce more noise than the ring itself (ok I exaggerate a bit). Can anyone tell me abou the M8 ? Is it subtle like hte Iphone 5S /LG G2 or does it make a lot of sound ?

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if the HTC One (M8) Dot View case is functional with the GPE edition? I'm going to guess the answer is "no" and that the Dot View functionality depends on Sense. But I thought I'd ask.
Unknown as no-one has a GPe yet. But Samsung got their S View case to work with the GPe GS4, so it's likely it'll at least do something with the GPe M8.

Hey so i would like to buy the One here in America because I'm here for a full year. But can I use it in Germany too when I go back?
Get the unlocked or dev editions and you'll be good. Only thing you'll miss out versus a Euro M8 on is 800MHz LTE (and possibly 900MHz HSPA?), which may or may not be an issue depending on your carrier.
is this an SDXC compatible micro sd device?
Yup. Up to 128GB.
Why is it whenever an HTC flagship launches AC posts several pages of reviews, news, and other BS nobody but HTC fanboys care about? We didn't even see this sort of fanfare for the S5, as usual. Honestly, I know Phil hates getting the old "HTC paid AC again" comments, but this is the 4th flagship in a row that has gotten probably double the publicity of any other flagship, and this is exactly why people say this.

So....who is the big HTC fanboy pulling the strings behind the scenes? Is it Phil? I know his knees buckle every time he gets a new HTC in his hands.

Also, in case anyone was wondering....THIS is why Android Police has so many more faithful users and gets much more publicity. They aren't biased towards the one OEM that has caused more issues and added more bloatware and contributed more to delayed updates than any other, historically.

Now please find another device to talk about, already!! This was already reported to death before the announcement, and now it's just a reiteration of all the same stuff we already knew and didn't care about.
It's one of the biggest Android phones of the year, which makes the launch (and simultaneous retail availability) a big deal. We'll cover the crap out of the GS5 when it's available too.

What's better? HTC M8 or Samsung GS5. I've got an upgrade in October and I need to know. The GS3 I have is the longest phone I've ever kept on a 2yr contract. Any other flagships on the way between now and then?
We won't be answering this question until we've spend some quality time with the GS5.

I've read the whole thread to make sure this hasn't been asked yet. Does it support USB OTG? I use this feature daily and any phone that does not support this is a deal breaker for me. Thanks.
Yup.

Do you predict the M8 selling more than the M7?
Good question. Probably, given way the launch was handled, and the fact that more carriers are onboard from the get-go. (To say nothing of the fact that it's just a better product.) A lot depends on marketing, though.

Hey, can someone who has one in hand finally fill out the rest of the notification LED info? All we know is that it has red and green and they may not be very visible. Is it RG, RGB, or RGBW, do we get combined colors, are they visible from different angles and from a distance? Thanks.
After some quick testing it looks like it's green/orange only.

I assume there's no purple tint in low light when using the camera as in some models on the original One (M7). I had two HTC Ones with this camera issue and finally today I sent it directly to HTC for repair. Waiting crossing my fingers it will be fixed. I'm thinking of upgrading. I love my HTC One.

Probably too soon to tell. Hopefully it's resolved since they are using new camera modules correct?
Haven't noticed any purple tint. Here's a shot taken in night mode in very low light last night:

m8-noght.jpg

Phil,

How do you access lockscreen Widgets?

You need to enable them under Settings > Security, like in stock KitKat.

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I have a question, i had the previous HTC m7 and he rotary vibrator when insilence mode was too strong, as i would produce more noise than the ring itself (ok I exaggerate a bit). Can anyone tell me abou the M8 ? Is it subtle like hte Iphone 5S /LG G2 or does it make a lot of sound ?

It depends what kind of surface it's on, but yeah, it's still fairly loud. OTOH haptic feedback from button presses, etc. is softer (or maybe just less rattly) than the M7.

ramordep

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
just watched AC video review and cant help but noticed the purple-ish sky. also it seems like the front cam is better than the rear

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

Why is it whenever an HTC flagship launches AC posts several pages of reviews, news, and other BS nobody but HTC fanboys care about? We didn't even see this sort of fanfare for the S5, as usual. Honestly, I know Phil hates getting the old "HTC paid AC again" comments, but this is the 4th flagship in a row that has gotten probably double the publicity of any other flagship, and this is exactly why people say this.

So....who is the big HTC fanboy pulling the strings behind the scenes? Is it Phil? I know his knees buckle every time he gets a new HTC in his hands.

Also, in case anyone was wondering....THIS is why Android Police has so many more faithful users and gets much more publicity. They aren't biased towards the one OEM that has caused more issues and added more bloatware and contributed more to delayed updates than any other, historically.

Now please find another device to talk about, already!! This was already reported to death before the announcement, and now it's just a reiteration of all the same stuff we already knew and didn't care about.

This is worth addressing, imho, because it's completely wrong. And it happens Every. Single. Time. Nexus. Samsung. HTC. Sometimes even LG.

Please. You know who really drives our decisions to do things? It's you folks. The blog readers. The forum posters. The people who buy the phone and need help and information after the fact. And the fact that a flagship phone is a flagship phone.

I'm sorry, did you have numbers to back that up? Otherwise it's just lips flapping. And looking at the number of stories we posted on M7 versus GS4, for example, there's not nearly as much disparity as you imply. (And hang on ? I do believe HTC got KitKat out faster than *any* other OEM. Don't live in the past. Show me something new, tomorrow.)

But beyond that, I'm not sure how you think flying to Spain ? those MWC trips aren't cheap, BTW, and we're fortunate that we don't have to accept specious sponsorship ? to cover the Galaxy S5 constitutes being biased toward another manufacturer. (FWIW, we also covered Sony, LG, HTC, Huawei, Nokia and Lenovo ? among others ? at MWC.) Spare me that fallacy.

Not my fault. I can't control leaks. But even then we don't report every damn rumor that has the word "Android" in it. (Verizon "exclusive," anyone?) Our coverage isn't a regurgitation. We're not reblogging someone else's stuff if we can at all help it. On launch day we were fortunate enough to have had a week with the M8 already and worked our collective butts off to provide the most informed coverage we possible could. If that's not the sort of thing you want, I suggest you find a new online home that's not nearly as comprehensive. Those kinds of sites are pretty easy to find.

We're going to continue doing what it is we do ? cover the entire Android community as best we can. Are we perfect? Nope. But we sure as hell try to be.

Enjoy all the M8 coverage, folks. GS5 will be here before we know it.

lightyear420

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure how you think flying to Spain — those MWC trips aren't cheap, BTW, and we're fortunate that we don't have to accept specious sponsorship — to cover the Galaxy S5 constitutes being biased toward another manufacturer. (FWIW, we also covered Sony, LG, HTC, Huawei, Nokia and Lenovo — among others — at MWC.) Spare me that fallacy.

Are you really sure you covered them all equally, or did you and your team write nearly double the posts for HTC and Samsung as you did for Nexus, LG and Sony? Honestly, the only person I see talking about Nexii almost every time a new one comes out is Jerry. Yes, I know you write posts for them as well. It's blatantly obvious you write more posts than any of the other editors and writers here. I obviously haven't counted, and you obviously knew I hadn't and banked on that fact. You didn't count either, and I can say that with confidence just as well as you can without knowing for a fact. But you can't deny that Samsung and HTC see WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY more coverage than any other manufacturer. And yes, It is a fact, and I don't have to count to know that. I'm obviously not the only one who sees that. You said yourself it's an issue every year at this time when HTC and Samsung release their flagships. So you've identified that it's an issue and a thorn in some readers' side, but you have yet to address the issue. You just chug along and keep feeding the sheeple.

Not my fault. I can't control leaks. But even then we don't report every damn rumor that has the word "Android" in it. (Verizon "exclusive," anyone?) Our coverage isn't a regurgitation. We're not reblogging someone else's stuff if we can at all help it. On launch day we were fortunate enough to have had a week with the M8 already and worked our collective butts off to provide the most informed coverage we possible could. If that's not the sort of thing you want, I suggest you find a new online home that's not nearly as comprehensive. Those kinds of sites are pretty easy to find.

I didn't say you should control leaks...I think you know just how sarcastic that statement was. It's pretty clear even for written text that this is meant to be sarcastic. But it's true that most of the stuff reported after the fact WAS just a regurgitation of rumors that were posted as potentially true, and those posted as factual as a rumor can be. THis morning I see a post about Qualcomm's app working on the M8. I'll bet light flow works on the M8 too. Wanna write a post about that? How about tapatalk? We could sure use a blog post about how the facebook app works on the device, as well. Is an app being compatible really news? No. And this is the point I'm making. The staff here are so desperate to have everything under the sun about the M8 posted here that some things that aren't anywhere near being news are being accepted as such just to make sure an M8 story is on the front page.

I'm going to make a prediction: in a few weeks/months when HTC announces a new color option there will be several news posts about it. One for the announcement, one for preorder, and one for the actual release. If it happens for the GPE you can double those posts. Is a new color option news? No. It's a hunk of plastic/metal molded to fit the phone, and they just decided to buy more colors to use for manufacturing. But it'll sure be treated as news by the staff here!!!

My suggestion is this: don't post a million stories about the same phone 20 times a day. Maybe hold off for the rest of the day and post them all collectively (HTC M8 updates for March 27th) Or make a blog post titled all the **** you want to know about this device, then just keep updating it 18 billion times to suit the needs of all the news flooding in. THere's plenty of better ways to handle all the news coming in than making post after post after post so that anyone who doesn't care about the device has to sift through the first 8 pages of news posts just to find one not related to the one device they couldn't care less about.

We're going to continue doing what it is we do — cover the entire Android community as best we can. Are we perfect? Nope. But we sure as hell try to be.

Enjoy all the M8 coverage, folks. GS5 will be here before we know it.

....and the news posts will take up 95% of the first 15 pages when it comes. Good luck finding any news about anything else for two weeks unless you don't mind spending 3 hours digging through S5 news updates to get to the rest.

nate85

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Settings>Security>Enable lock screen widgets.

View attachment 109650

My question is related to this, I have lockscreen widgets enabled but can't for the life of me add a new widget. When locked I can only pick up the widget that is already in place and drag it to edit. If I swipe down on the widget it expands something that I can't see but doesn't let me add anything. When trying to swipe to different pages... It Unlocks the device. Also do you know of a flashlight app that works? Dash light doesn't seem to add of yet. I'm on a Verizon device if that matters.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non