HTC One (M8): This is just a simple thread about the camera!

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
IMAG0139.jpgIMAG0143.jpgIMAG0143.jpgI've read numerous reviews and comments about the M8 camera, and after owning the phone... I said OWNING THE PHONE... I am an old school photographer. The HTC takes great pics whether macro or landscape! If I knew how to attach pics, I'd love to post. There are two things you need to remember... The most important is to make sure your lenses are smudge free, in fact you should keep a microfiber cloth in your pocket at all times. If you have an m8 please test this for yourself. Even a one time pass over your lense with your finger will obscure your cameras ability to take great shots. The second most important thing is when in difficult lighting situations, don't allow your camera to meter the scene without your help. Make sure to tap your finger on a moderately exposed area of the frame*and watch your pic come to life! Two simple tricks for getting great pics every time! And, I'm willing to bet that the negative reviews did not shoot with a smudge free lense because it's very easy to impair the camera lenses on this phone! The cleanliness of the lense matters because of the large F stop and the minute size of the lens! There you go... Just keeping it very simple!

OK, i think i was able to post some pics. On the first pic, I let the camera meter the pic and it did not come out bad. The sky was not blue in the pic. It was hazy just as the pic shows, but had i metered the bridge on the horizon, you would see more detail in the sky as in the 2nd and 3rd pics, which are the same...OOPS!

To give some info, As you can see the pic does have high contrast and great detail, despite what reviewers are saying. I did not make any special adjustments; however, i did meter the third building on the right which is sort of the light grey bldg. I just tapped my finger on that bldg, but i did not hold my finger to lock in exp and focus...Feel free to blow it up and give opinions please. This camera is getting an awful rap!!!

Last edited:

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: This is just a simple thread about the camera!

Good tips! Thank you!

Posted via Android Central App

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

I was playing around with the camera last night and was impressed. There is a dense, soulful quality to the photos that I personally like. Trust me, the M7 camera was a deal breaker for me (I went with the Note 2), but that is not the case this time. It's a good camera with some awesome features. For those on the fence, don't let the camera be the reason!

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

I was playing around with the camera last night and was impressed. There is a dense, soulful quality to the photos that I personally like. Trust me, the M7 camera was a deal breaker for me (I went with the Note 2), but that is not the case this time. It's a good camera with some awesome features. For those on the fence, don't let the camera be the reason!

One of the CNET editors wrote a post about the M8 camera that really slammed it, and I'm willing to bet that she had a smudged lense, especially in her shots where she had flair! The lens will not flair if it's clean and I've tested it numerous times! I just really dislike when people respond to these threads without actually owning the phone for themselves! When they have no true investment in the phone, then they're not willing to explore for themselves, they're only looking to reinforce what some reviewer has written about. My father used to say "son, believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see!"

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

Agreed. And as most people know, you can't play with a camera (any camera) for a few minutes and write it off. It takes days to learn it's quirks and find the best conditions for it to perform it's best.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Here are 2 more photos for the sake of comparison, one is shot with the M8 and one is shot with the Famous Iphone 5S and i've attached both in full frame. I'm not gonna say which is which, because I'm sure most of you will know...You be the judge!! And, then ask yourself...Is the camera really so bad that it's worthy of sacrificing all of that class and styling for any other Android phone....?? Just Saying?? IMAG0138.jpgphoto-3.jpg BTW! The 5S pic is the one on the bottom! And, both pics were point and shoot. And, both were tapped on the subject's face for exposure!

Last edited:

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Good thread...thanks for posting the pics. I agree with the previous poster in that I would've guessed the 5S was the top pic and the M8 was the bottom.

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

I get complimented all the time on my m7 pictures! I think some of the reviewers have an agenda! And I KNOW their are paid by Samsung people on this forum!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

rahxephon

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site

I think people are just quick to come to conclusions. This thread is a reminder that there is NO easy button. I'm glad to have been patient with my upgrade. But it's probably gonna get harder with more flagships on the way.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Good thread...thanks for posting the pics. I agree with the previous poster in that I would've guessed the 5S was the top pic and the M8 was the bottom.

If you want to verify, then just look at the details of the pics. The iPhone is slightly bigger based on the fact that it has more mega pixels... But, as you can see, the iPhone totally softened the pic and in effect, it doesn't pop like the M8! This camera mega pixel thing is a big fluke and though it's only one comparison, the M8 is tough to beat! I'm just loving this phone, it's nothing short of amazing!

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I am increasingly convinced the only problem with the HTC One M8 camera is it is overly dependent on spot metering. As the OP said, if you manually focus on a spot that is more reflective of a middle exposure, the picture generally looks fantastic. But let the phone do it on its own and you may be dissatisfied, especially in high contrast shots.

rahxephon

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I am increasingly convinced the only problem with the HTC One M8 camera is it is overly dependent on spot metering. As the OP said, if you manually focus on a spot that is more reflective of a middle exposure, the picture generally looks fantastic. But let the phone do it on its own and you may be dissatisfied, especially in high contrast shots.

It gives hope that a good 3rd party camera app with different metering setting(s) will be able to take the role as the "auto mode" snapper.

jev425

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Figuratively speaking if htc notices a "problem" with how the m8 meters high contrast pictures could they effectively put an update out for the camera?

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Figuratively speaking if htc notices a "problem" with how the m8 meters high contrast pictures could they effectively put an update out for the camera?

I think not, as there are way too many scenarios for them to consider. It's not much different than trying to take the perfect pictures with a quality camera. The M8 has excellent camera control if you want to take great pics. However, if you want great pics, stay out of high contrast lighting.. Diffuse is much better! Google Ansel Adams and find out how painstaking it was for him to get a perfect shot! Also, try black and white!

Reminder, many of you thought that the iPhone pic was the one on top, however, even it's software did not meter the scene correctly! You're not going to get fabulous results from ANY phone camera without a little tweaking, and we're not talking major tweaking. It's as simple as a finger tap which tends to be really effective in high contrast scenes that aren't even considered optimal for professional photographers with mighty cameras that can cost 4 or 5 times the cost of your htc m8!
I just think sometimes people want to run with the herd, then become hypocritical when the herd goes a different way! Think Apple! If you're an android fan, then you've already denounced the herd mentality, yet if you don't have 16 mega pixels on your camera then you're feeling inferior. Take a step back, and every time someone wants to dog your M8 camera, pull it out and show them how wrong they are by really using the tools htc has given you!

I did just that when I took those shots of my very close friend and relative who happens to be an iPhone fanatic as well as an accomplished photographer! He has always felt that htc was going in the right direction with the Ultrapixels. And, his response to the comparison.... He hopes people keep on dogging htc and the camera because it will ultimately mean less competition for his beloved Apple iPhone! Lol!
BTW, he admitted that the HTC took a way better pic than his 5S!

Last edited:

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Does the stock HTC camera app have tap for focus and a secondary tap for light balance?

The initial tap is for exposure and if you hold it, then you lock in exposure and focus. Typically with most camera phones, everything is in focus as long as you're steady. These cameras are looking through a pinhole as opposed to an actual reflex lense. So, typically all subject matter will be in focus, except when you're doing a macro shot. And, even when you're doing macro photography, you can adjust your exposure and focus by tapping different areas on the macro subject.

Last edited:

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
The initial tap is for exposure and if you hold it, then you lock in exposure and focus. Typically with most camera phones, everything is in focus as long as you're steady. These cameras are looking through a pinhole as opposed to an actual reflex lense. So, typically all subject matter will be in focus, except when you're doing a macro shot. And, even when you're doing macro photography, you can adjust your exposure by tapping different areas on macro subject.

I'm pretty sure that tap will also change focus not just exposure.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non