HTC tells you why its better than SGS3

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm shooting off the top of my head, so if any of this is inaccurate then I stand corrected. This is what I know that my stock EVO 4GLTE does so I'm assuming the HOX does the same:

1. Gesture based conference call/speaker phone mode - While in call, placing the phone down automatically switches to speaker phone. Picking the phone up switches back to normal voice calling.

2. Slow motion video capture - Self explanatory and the capture quality is pretty good.

3. Folder Creation - Without running any custom launcher, this procedure conforms to stock ISC behavior, with the addition of adding apps while the folder is still open. Using this process up to 14 additional apps can be added at one time, instead of one by one.

4. Photo capture during video play back - During live video recording, pictures can be taken at the same time. However, when playing back the video, you are still able to perform the same process (in case you missed an opportunity to make stills previously).

5. App open without unlocking the phone - When playing music from the stock music player, it becomes a widget while the phone is locked. Dragging the widget to the unlock icon, opens the music player in normal display mode, allowing the same interaction features (sans opening 3rd party apps such as Soundhound etc).

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
HTC > Samsung.
I hate Samsung phones.
AMOLED makes colors too saturated/neon-like & I just can't stand that!
Not to mention every Samsung phone I've had (original Epic & a brief stunt with the GS2) all has radio issues. Always say I'm roaming, but never once did it say I was roaming on any of my HTC's.

Idk maybe I'm just weird lol but I just can't stand Samsung phones.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I can't blame you... I've always hated Samsung phones.. This GS3 is the first Samsung android phone I've owned... It's has won me over..prior to that I've had mostly HTC...

Sent from my GS3....

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm shooting off the top of my head, so if any of this is inaccurate then I stand corrected. This is what I know that my stock EVO 4GLTE does so I'm assuming the HOX does the same:

1. Gesture based conference call/speaker phone mode - While in call, placing the phone down automatically switches to speaker phone. Picking the phone up switches back to normal voice calling.

2. Slow motion video capture - Self explanatory and the capture quality is pretty good.

3. Folder Creation - Without running any custom launcher, this procedure conforms to stock ISC behavior, with the addition of adding apps while the folder is still open. Using this process up to 14 additional apps can be added at one time, instead of one by one.

4. Photo capture during video play back - During live video recording, pictures can be taken at the same time. However, when playing back the video, you are still able to perform the same process (in case you missed an opportunity to make stills previously).

5. App open without unlocking the phone - When playing music from the stock music player, it becomes a widget while the phone is locked. Dragging the widget to the unlock icon, opens the music player in normal display mode, allowing the same interaction features (sans opening 3rd party apps such as Soundhound etc).

1. Is an old school HTC feature I love... But it's nothing new.. Fine GS3 doesn't have that exact feature but many others close to it... I'm looking for something new from HTC is my personal point here. That's about 5yrs old now

2. + 1 for HTC..
3, 4, 5. That's a simple ICS feature.. Nothing from HTC

Again its a great phone with a new wonderful screen running ics... Nothing game changing..

This is what the HOX can't do

Sent from my GS3....

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Now there is another list of sharing features through sbeam that could be added..

If HTC wants to compete with iphone and Samsung they have to offer something new to stand on.. Other than a new screen and a new processor... All of these phones have that

Sent from my GS3....

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
1. Is an old school HTC feature I love... But it's nothing new.. Fine GS3 doesn't have that exact feature but many others close to it... I'm looking for something new from HTC is my personal point here. That's about 5yrs old now

2. + 1 for HTC..
3, 4, 5. That's a simple ICS feature.. Nothing from HTC

Again its a great phone with a new wonderful screen running ics... Nothing game changing..

This is what the HOX can't do

Sent from my GS3....

Also number 3 isn't an ICS feature. With ICS you can't add apps while the folder is open let alone using multi-select.

If 3, 4, and 5 are simple ICS features and the S3 (which runs ICS 4.04) doesn't do them, should the question be "What does ICS do that the S3 can't do"?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Last edited:
Reactions: adamtalife

AZSALUKI

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
There are external batteries smaller than the S3's battery, so it's not like you're carrying extra bulk. Most people don't run out of battery anyway. And you make it sound like carrying a flashdrive for when you are out of network range is so terribly inconvenient. My bic takes up more space in my pocket for goodness sake. You people ragging on the HOX are biased hypocrites. You guys go on about the SD and battery, but if somebody brings up the subpar screen on the S3 you all go into denial mode. The whole "needing to convince yourself and everybody else that you have the best phone" rants are kind of old. I have both phones and they are both awesome. One is not better than the other, it's not clear cut.

Biased hypocrite? Did you miss the part where I noted I have neither phones and typically prefer HTC over Samsung? Or where I put opinion in all caps? I'm simply pointing out that its more practical to travel with. I don't care how small the external storage device is, you still have to carry it and plug it in. I could care less. If the screen is the most important feature to someone then sure, the HOX is better for them. If a spare battery that you can actually put into the phone, or more storage that you can actually put into the phone is more important, then there's no argument.

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
And yet we still haven't heard anything the HOX does better than the S3. If all else fails, pound the screen issue until they get tired and give up. Nobody is attacking anyone personally, they're just voicing opinions about a couple of phones. Its okay that maybe this time, HTC might have come up short.

You already did. It produces images more accurately. If all else fails? Come on, really? The S3 has more RAM, a removable battery and expandable storage. Those first 2 things only effect like 0.1 percent of customers. The extra ram is pointless. I run Jellybean on my One X and have between 500-600 megs free when doing intense multitasking. As I said I have both phones. What it's really come down to is which is more important, the SD slot or the far better screen. The better screen has won me over.

Oh yeah, I can actually like skip/play music without unlocking the phone every time. That drives me NUTS on my S3.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Also number 3 isn't an ICS feature. With ICS you can't add apps while the folder is open let alone using multi-select.

If 3, 4, and 5 are simple ICS features and the S3 (which runs ICS 4.04) doesn't do them, should the question be "What does ICS do that the S3 can't do"?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Ok its a folder... Really? It's nothing new... All android phones have the function of making folders.. I could care less how each rom/skin does it.. It's there.. Until there is a real feature made aware that HOX has that none other has... And I mean a real feature not how it manages folders...this is all just silly...

I'm asking what has HTC put in the HOX that's new.. a game changer.. Not just redoing what ics has made available native.. That's not innovation that's tweaking...

All of this titt for tat instead of just saying nothing... So for me when I read about the HOX being better than the Gs3 I scratch my head and say how.... It's no chump but it's not better at all.. U get more from the GS3 period.. Now if you prefer the HOX hey... That's coo... I respect that... But it ain't better I know it you know it and so does HTC.. I rep HTC all day they are great but the truth is the truth... I hated Samsung until this phone..But they separated themselves from the pack its not just another android it offers far more..

Sent from my GS3....

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Now there is another list of sharing features through sbeam that could be added..

If HTC wants to compete with iphone and Samsung they have to offer something new to stand on.. Other than a new screen and a new processor... All of these phones have that

Sent from my GS3....

No they don't. There is no Android phone with a better screen. Certainly.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, I can only tell you the opinions of people I associate with and have come into contact with at work. Some have smartphones and some don't. No one disputes the brilliance of the the HOX screen, but they just prefer to look at the prettier colours of the GS3. That just how it is.

That's interesting. I just asked my 4 buddies here which looked better, my S3 or my One X. They all picked the One X almost immediately and they have no skin in the game, 2 of them have I phones.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Biased hypocrite? Did you miss the part where I noted I have neither phones and typically prefer HTC over Samsung? Or where I put opinion in all caps? I'm simply pointing out that its more practical to travel with. I don't care how small the external storage device is, you still have to carry it and plug it in. I could care less. If the screen is the most important feature to someone then sure, the HOX is better for them. If a spare battery that you can actually put into the phone, or more storage that you can actually put into the phone is more important, then there's no argument.

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

I read HTC's pamphlet and was bout to reply with something similar. You can't argue hardware specs. If a phone has more processing cores (regardless of its effectiveness) that is an attribute that cannot magically appear so that spec can be matched or bested. More RAM, larger batter, longer battery life, higher MP count, larger Aperture, default clock speed, display size, weight, all cannot be objectively countered.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok its a folder... Really? It's nothing new... All android phones have the function of making folders.. I could care less how each rom/skin does it.. It's there.. Until there is a real feature made aware that HOX has that none other has... And I mean a real feature not how it manages folders...this is all just silly...

I'm asking what has HTC put in the HOX that's new.. a game changer.. Not just redoing what ics has made available native.. That's not innovation that's tweaking...

All of this titt for tat instead of just saying nothing... So for me when I read about the HOX being better than the Gs3 I scratch my head and say how.... It's no chump but it's not better at all.. U get more from the GS3 period.. Now if you prefer the HOX hey... That's coo... I respect that... But it ain't better I know it you know it and so does HTC.. I rep HTC all day they are great but the truth is the truth... I hated Samsung until this phone..But they separated themselves from the pack its not just another android it offers far more..

Sent from my GS3....

Ugh. I'm sorry but just because you love your S3 doesn't make it a better phone. Not now, not ever. If it were so much better mine wouldn't be collecting dust.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my GS3....

Huh? OK let's make this one quick:

Objective Hardware Specs:

1. The S3 has more RAM
2. The S3 has a removable Battery
3. The S3 has a larger screen

Objective Software Specs:

1. The S3 has innovative gesture controls/actions
2. The S3 has S-Voice
3. The S3 has floating video player/thumbnail (live) video preview
4. The S3 has voice-activated phone unlock capability.

My subjective opinion is that I personally feel that the S3 is a beautiful device to the point that I would not want to put a case on it. I personally feel that the Samsung has taken more effort to place as many features (hardware/software) as possible into the S3. I personally feel that the S3 is more future proof (in theory) due to the extra 1GB of RAM. I think Samsung was innovative with the fact that they were able to keep the the removable battery aspect AND maintain a slim and attractive profile.

But as you can see, having a comparison of hardware/software features of a device using a simple Yes or No answer without going beyond the scope of the discussion is rare. For HTC a simple listing of features in table format and a check to indicate if their device does or does not have it, would have been good enough.

But I'm a liar on my way to a burning hell since according to you I prefer the HOX and I know deep down inside just like HTC that the S3 is the better device.

Last edited:

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Tell me something the HOX does that the GS3 doesn't please..

I gave an objective list where it could be easily stated what a device does/does not have. You gave me your granular analysis on what I listed. However, I misunderstood your question because what you meant was:

I'm asking what has HTC put in the HOX that's new.. a game changer.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I gave an objective list where it could be easily stated what a device does/does not have. You gave me your granular analysis on what I listed. However, I misunderstood your question because what you meant was:

An objective benefit of the One X is a better display. A display with higher PPI, more accurate color reproduction and less spacing between subpixels is clearly better from a technical standpoint. There are also numerous mentions in this thread of software features on the One X that are not available on the S3.

While subjective, I also take some issue with the value of an extra gigabyte of ram when it has no effect on performance. It's similar to the difference of buying a computer with 16GB or one with 24GB.

antheauxny

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't blame you... I've always hated Samsung phones.. This GS3 is the first Samsung android phone I've owned... It's has won me over..prior to that I've had mostly HTC...

Sent from my GS3....

I can honestly say the only Samsung phone I've liked is the Galaxy Nexus LTE with Sprint. I've never Owned it but I've played with a friends and it's nice.
Still don't like the screen, but the phone overall is nice.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

cbatiste1993

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Lets be real here, S-voice is crap compared to Siri and Google Now. The average user doesn't use many of the new "innovations" after about a month. If a feature is cool enough on one phone I'm sure a dev will make a way for anyone to get it via rom or an app.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Lets be real here, S-voice is crap compared to Siri and Google Now. The average user doesn't use many of the new "innovations" after about a month. If a feature is cool enough on one phone I'm sure a dev will make a way for anyone to get it via rom or an app.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Samsung pretty much throws whatever they can against a wall and hope something sticks.

Reactions: cbatiste1993

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
No they don't. There is no Android phone with a better screen. Certainly.

Well if the screen being the best in the industry is what you base you purchase on then... More power to you... I'll take a my features on the GS3 and somehow manage with this "subpar"Screen.... Lol.. Smh...

Sent from my GS3....with a Subpar screen.. Lmao