Let's be honest here , who's trading in their X for s3?

abhijit1289

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Seriously! You guys with your "who's switching to the gs3' and 'gs3 beats the one x make those owners of the one x who love it have second thoughts as well. If you want help deciding, you won't find that much help here. Every one has a different opinion and half will recommend the opposite of the other half. There's a reason that sites like AC and en gadget compare the phones. As for my answer to your question............. Anyone who knows squat about technology knows that phones are released so often they're getting hard to count! By the time you're settled with your gs3 ther'll be a new phone that will also have ads and disads and I can see you guys having the exact same conversation again, so just be happy with the amazing phone you have and get of this cycle of buyers doubt.

Thank me if I helped.... You know I'll do it again :) Oh, and by the way, Sent from my HTC One X

Nit3m4re

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely not, yes the SIII is a brilliant phone, anyone with a One X that thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. But to go ahead with the switch in my opinion is crazy.
The One X's screen is by far superior and is something I still after over a month of having the phone can't help myself looking at just to see how good it is again. It really is that good.
Battery life for me like someone suggested earlier is perfectly okay, I get 10 hours on screen time and sometimes more out of a day, my trick is to not use data unless I need to use it, otherwise its off and WiFi is always on instead. Works a charm.
Lastly looks, which is completely down to personal taste, and for me its the One X, it feels solid in your hand, the build quality is spot on and it looks great, the S3 IMO is a step in the wrong direction. However, like I said, its individual preferences.
The other comparisons don't really bother me, I have no issue with not having a micro sd slot and multitasking is fine.
This phone as long as I don't loose it will probably be the first phone I will plan to keep for 2 years even though I've only got it on a 12 month contract, though I would like to see what they both do next for sure.

shadowhawk2020

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Also don't forget the reason behind shipping the S4 version of the GS3 with 2GB of RAM is because TouchWiz 5 uses a good majority of it compared to the international 1GB QuadCore versions. You won't notice any performance increase and really won't have any spare RAM waiting to be utilized because of this.

This info is absolute BS... It is something an HTC fanboy (which I was up until i bought the Evo 4G LTE) made up.

On the Evo 4G LTE (and probably the One X): Once Sense and ICS + normal background apps are loaded I have 150mb Ram left over AT MOST.

So on the Galaxy, even if 1GB is ALL Touchwiz and none of the ICS or normal background stuff you will have 1GB to run ICS, Background apps, and Apps. I am guessing you will have a minimum of 500Mb left over.

anon(4735768)

May 6, 2012
Visit site
This info is absolute BS... It is something an HTC fanboy (which I was up until i bought the Evo 4G LTE) made up.

On the Evo 4G LTE (and probably the One X): Once Sense and ICS + normal background apps are loaded I have 150mb Ram left over AT MOST.

So on the Galaxy, even if 1GB is ALL Touchwiz and none of the ICS or normal background stuff you will have 1GB to run ICS, Background apps, and Apps. I am guessing you will have a minimum of 500Mb left over.

Sorry you're wrong, learn how basic processing and memory allocation work with software. Also educate yourself on how ICS is designed to use memory.

When you're finished then take a trip down quad core and dual core lane and you'll understand why the dual core ships with 2gb and the quad core ships with 1gb for the same software configuration. Samsung didn't give dual core handset owners an extra gig because they wanted to be nice, it's because their dual core version of the S3 running TW requires the extra resources to operate as smoothly as the quad core 1GB model. These are really basic concepts.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

shadowhawk2020

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Sorry you're wrong, learn how basic processing and memory allocation work with software. Also educate yourself on how ICS is designed to use memory.

When you're finished then take a trip down quad core and dual core lane and you'll understand why the dual core ships with 2gb and the quad core ships with 1gb for the same software configuration. Samsung didn't give dual core handset owners an extra gig because they wanted to be nice, it's because their dual core version of the S3 running TW requires the extra resources to operate as smoothly as the quad core 1GB model. These are really basic concepts.

So if Sense+ICS+ background processes use up 850mb of 1GB useable memory you have 150mb memory to load apps, correct?

If Touchwiz +ICS + background processes use 1.5GB of 2GB you have 500mb memory to load additional apps correct?

We are talking about leftover memory after the system uses the required resources.

anon(4735768)

May 6, 2012
Visit site
So if Sense+ICS+ background processes use up 850mb of 1GB useable memory you have 150mb memory to load apps, correct?

If Touchwiz +ICS + background processes use 1.5GB of 2GB you have 500mb memory to load additional apps correct?

We are talking about leftover memory after the system uses the required resources.

Except that you're just making up numbers to give you a magical 500Mb of left over memory. Same as your memory leftover on the HOX. The memory allocation of TW on the S4 is going to far exceed what you're expecting to keep it performing on par with the quad core version.

The net result is the same performance with 200-300mb leftover, similar to what is leftover on the quad core version. In 8 days go pickup an AT&T version of the GS3 and check for yourself. The extra Ram will not have any noticeable affect on the phone, this isn't news.

mgfjd12

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, consider yourself lucky if you have never experienced it.
Try this:
1. Launch the stock notes app, compose a random note.
2. Tap the home button (or recent apps button), launch the camera app, take a few pictures.
3. Launch the email app, view an email.
(Optional: also go view a webpage in the browser app)
4. Switch back to the notes app.
What happens? Is it where you left off?

Developer of Dock for Android/iOS/webOS, Panes for iPad, Glimpse for TouchPad

Yes, it was.. Learn how to use the phone before posting

anon(4735768)

May 6, 2012
Visit site

So it took all of 2 minutes to find why they're shipping the dual core with 2GB of RAM and it relates to TouchWiz. To make TouchWiz run as fluidly on the dual core as it does on the quad core they're dedicating 1GB to the GPU thus leaving nothing extra left over. Listen to the latest Android Central pidcast, they detail it.

Reactions: unopepito06

shadowhawk2020

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Except that you're just making up numbers to give you a magical 500Mb of left over memory. Same as your memory leftover on the HOX. The memory allocation of TW on the S4 is going to far exceed what you're expecting to keep it performing on par with the quad core version.

The net result is the same performance with 200-300mb leftover, similar to what is leftover on the quad core version. In 8 days go pickup an AT&T version of the GS3 and check for yourself. The extra Ram will not have any noticeable affect on the phone, this isn't news.

I am using actual numbers from from my Evo 4G LTE. While running Sense I have between 125-150Mb left over at bootup.

You are right I am guessing about the galaxy, BUT even if the GSIII uses a full GB (the total amount of the EVO, One X) it still has 1GB to run everything the One X runs minus having to run Sense.

I guess we will see in a few days how much ram Touchwiz requires, but the reports I had read is that it uses 1 of the 2 GB installed in the GSIII.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
People really are taking this a little personally.

I'm not trading my One X in. I like it.

To set the story straight on camera....the One X has superior hardware, and better low light performance, but suffers from greater compression, which means that when you crop the images the S3 is superior. Color and saturation are better on the One X, though, so it's a trade off. The S3 has better video capture, this is pretty much undisputed by anyone.

Battery life should be really great. Larger battery plus a really efficient chip. Look at the difference between the International One X and the AT&T version. Think about that.

anon(4735768)

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Biggest issue with photo quality on the HOX is changing the default camera settings from Widescreen 16:9 to normal 4:3 which takes it from 6mp images to 8mp images.

snoopgoat

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it was.. Learn how to use the phone before posting

Dude. There's no need to talk down on people. I'm pointing out an actual valid issue. I'm a developer (and observant user), so I actually "know" how to use a phone. The multitasking is broken, as many people have echoed. This is a fact. We are not all stupid. We are not using the phone "the wrong way". If you haven't noticed it, that's fine. You don't have to insult people that have noticed it...

impulse101

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I am, The One X is such a huge disappointment. I can't multi-task. Sense 4.0 is a bloated ugly disgusting pig. I can't remove my tiny battery that only lasts 12 hours. No SD card. Half the RAM. Christ I can go on and on. The One X was almost as disappointing as IO6 was to sheep.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
No, he is not. I did the same thing and I was where I left it of. I even tried it with a text message and the same thing happened.

The multitasking isn't broken. It's designed to be more aggressive in order to preserve battery life. Some developers haven't written their apps to save their states properly though, and others are just used to that browser page still being there 12 hours later.

jharre08

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
So it took all of 2 minutes to find why they're shipping the dual core with 2GB of RAM and it relates to TouchWiz. To make TouchWiz run as fluidly on the dual core as it does on the quad core they're dedicating 1GB to the GPU thus leaving nothing extra left over. Listen to the latest Android Central pidcast, they detail it.

In theory, would the GSIII then out perform the HOX if they were both running less demanding launchers such as Nova?

I ask because I currently have the HTC and I'm considering the switch. I typically use 3rd party launchers anyway.... Thanks :cool:

snoopgoat

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
No, he is not. I did the same thing and I was where I left it of. I even tried it with a text message and the same thing happened.

Screw it. I'm gonna make a short video showing this issue!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Having a good discussion is ok, but resorting to name calling and personal attacks is not. Stop with the personal attacks and name calling or infractions/temp vacations will be next.

Thanks.

Oh, the multi-tasking discussion has already taken place in other threads. HTC has said that they changed it to be more aggressive. It's working as they intended. Whether that causes an issue for YOU is all up to you. Just because it does for you doesn't mean it does for everyone else. I, for one, am fine with how it is. Now, if a ROM comes along that I like and changes it, that's fine too. By no means is it a deal breaker for ME, but for others it might be.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo