Let's be honest here , who's trading in their X for s3?

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Registered just because of this thread :cool: (and because I was sick of not being able to click links/pics)

I'm THINKING of sending my X back and then getting the S3 because that phone looks sooo fluid and slick on all the videos I see. BUT the UI... nothing is consistent. It's like TouchWiz/ICS are battling in every menu and screen there is and I don't like that. I don't do that rooting business so however the phone looks out the box is how it's staying. Some people could call it shallow but I'm not a hardcore phone user, I just text/email/camera/browse/few apps. HOX could be a little smoother but I like consistency y'know?

Samsung made a conscious design decision to keep UI changes somewhat minimal. They didn't want to fool with the Galaxy S formula that got them this far. Hence, Gingerbread-era buttons on an ICS device (including a deprecated Menu button), and a few other hints of Gingerbread scattered around. For the market they're focusing on it might make sense: they go for the less technical user who might otherwise buy Apple. But that might not sit well with people looking for an actual ICS device. Then again, Samsung has the Galaxy Nexus for that market, so from their perspective it makes some sense.

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
The biggest feature on any Large touchscreen phone is the screen,

Put both phones together, the choice is very clear.

This simple fact can not be argued at all.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It is pretty funny that this post has generated the replies it has. The question was who is returning their HOX for an S III. Mostly, it has become attacks on those who say they are returning their phones. It seems some the HOX owners are overly sensitive about the phones they bought. No one likes to be an early adopter of the wrong phone. I guess that would make anyone in that situation overly defensive.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Its really kinda simple to know if multi tasking has issues. Just try it on your previous Android phone. Then do process of elimination. I think most ppl say its related to Sense 4.0 or the way HTC did multi tasking for the One X. Sometimes....at the end of the day....it is what it is.

The multitasking isn't broken. It's designed to be more aggressive in order to preserve battery life.

And I have to agree with this too. Is it the way some of us like? No. But if HTC designed it this way....they probably dont consider it broken. And...it is what it is.

The quad core version of the S3 IS way faster than the quad core version of the HOX.

And same goes for battery life.

And btw: the Camera of the HOX is a joke! Can't even record 30fps (varies between 19 and. 23fps).

That's why I get rid of my HOX after 2 month and go S3.

I was gonna say the same thing about battery life. GSM Arena did battery tests...and the quad core GS3 did better than the quad core One X. I await Anandtechs battery life results too. Theirs are usually spot on. I never really went to GSM Arena for info.

The biggest feature on any Large touchscreen phone is the screen,

Put both phones together, the choice is very clear.

This simple fact can not be argued at all.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Somebody did in a review...and it still wasnt very clear. The GS3 did better in some areas. And some might prefer the more saturated screen of the GS3. The screens...no matter what the specs say.....or reviewers.....that will always remain a matter of preference. Specs might cant be argued.....but preferences can. Preference and my eyes tell me the Rezound screen isnt that good overall...and I like my RAZR's screen more. Even tho my Rezound is sharper than my RAZR when held closer than normal, whiter and brighter, has more accurate colors...every where else the RAZR screen was either better or I preferred my RAZR screen.

snoopgoat

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't make it less true, though. Vote with your wallet, that's all for profit companies will really pay attention to.

Yep. HTC decided to shoot themselves in the foot by crippling this awesome device. There's definitively gonna be some financial repercussions (especially with the numerous device returns and the gs3 in the horizon). Where are the oneX sales figures by the way?

Developer of Dock for Android/iOS/webOS, Panes for iPad, Glimpse for TouchPad

MasterElwood

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
It's a PHONE FIRST people. Not a still camera, not a HD video camera. A phone. The camera is a feature of the phone. It's for convenience when you don't have a decent point-and-shoot or DSLR around you. I don't understand people sometimes. Returning the phone because of it's camera is dumb. You'll get the S3 and then when something with a better camera comes along you'll probably whine and complain as well and want to exchange.

I just don't get it. Because the camera on the HOX is not shoddy by any means. I've watched a lot of reviews, and seen plenty of comparisons between the two phones, and in some cases the camera is better on the S3, but in others it's better on the HOX. I'd honestly call it a draw between the two. I think it just really depends on the end user and what they plan on needing the camera for. I really don't appreciate people coming on forums and trashing a device for minor differences. Some of you Samsung fanboy's are sounding just as bad as Apple users. Honestly.

FYI, I don't own either device.

Pictures taken with the HOX are ok. It's the VIDEOS taken with the HOX that are really bad.
Stuttering because of the low fps, smearing in low light.

Videos taken with my 4S, my old iPhone 4, and the SGS2 are all way better then the HOX Videos.

I did a lot of testing - trust me.

Oh - and i am not returning it - I sell my 2 month old HOX and buy a new S3.

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
HOX or HOaX?

I gotta say. I got a "gut check" kinda feeling that purchasing the One X was a mistake.
I don't know if I would get the samsung or not. While I love their Google devices, I still have memories of Samsungs being some of the buggiest and most unreliable phones a few years ago.

As to the One X. The spec sheet makes you go wow.
The fact it's a new phone makes you go wow.
ICS makes you go wow.

But after the wow factor wears off there are a number of things about the One X that really are disappointing.

Coming from the HTC Inspire, the One X:
1. Has a plastic chassis not metal.
2. Plastic speaker foil
3. plastic volume rocker.
4. Shorter, thinner gauge USB charging cable.
5. No ability to alter power saver settings as was possible on Inspire.
6. Serious WiFi bugs in initial production run.
Add to that HTC's announcement to the world a few weeks ago that it expects this year to be a bad year for the company in terms of profits ....

...All adds up to the One X feeling like a cheaply made device that is long on new specifications and short on quality parts.

As for AT&T I am disliking them more by the day.
It seems unlike Verizon, AT&T and it's employees have no love for Google.
Yahoo for a search engine, store workers who tell you you should get an iPhone because Google tracks your every move, offers to have AT&T handle your contact syncing, etc.

Then look at how each AT&T phone keeps getting more uninstallable AT&T bloatware.
I don't want AT&T Ready2Go, AT&T Address book, myAT&T, AT&T Family Map, AT&T Live TV, AT&T Contact SyncML Provider, AT&T Navigator etc.

So...
Iif I could get a good deal I think I might get a Samsung, but not S3 - just give me pure Android on a Nexus and hope it's not too buggy.

Last edited:

aboxa

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Samsung made a conscious design decision to keep UI changes somewhat minimal. They didn't want to fool with the Galaxy S formula that got them this far. Hence, Gingerbread-era buttons on an ICS device (including a deprecated Menu button), and a few other hints of Gingerbread scattered around. For the market they're focusing on it might make sense: they go for the less technical user who might otherwise buy Apple. But that might not sit well with people looking for an actual ICS device. Then again, Samsung has the Galaxy Nexus for that market, so from their perspective it makes some sense.

http://pocketnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/svoice.jpg
http://pocketnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/cal.jpg
http://pocketnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/dialer.jpg

And that's just a LITTLE.

Based on the videos and stuff I've seen, TW is not consistent. How do they go from sharp and rectangular to curves? Why is the calender brown? I'm not saying it's ugly (I love the homescreen/app launcher) but there is no.. overall theme in TW. With Sense I know what they're trying to do, and even though it's a heavy UI, that doesn't detract from everything being in line with everything else. I don't have to be a bit peeved off from having my dialer look like it came from a completely different OS. I know it seems insignificant, I admit, but am I wrong for wanting the OS in my phone to not look like a conglomerate of a bunch of different software philosophies?

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Whoever made that stance about it "being a phone first", not in 2012. These super hardware upgrades that Android does alone makes that defense null and void. And even so, it doesn't negate someone's experience being better with other phones than the HOX

arizonamman

May 26, 2012
Visit site
HTC One X (AT&T) NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME
Hardware
Unlock/on/off button on top. Side would be quicker one-hand access.
Volume toggle button on side too easy to accidentally push.
Pick up phone from the top even with skinny, "no-flab" hands causes home screen to flip to Widget screen. The design is great but the glass right on the edge is too touchy regardless of settings.
Left "back" haptic button non-responsive every 2 out of 3 times. However, it does respond to the edge. These two issues make me think that the hardware design needs work.
Pulldown menu non-responsive almost every time unless there are notifications.
If you hold the phone in your hand so that your little finger is on the left-bottom side of the phone, it will cover the radio and you will lose both OTA and Wi-Fi signals.
Easy to scuff the back.
Notification light blinks and then stops without touching the phone.

Install "No Lock" immediately because the unlock ring is stupid as long as I have to also push the button on top. It is an unnatural movement for your hand to go from the top to the bottom and you only need a software lock when you already have a hardware lock if you are in an un-secure location.
Software, change to stock keyboard immediately but some native apps still will not provide landscape keyboard.
Notes App sux big time and is useless in every sense of the word.
Contacts app is pretty bad too.

Google Navigation GPS is outstanding and extremely accurate. Stay away from AT&T's as it is not even close.
Photos and videos are very good as are the panoramic and burst mode shooting, the later while capturing video. Outstanding!

I really liked the overall design and minimalist approach of this phone. The back made me feel, even though the phone is a bit larger than what I am use to, that I could easily hold on to it but the back is very easy to scuff and the scuff marks easily show on the dark grey back.The phone is very thin and light.

There is no HTC SYNC for MAC (regardless of what others would have you believe) and HTC SYNC MANAGER is "Available Soon" despite the fact the phone has been out for a few months. You can, however, just hook up the USB cable to copy all files and folders to your MAC or PC. The "Driver" accessory as well as the Media Link HD (supposedly in the International version box) are both out of stock.

Carrier
AT&T has very limited LTE and despite living in the Phoenix Metro, there is no LTE in the SE Valley. I was willing to download apps to make the keyboard, Notes, etc. work but without LTE I cannot use this for tethering to my MACBook Pro. The HSPDA+ signal is just too poor. I used AT&T's Mark the Spot to report it. I signed up for the 5GB data plan in hopes of finally dumping COX internet for which I pay $54. Not yet, I guess. BTW, I checked out the Downtown LTE and it is fast but I hardly used it and when I got home the battery was down another 30%.

They really should have given this more User Acceptance Testing and held on to it a few more months.

Was going to go with Verizon for the S3 but now, I just don't know. :(

xXBLACKBERRYXx5

May 18, 2012
Visit site
HOX or HOaX?

I gotta say. I got a "gut check" kinda feeling that purchasing the One X was a mistake.
I don't know if I would get the samsung or not. While I love their Google devices, I still have memories of Samsungs being some of the buggiest and most unreliable phones a few years ago.

As to the One X. The spec sheet makes you go wow.
The fact it's a new phone makes you go wow.
ICS makes you go wow.

But after the wow factor wears off there are a number of things about the One X that really are disappointing.

Coming from the HTC Inspire, the One X:
1. Has a plastic chassis not metal.
2. Plastic speaker foil
3. plastic volume rocker.
4. Shorter, thinner gauge USB charging cable.
5. No ability to alter power saver settings as was possible on Inspire.
6. Serious WiFi bugs in initial production run.
Add to that HTC's announcement to the world a few weeks ago that it expects this year to be a bad year for the company in terms of profits ....

...All adds up to the One X feeling like a cheaply made device that is long on new specifications and short on quality parts.

As for AT&T I am disliking them more by the day.
It seems unlike Verizon, AT&T and it's employees have no love for Google.
Yahoo for a search engine, store workers who tell you you should get an iPhone because Google tracks your every move, offers to have AT&T handle your contact syncing, etc.

Then look at how each AT&T phone keeps getting more uninstallable AT&T bloatware.
I don't want AT&T Ready2Go, AT&T Address book, myAT&T, AT&T Family Map, AT&T Live TV, AT&T Contact SyncML Provider, AT&T Navigator etc.

So...
Iif I could get a good deal I think I might get a Samsung, but not S3 - just give me pure Android on a Nexus and hope it's not too buggy.

Yes it has alott of plastic hardware but what big awesome phone doesn't these days. Plus it's polycarbonate plastic which is very durable .

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Definitely agree here and it's a factor for me taking back the EVO LTE. It's a monster phone. Too big, IMO (same with the S3), but at least with the S3 I'll be able to hit the power button with one hand and not be scared I'll drop the phone.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
HTC One X (AT&T) NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME
Hardware
Volume toggle button on side too easy to accidentally push.

Uhh, this one has got me scratching my head. One would assume you WANT the volume toggle to be easily accessible during a call, and the power button hard to accidentally push?

Install "No Lock" immediately because the unlock ring is stupid as long as I have to also push the button on top. It is an unnatural movement for your hand to go from the top to the bottom and you only need a software lock when you already have a hardware lock if you are in an un-secure location.

My company enforces (through Exchange ActiveSync policy) a PIN number of better on all devices. It's not getting unlocked with one hand, period. That being said, I find the ring system to be elegant and intuitive, and an easy swipe up with the thumb to unlock after pressing the Power button with the index finger works better than trying to slide the thumb from the left to the right of this rather wide phone. Oh, one other thing: it doesn't resemble anything Apple in any way, which might almost prevent Apple from suing.

Software, change to stock keyboard immediately but some native apps still will not provide landscape keyboard.
Notes App sux big time and is useless in every sense of the word.
Contacts app is pretty bad too.

Have to agree on the keyboard, I ended up installing the Swype beta. The HTC keyboard is OK at best, but there's no way to disable the arrow keys, and they take up a lot of space. Contacts is a lot better than either TouchWIZ or MotoBLUR though.

One thing that's nice about HTC is that they still have a USB Mass Storage option for compatibility's sake. MTP always seemed very slow and buggy to me.

shadowhawk2020

May 20, 2010
Visit site
So it took all of 2 minutes to find why they're shipping the dual core with 2GB of RAM and it relates to TouchWiz. To make TouchWiz run as fluidly on the dual core as it does on the quad core they're dedicating 1GB to the GPU thus leaving nothing extra left over. Listen to the latest Android Central pidcast, they detail it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Soooo...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...sprint-event-showing-off-gs3.html#post1850680

And nother comment I made to Chris, "Holy crap, it's using 437mb of RAM and there's still 1.2GB free!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smuglur