is it normal that android system usage is 98%? why?

nooneelse

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
just got my HTC one yesterday, and the software upgraded to from 4.1 to 4.3 today..
I noticed my battery had just been fully charged and after 5 minutes of moving around some widgets and setting the phones.. i noticed it's already at 94%.
So I went to battery usage, and found that Android System Usage is@ 92-93%.. I restarted the phone, check again, still at 92%.
I remembered yesterday before the upgrade, it was at 19% or so.. if I remembered it right.

Why is this and is this normal?

What exactly is it using? I don't use FB, no twitter, disabled most of the google/atnt app. cuz I don't use them..
I didn't download or play any game.. really wasn't doing anything much with my phone at all besides some simple customization.
my phone is on battery saver.. dim light..

Just checked my phone now, been 10 minutes since the restart, its just been sitting there, black screen..
and it already dropped 1%.. I don't remember the phone battery drain this fast yestreday. It lasted full 8 hour while sleep only dropping 10%.

what is going on..

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Could be the update itself. Give the device a day or two to settle in.. Yes that can happen with a major OS update.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
ok these threads are getting silly.

"my battery dropped 1% in 5 minutes"

"my battery dropped 3% overnight"

"my battery dropped 2% whilst i had a ****".

now do you understand why OS developers are so hesitant to put battery percentages on the SB?

the battery usage IS NOT an indicator of how much your phone is consuming energy. for that you have history.

battery usage all it displays is how your energy consumption is being distributed amongst your apps or, in your case, the system. because you recently updated to a new OS, and apparently havent been using any power-hungry apps in the meantime (such as games or google maps, etc.) Android tops the charts as the "app" where most of your battery energy (high or low) is going to. it does NOT mean its consuming a lot of power, it just means it is the ONLY thing consuming power. play an intensive game for a few hours and it will rocket to the top in "usage" .

as for the percentages people give it a rest please. if you suspect there is something wrong with your battery because its draining fast throughout the day check the "history" tab under power and see where that energy is being spent. battery percentages are not exact science they are volatile artifacts by nature all the percentage does is give you a clue. sometimes i turn my macbook air from an overnight charge and it stands at 99%. i don't go crazy over it, nor do i keep monitoring my phone's battery percentage every minute.

at the end of the day the important thing is if it lasts you throughout the day. if it doesn't, it may be a variety of factors: you use loads of power-hungry apps, your battery is damaged or the htc one battery just doesnt fit your needs.

as for dropping 1% after 10 minutes - there are loads of stuff going on in the background even when the screen is off. it might be checking your emails, it might be indexing files, it might be on alert for notifications from all your apps, it might be doing backups, it might be in an area with poor signal strength.. who knows?

don't stress and just enjoy the phone.

nooneelse

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the reply, sorry for sounding like the worry freak.. just been seeing people talking about the poor battery drainage, especially with the upgrade to 4.3, thought i'd check.. anyway, i'll give it a couple more days to see how it goes.

Tiago Silva

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
ok these threads are getting silly.

"my battery dropped 1% in 5 minutes"

"my battery dropped 3% overnight"

"my battery dropped 2% whilst i had a ****".

now do you understand why OS developers are so hesitant to put battery percentages on the SB?

the battery usage IS NOT an indicator of how much your phone is consuming energy. for that you have history.

battery usage all it displays is how your energy consumption is being distributed amongst your apps or, in your case, the system. because you recently updated to a new OS, and apparently havent been using any power-hungry apps in the meantime (such as games or google maps, etc.) Android tops the charts as the "app" where most of your battery energy (high or low) is going to. it does NOT mean its consuming a lot of power, it just means it is the ONLY thing consuming power. play an intensive game for a few hours and it will rocket to the top in "usage" .

as for the percentages people give it a rest please. if you suspect there is something wrong with your battery because its draining fast throughout the day check the "history" tab under power and see where that energy is being spent. battery percentages are not exact science they are volatile artifacts by nature all the percentage does is give you a clue. sometimes i turn my macbook air from an overnight charge and it stands at 99%. i don't go crazy over it, nor do i keep monitoring my phone's battery percentage every minute.

at the end of the day the important thing is if it lasts you throughout the day. if it doesn't, it may be a variety of factors: you use loads of power-hungry apps, your battery is damaged or the htc one battery just doesnt fit your needs.

as for dropping 1% after 10 minutes - there are loads of stuff going on in the background even when the screen is off. it might be checking your emails, it might be indexing files, it might be on alert for notifications from all your apps, it might be doing backups, it might be in an area with poor signal strength.. who knows?

don't stress and just enjoy the phone.

I am sorry to say but battery stats programs are really usefull. I had massive battery drain. After watching what was causing battery problems i disable google services location. Afterwards i could use my phone without charging trough the day. Before my phone could not reach night without charging. So i dont see where silly part is... The history tab is useless sometimes as it really dont show the real drain.
Folowing that logic, forums like this are for obsessed people. You should just use your phone.

Dont stress with other's people threads and enjoy your phone...

Last edited:

Dave Clark

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the reply, sorry for sounding like the worry freak.. just been seeing people talking about the poor battery drainage, especially with the upgrade to 4.3, thought i'd check.. anyway, i'll give it a couple more days to see how it goes.

Don't apologise for asking a question, on any forum you should feel free to come and ask anything related to that forum. Some people just get on their high horse about some stuff being asked. Don't worry about it bro.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
There could be some issue, I've found that Google Services and Android OS have been "flaky" for battery usage in the past few weeks on my S4. Restarting usually fixes it, though and it seems to happen less and less.

This next part isn't directed at the OP, it's just a little illustration of how to interpret battery usage better.

However, as others have said, you really need a lot more time to tell if anything strange is going on. There could be some task that the OS does very infrequently that it happened to do after you unplugged it. It's hard to tell how long it takes the phone to go down 1% unless you time the entire percent (i.e. watching it go from 91% to 90% doesn't mean it went down a whole percent, just that you happened to see the transition). You need several hours of normal use (and you have to know what normal use looks like) to see if anything out of the ordinary is going on.

It would be like if you looked at everything I ate for the day at 6:30AM. The results would show that my diet consists of 100% coffee. That is not a very healthy diet, but because the sample time is so short it's also not at all representative of what I actually eat in a day. If at 9PM you found that coffee was still super high on the list there would be an issue. But on a normal day it would have dropped down to the bottom of the list (I only drink one cup per day).

slimshady07

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I've read a lot of complaints about the phone after the 4.3 update (such as battery drainage etc). I'm still on 4.2.2 now can I know is there any problem you guys faced after the 4.3 update? If there're a lot of problems that I shall just wait for the 4.4 update.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Battery life with 4.3 was very good for me.
Unfortunately I don't like it with 4.4
Moreover Google made an Apple move and Battery monitor apps can't work anymore with the phones being rooted.
So you can't understand if and what is draining your battery.
The phone's Power menu is completely useless. Not even Screen On time.

jlh73

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Android system on mine is 72% I'm on 4.3 also. I've been wondering the same thing so I'm glad you asked. This isn't a silly thread.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
There are no stupid questions. Never feel bad about asking.

As for being trolled for asking a question that's what the Mod team is here for ;)

Paul
Moderator Team Leader

Sent from my awesome HTC One