LG G2: Another battery thread but I am desperate

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys and please dont crucify me. I know there's a ton of other battery issue threads on this forum and on many others but I cant find the right one. I have looked up each and every one of them, about mediaserver draining the battery about the android system and so on. I have done everything each thread said to, downloaded greenify and hibernated most active apps, disabled and froze certain bloatware with titanium backup pro and so many other things. And I think that the battery would be supposed to perform at its best right now. I am not a very heavy user, I just use my phone for music, calls, a little gaming and the occasional facebook/messenger/browser session with either 4G or WiFi. I have everything everyone ever said turned off. Things like auto backup of Google+ and all location services and auto sync. Screen is constantly at 65% brightness. To further prove my point, at this point in this post which took me like 3 minutes to write, my battery has lost 3 percent. I can leave the phone unplugged all night at 100% and when I wake up it will be at 95% but the moment I pick it up and start playing some music or some games the battery goes down really fast. I can even compare it to the battery of my old Xperia S after a year and a half use which was like 7 hours altogether. Battery stats say that mediaserver takes up 20ish% battery and Android system goes over 40%. I really don't know what to do. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance, George.

Last edited by a moderator:

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Another battery thread but I am desperate

Your display brightness strikes me as high. I leave mine at 40. Let's face it, its a big screen to light up and 65 is using a lot of juice. Try going down to 35 or 40 and see if battery life improves markedly.

Posted via Android Central App

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site

Ok I will try but why are the % of mediaserver and android system so high in the battery app? And what is that 1013 service?

AZDroid

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Are you streaming music or using music stored on your phone? I found the Facebook app to be horrible on battery, I deleted it and go to Facebook on the chrome browser instead, that made a huge difference.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

RobotHeaven

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Most of my thoughts have been said so far. Facebook being a big background drain and 65% for the display seems wayyyyyyyy too high for a display as naturally bright as the G2. Indoors your display should reasonably be between 0 and about 20% to see it clearly. Outside in sunny weather about 30 to 50%. Your display at 65% is gonna be a massive drain on your battery, the biggest by far. So i'm not surprised it goes down really quickly.

From what you've said there the mediaserver seems the least of your worries. The mediaserver is likely related to facebook.

What's your signal usually like?

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Brightness to 65 shouldn'd cause a huge drain and in his examples shouldnt be a main cause... I've gone from stock 60% to 75% recently and just this past weekend in moderate usage I got about 36 hours of battery with about 4-4.5 hours of on screen time and satified with that with the brightness bump. In florida outdoors I find it necessary to bump it up to when I am outside.

Battery has been much better since kitkat where it's been very consistant and idle drain improved... I just unplugged last night went the full night and then some 12 hours at 100%. This phone has been the best I've ever had as far as battery life and usage time goes. Best phone I've had to date really.

Sounds like OP has app installed thats causing it. I'd reset and test baseline. Also, curious what carrier you are using?

Your display brightness strikes me as high. I leave mine at 40. Let's face it, its a big screen to light up and 65 is using a lot of juice. Try going down to 35 or 40 and see if battery life improves markedly.

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site

I'm from Greece so carrier isn't really that important. What I mean is that there are no apps installed on the phone from my carrier. I can make a list of my apps if you want. It's not like that I have filled up the whole phone. It's mainly games,some of them online, dropbox, facebook, messenger, a youtube downloader, skype, yahoo mail and all of the above battery-related apps (Greenify, WLD, BBS). Because I had my phone charged, I can't post a picture right now but I will post one when it's at about 50%. Also, one of the first things I did was move my Music folder from my old Xperia S to the G2 so I could have my music. And no I am not streaming anything. I also found on some thread in xda about a Mediaserver Killer app which I downloaded and really reduced the mediaserver usage on the battery app but I think the killer itself wakes up my phone way too many times.

OzRob

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site

I'm from Greece so carrier isn't really that important.

Carrier is important from the point of view of signal strength and coverage. If you're getting a poor signal where you live, the phone may be using a lot of power just trying to hang onto that signal. Poor cell signal strength can be a major source of battery power drain.

It's mainly games,some of them online, dropbox, facebook, messenger, a youtube downloader, skype, yahoo mail and all of the above battery-related apps (Greenify, WLD, BBS).

If you want to get to the bottom of most battery issues you need to uninstall these apps, particularly ones like Facebook that work constantly in the background, so that you can isolate what is causing the drain. You say Mediaserver is an issue, but AFAIK media server is a service that's employed to serve local media files to the apps that play them. To me that points to an issue with media files. You say you moved the music folder from your old phone to the G2. Perhaps one of the files is corrupt leading to Mediaserver constantly trying to index your files and failing.

Bottom line is, rather than keep adding apps to try to analyse your battery usage, start removing apps that may contribute to it. Of course the best way of doing this is a full hard reset, then set up the phone again from scratch, checking battery drain after installing each app. It's a long and tedious process, but it might be the best way.

Maybe try these steps:
  • Delete the music folder from your device (make sure you have a backup, though). Test battery drain for a day or two.
  • Uninstall all downloaded media apps such as Youtube. Test battery drain for a day or two.
  • Uninstall all messaging apps like Facebook, Whatsapp, etc. Test battery drain for a day or two.
  • If you still have a problem, reset phone to factory defaults, setup your Google account but don't restore any apps or settings. Run phone for a few days 'naked' without any additional apps and see if you still have an issue. If you do, try reinstalling the firmware and repeat the process.
  • If you still have a problem you might have a dud battery. Take it back to the vendor for a warranty replacement.

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the helpful tips man. I ran some mp3-checking program and it said that there were like 40 corrupt media files in that folder. I cleaned it up and re-transfered the music back to my phone through the PC Suite program. Also uninstalled Facebook. Hope this will fix it.
P.S.: Do you have any idea how to stop Messenger from running constantly in the background? I mean, whenever I turn on my wifi or data, I get bombarded by notifications. I know how to turn off the notifications but I don't think this really fixes the issue.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the helpful tips man. I ran some mp3-checking program and it said that there were like 40 corrupt media files in that folder. I cleaned it up and re-transfered the music back to my phone through the PC Suite program. Also uninstalled Facebook. Hope this will fix it.
P.S.: Do you have any idea how to stop Messenger from running constantly in the background? I mean, whenever I turn on my wifi or data, I get bombarded by notifications. I know how to turn off the notifications but I don't think this really fixes the issue.

Edit: sorry, missed you said you WERE using Messenger. That is most likely what's killing your battery. Uninstall that, the regular Facebook app is fine.

---
Facebook is not necessarily the issue unless you're using it for Messenger. I use Facebook all the time, and have never had an issue.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

I also had rapid battery drain and tried a lot of recommendations here. The only thing I found that worked was turning off wifi unless I needed it. My phone has gone from 100% to 84% over the last 8 hours, which I can live with.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I also had rapid battery drain and tried a lot of recommendations here. The only thing I found that worked was turning off wifi unless I needed it. My phone has gone from 100% to 84% over the last 8 hours, which I can live with.

Did you still have mobile data turned on? I've never seen just wifi use that much juice. Might be an app that only syncs over wifi.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site

Guys, I think that I fixed it. It appears that these corrupt mp3 files were causing the media server to run all the time and as a result the Android system too. I now am at 57% over 18 hours with Screen's consumption at 39% and the rest are below 10%, mediaserver and and. system at ~4-5%. It finally feels like that the battery gets drained but what I really AM using. Also, what do you think about the Clean Master app? It was with GO Launcher when I tested it and never really deleted it and it does a good job deleting junk files boosting games and clearing ram. Should I just use the stock task manager widget or is that good too?

RobotHeaven

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Cograts!
Glad you got it sorted. The mediaserver process is like an indexer of media. That's why i thought at first it was related to FB

Also, what do you think about the Clean Master app?
I used to use that but i personally wouldn't bother because you can use the native apps for doing what you want to do (eg settings -> storage -< cache files -> DELETE. For cleaning out the memory now and again, it;s not really needed but you can use the native task manager to do this.)

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site

Cograts!
Glad you got it sorted. The mediaserver process is like an indexer of media. That's why i thought at first it was related to FB

I used to use that but i personally wouldn't bother because you can use the native apps for doing what you want to do (eg settings -> storage -< cache files -> DELETE. For cleaning out the memory now and again, it;s not really needed but you can use the native task manager to do this.)

Yeah me too. I think I am going to stick to the stock apps from now on. Thanks for all the help guys!

phillyundead

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

Try getting a better phone. My phone is always one full brightness and still lasts 2 days. Note 3 stw

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

Try getting a better phone. My phone is always one full brightness and still lasts 2 days. Note 3 stw

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Perhaps he likes his phone to actually fit in his pocket?