g3 back from repairs

Carlos Thwaites

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Got my g3 back from repair yesterday and the lg replaced the lcd, digitizer glass because i had a faulty lcd. But when i received the handset back for some reason it had been reverted back to kitkat even though it was on lollipop when i sent it in... Any ideas why lg did that? Or do u think its a brand new replacement phone?

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did they itemize what was replaced or repaired? Makes me wonder if they replaced the motherboard.

Carlos Thwaites

May 17, 2014
Visit site
The slip said they replaced the lcd, front glass and the sensor were the screen gose of when your in a call. But my when i sent my g3 in it had a small crack underneath in between the charger port on headphone jack and a small mark on the right bezel but since i had it back the crack isn't there or the mark. Plus it had all the clear plastic on all the bezels the same ones that are on when u get the g3 from new.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The plastic film is easy to apply. But you're right to wonder--maybe they gave up on your repair and just sent you a refurb. Can you update the system?

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
cant you just look at your box and check the serial number? did it just register right away with your carrier or did you have to re register it? I know for me with Verizon if it didn't automatically activate on its own with the same sim card inside, it would mean they switched the phones.

what type of screen protector do you use? I noticed with my phone I have best sensitivity with icarez matte screen guards. Tempered glass seemed to work but I just didn't care for it.

Carlos Thwaites

May 17, 2014
Visit site
It has the same imi and it was the uk three branded software wich was the same as it was when i sent it. Only differences Was it had a new set of bezels a new lcd and new screen but i think theres more to it as i dont get why it was on kitkat when i sent the phone in in lollipop. My sim registerd stright away but that will be because i have a 3 sim and its 3 branded.. Its works perfect and feels like a new phone i dont have no complains with the returned handset i just dont get why it was reverted back to kitkat.. I reckon they my have gived up on the repair and sent a refurb or a nee phone like u said

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
So you had to send it in before you got one back?
I just called and had them send me one before I sent my bad one in.
I also had them credit me about $110 since I paid for a new phone and got a replacement.
Which brings me to the answer of your question.
They "replaced" everything you needed but its NOT the same phone.
They told me all repairs get a refurbished replacement and they all have the "new" stickers.
That is why you saw KitKat instead.

Carlos Thwaites

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I sent it off with geeksquad wich is a company who deal with warranties but they just sent it to lg for me. But when i got the phone back i was told that they replaced the lcd and glass but also the sensor at the top.... So if the same rules apply with me what they told u then really ive just been sent a refurbed phone.?

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I sent it off with geeksquad wich is a company who deal with warranties but they just sent it to lg for me. But when i got the phone back i was told that they replaced the lcd and glass but also the sensor at the top.... So if the same rules apply with me what they told u then really ive just been sent a refurbed phone.?

No, since you bought it at best buy they send the repairs directly to LG.
I bought my phone from AT&T so I sent it to them and they sent me a refurbished one.
However LG can do the same at their discretion.
They most likely replaced the parts they needed to and factory reset the phone.
Since its up to the carrier to release updates, LG will not try to update to L.
Once all carriers release updates, then and only then will LG have updates on their mobile support tool.
Either way they wouldn't do the update for you, so you would have to do it.

Last edited:

Carlos Thwaites

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I have found the reason to why the phone had been reverted back to kitkat. The mobile support said it was to celebrate the screen properly

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
To calibrate the screen? That's a strange reason. You'd think they could do that with Lollipop as well.

Carlos Thwaites

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Yea they will say anything to keep me away but they dont even know what they are talking about because apparently the screen in my g3 is samsung made and is amoled hahahaha. Think the guy i saw was in the wrong kind of work

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Yea they will say anything to keep me away but they dont even know what they are talking about because apparently the screen in my g3 is samsung made and is amoled hahahaha. Think the guy i saw was in the wrong kind of work

What????? No way, that's impossible and is noticeable at first glance.