The LG G5 is underrated.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

Before I get to the meat and potatoes of my post and my reasoning for why I believe the LG G5 is underrated, I'll give you a bit of my cellphone addiction history. I was a die hard Nokia fan back in Nokia's glory days. So in the smartphone era I stuck with them even when they went to Windows Phone. I'm also big on having the best camera you can get on a phone. Nokia was no slouch in the camera department so I was happy.

I had brief forays with other brands and ecosystems (iphone 4s, LG Nexus 5, Samsung galaxy Note 4)but got bored of them pretty quickly and ended up back on Windows Phone with the Lumia 950 and its Nokia camera DNA.

Being a cellphone geek I'm always watching reviews of phones, most of which I don't buy. But something about the LG G5 peaked my interest when it first came out. However a lot of the reviewers seemed disappointed with it, so that was a bummer.

Fast forward to about two weeks ago and Windows Phone lost two apps that are crucial to me. Myfitnesspal and Amazon. Myfitnesspal is especially important to me. Tired of making excuses for Windows Phone I finally decided it was time to switch platforms. I was considering the iphone, but that would be a step backwards with camera quality. The Note 7 really interested me at first, and I was seriously considering getting one, but for $1100 (in Canada) it seemed a bit much for an S7 edge with a stylus. Then I remembered the LG G5. Looked up the specs online again and was happy to see the same Snapdragon 820 and 4GB of ram as the Note 7! Even better was I got an unlocked dual-sim version for $540 CAD!! Half the price of the Note 7.

I've only had it for a week, but I'm VERY happy with it. I don't understand why so many reviewers seemed disappointed with it. I think they get bamboozled by Samsung's admittedly gorgeous screens and fit and finish, that it skews their verdict.

My reasons for it being underrated:

-The LG G5 is fast as hell. I haven't been able to make it hiccup once.
-I LOVE that it has double tap to wake on the lockscreen. Any old Nokia fan will appreciate this.
-The camera ROCKS. The wide angle camera is a game changer in my opinion. I've been having a blast with it.
-I like LG's skin on Android. Seems less invasive than touchwiz and a little closer to stock Android.
-In my experience at least, battery life is quite good. I work 11 hour shifts and when I get home from work I'm still at about 55%-60%
-Removable battery and MicroSD card support. 'Nuff said.
-The feel is nicer than online reviewers had me believing. It does not feel like plastic to me.
-Value! Value! Value! Getting a phone with specs like Snapdragon 820, 4GB of ram, QHD display, dual camera arguably best on the market at the moment for $540 CAD unlocked is a bargain and it can't be beat.

There you have it. Long winded post I know. But I see a lot of people giving the G5 flak and I just don't see why. Especially considering the price you can get it for today!!!

Kris

William Nale

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for that review. I've been loving my G5 for over a month now. Not as lucky with battery life as you though.
I have been getting bummed about the lack of reliability & quality reports I've been reading. I came from a Note 4. Other than the screen & size, I prefer the G5.
Hopefully this phone holds up, so far I love it.

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Just picked up a LG G5 coming from the LG G4 and G3 and no issues so far. Bluetooth worked immediately and this phone is smoking fast. The size of the phone is finally just right as the G4 was a tad big for me. I use a case so I don't really care about how the "Metal" feels. Set it up just right with Nova Launcher prime and I will be testing out the music with Neutron Music player and my headphones later. As with all LG phones which has me coming back the radios and call quality can't be beat as I get service where others don't on the LG phones.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I just sent back my note 7 and trying to decide if I want to pick that up again or go to something else. I had the g2, g3, g4 briefly. Don't know why but never interested in the g5 until the note 7 recall. You are sure right on it with value. I have been looking around and you can get new ones as low as $300 or so. I'm thinking of picking one up and seeing how it goes. Only concern is battery life. Every review I've seen says this is one of the fastest phones they've used.

csetoue

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I just sent back my note 7 and trying to decide if I want to pick that up again or go to something else. I had the g2, g3, g4 briefly. Don't know why but never interested in the g5 until the note 7 recall. You are sure right on it with value. I have been looking around and you can get new ones as low as $300 or so. I'm thinking of picking one up and seeing how it goes. Only concern is battery life. Every review I've seen says this is one of the fastest phones they've used.
Battery life is totally OK.

I bought a spare battery and still haven't used it.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Great commentary, Chris!

I would like to put my two cents in if that's okay.

First of all I am a Nexus junkie (but I guess now a Pixel lover) and my first choice of phone was the Nexus 6P. My carrier stopped offering it. I had a few Fido dollars saved up and needed to use them.
I just bought my grandson a Galaxy S6 a few months back. It looked very similar to his S3. I think Samsung makes great phones but I'm not a fan of TouchWiz but decided to get the S7. (my phone had to be better than his). It was out of stock. The sales person tried to sell me the G5 but it was out of stock as well. I knew nothing about it and wanted to do some research first. It all looks good so l call Fido to order the S7 from them but they had none either. Back to the G5. The sales person again tries to sell me the G5 and tells me it's $250 cheaper than the S7. Sold. Then comes back and tell me he made a mistake and it's only $150 cheaper. Not a deal breaker so I buy it.
The next day it gets delivered (Sunday). In the meantime I'm reading review after review and no one has anything good to say about this phone.
Now, I'm bummed. I think I made a huge mistake.
Anyway, I unbox the phone and start looking for these things that are supposed to be wrong with it and find nothing. As a matter of fact, I think it's the koolest looking phone ever. It's kind of manly looking. It's real solid and it's got a nice weight to it and it feels great to hold. I also heard somewhere that it was made from magnesium, not aluminum but I can't validate that. I just like it.
So far, so good. I'm happy!
Then I started using it. Wow! What an amazing gadget. Super fast. The fingerprint scanner was tempermental when I first set it up. But now it is so fast and accurate.
The LG skin? Not a fan. A lot of people said there was no app drawer but I bought my phone in June so the option was there. I use Nova Launcher anyway. That issue solved.
Now, for the real reason I bought the G5. I had the Nexus 4 and the camera was crap. Same with the iPhone 4. Same with the Nexus 7, the Nexus 9. I wanted a decent camera but boy did I get much more. The main camera is stunning! The second wide-angle lens is really fun and very good. It takes great videos and has a ton of features and extras. Too many to go thru here. Just know that all the flagship phones have great shooters. The G5 has an extra one.
Now! I tried to use the phone out in the sun and was quite disappointed until I clicked the auto feature. The thing finally went bright enough that I can see it and actually use it. The first gadget ever that I could use in the bright sun.
Now, on to the extras. I didn't buy this phone because it was modular. Good thing. I can't seem to find any in Canada anyways. I was happy I had the ability to swap the battery out though but never have yet. I don't see a need for that. The battery life is way better than what I am used to. SD card support is a real bonus.
I've always wanted a gadget with an IR Blaster and didn't even know that the G5 had it. But what an awesome thing to discover. And it works really good. It takes the place of six separate ones.
Another added bonus is the FM radio which I haven't even used yet.
There you have it! I could go on and on about this really great phone but I will start to wind this down now.

Really! What's there not to like? The small battery? I don't have battery issues. The gaps between the chin and the body? Not present. Some complain about the build quality. Mine looks great! Other's have mentioned the screen bleeding. I don't have that. I'm sure some must have it and that's awful. I love this screen.
All in all I'm really glad the sales person talked me into buying this phone. I've had it for 3 months now and can't put it down.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Kris! My apologies! I misspelled your name.

No worries! And great write-up. My experiences have still been nothing but positive. I'm not saying others who've had issues aren't telling the truth, but maybe they had early production units? Mine was manufactured in June so a few months after the initial runs. Maybe LG ironed out some kinks before that.

But for me this phone is a major win especially considering the price. And in my opinion the camera is the best on the market currently.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the review! Admittedly, I was one of the disappointed folk at the start of its release; but then it started to grow on me. I've seen and held one up close (a co-worker showed me his), and it further confirmed the decision I've made: I like it. I don't think it's nearly as "disappointing" as others say. It's a great device. And WOW, I didn't know it was such a steal in Canada!

LG did a good job with the G5. I'm happy you like yours!

revelations65

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Just received mine, o2 gave it to me for a replacement, I had a G4 it was a great phone, horrible battery life, and it got hot very hot, so they said here is a g5 my thoughts on one day, faster, more responsive, camera amazing, as for the modular stuff not interested in that, but the fast charging is great, but I like the looks over the G4 but it's just one day but I like it so far

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Just a little update after taking my LG G5 on a two week vacation to the UK:

I used the phone HEAVILY during my vacation with travel apps and offline GPS maps and of course the camera. The phone did not stutter even once. It NEVER let me down.

I can't stress how the wide angle camera is a game changer for me. Visiting museums and historical sites there were several photos that simply would have been impossible without that wide-angle camera. It's not DSLR quality but better than not getting the shot at all!

Another thing I noticed is the audio playback quality with earphones is very good.

So almost a month with the phone now and I'm still just as happy as I was initially.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Just a little update after taking my LG G5 on a two week vacation to the UK:

I used the phone HEAVILY during my vacation with travel apps and offline GPS maps and of course the camera. The phone did not stutter even once. It NEVER let me down.

I can't stress how the wide angle camera is a game changer for me. Visiting museums and historical sites there were several photos that simply would have been impossible without that wide-angle camera. It's not DSLR quality but better than not getting the shot at all!

Another thing I noticed is the audio playback quality with earphones is very good.

So almost a month with the phone now and I'm still just as happy as I was initially.

It was the main reason I bought this phone a second time after initial doubts. Glad to see they added it to the V20.