LG G5 Build Quality

A

AC Question

I'm thinking of upgrading my Galaxy S5 to the unlocked LG G5. I was wondering if anyone could offer their opinions on the build quality. I typically carry my phone without a case in my front pocket. Is it likely to bend while in my front pocket? It seems really thin compared to my S5 and I know it's taller. I'm a short person and my S5 seems to find it's way to the side of my leg when I sit.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Crabby Abie The Queen T-Flo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm thinking of upgrading my Galaxy S5 to the unlocked LG G5. I was wondering if anyone could offer their opinions on the build quality. I typically carry my phone without a case in my front pocket. Is it likely to bend while in my front pocket? It seems really thin compared to my S5 and I know it's taller. I'm a short person and my S5 seems to find it's way to the side of my leg when I sit.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

I own one. Galaxy S5 to G5 here too! Actually theres a thread like this one...about build quality.

G5, it does not look like full metal bcoz of the coating. I have mine in a case. Just be careful , sand might get into your pocket. If u invest in a case, look for a thin one or else it might obstruct the wide angle lens when u take pics.

G5 is ok. The good, really loud speakers. Call quality , esp with full volume you'll turn deaf! Fast phone, the wide angle lens is nice , battery okey ,gets me through the day with hibernation app installed.

The not so good, mostly cosmetic flaws. The edges are sharp, well at least for me, thats why i put a case. Very hard to look for a screen protector. The removable modules has a small gap, esp when you're fond of battery swapping. Just bad quality control. This phone is like the Frankenstein of phones. No interesting modules (very expensive too). The always on screen very dim in broad daylight. Mine turns very warm when i use under the sun esp with full brightness where u will need bcoz its LCD screen. Notice the screen bleed on lower right.

Look at amazon reviews first. Read as much negative reviews, don't be afraid. I wish i did.

Well its really up to you, its your decision. There is the pixel phone from Google, there is the V20 from LG, if you want options. I hope you will choose the best phone. :))

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Hey! I'm sorry for Crabby Abie's misfortune with her purchase of the G5. Too bad for her. Although, to her credit, she owns a G5 with issues which indicates there must be other phones with issues. I just happened to not get one.

I hope you find one with no issues because even a G5 with a couple of cosmetic issues is still a fantastic piece of tech bliss.

My phone is flawless. No chin gap. No sharp edges. No screen bleed. No flaws in the finish. No loose power button. I wish Queen T-Flo had gotten one like mine. She's a smart gal! She knows how awesome this gadget is or she would have ditched it by now.

This phone won't bend in your pocket. I don't agree with Abie about it being the "Frankenstein" of phones. But I do agree with some of the other things she mentioned though. I can see mine just fine in the bright sun. It's the first gadget I could use in the sun.

I, like Abie, recommend you really give it a good look-over before you make the purchase. I do believe it will be a boatload cheaper than the Pixel or the V20 handsets. (I'd love to get a V20. I'm somewhat of an audiophile.)

It's an awesome phone and you will certainly love it yourself.

Good luck!

One other thing... I really like the way this phone looks and feels and would rather not case it. The problem with that is I also try and keep my gadgets pristine for possible resale. So.. I put a dbrand skin on it to prevent scuffs and scratches. The skin also helps with the grip. Then, I bought a minimalist clear rubber case to put it in when I'm out. It doesn't hinder the wide-angle shooter at all and protects it from accidental drops.

Last edited:

Im Broken

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
Mine is solid. I don't have any gaps or physical imperfections of any kind. Even if I did I don't give a crap if my battery cover has a .00001 millimeter gap or the metal case has been painted instead of bare metal. Give me a powerhouse of a phone that runs and functions beautifully and I can look past cosmetic things I don't care about.

Crabby Abie The Queen T-Flo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Hey! I'm sorry for Crabby Abie's misfortune with her purchase of the G5. Too bad for her. Although, to her credit, she owns a G5 with issues which indicates there must be other phones with issues. I just happened to not get one.

I hope you find one with no issues because even a G5 with a couple of cosmetic issues is still a fantastic piece of tech bliss.

My phone is flawless. No chin gap. No sharp edges. No screen bleed. No flaws in the finish. No loose power button. I wish Queen T-Flo had gotten one like mine. She's a smart gal! She knows how awesome this gadget is or she would have ditched it by now.

This phone won't bend in your pocket. I don't agree with Abie about it being the "Frankenstein" of phones. But I do agree with some of the other things she mentioned though. I can see mine just fine in the bright sun. It's the first gadget I could use in the sun.

I, like Abie, recommend you really give it a good look-over before you make the purchase. I do believe it will be a boatload cheaper than the Pixel or the V20 handsets. (I'd love to get a V20. I'm somewhat of an audiophile.)

It's an awesome phone and you will certainly love it yourself.

Good luck!

One other thing... I really like the way this phone looks and feels and would rather not case it. The problem with that is I also try and keep my gadgets pristine for possible resale. So.. I put a dbrand skin on it to prevent scuffs and scratches. The skin also helps with the grip. Then, I bought a minimalist clear rubber case to put it in when I'm out. It doesn't hinder the wide-angle shooter at all and protects it from accidental drops.

They say that number 1 will scratch number 2 if number 1 is harder than number 2. is this true? i never had cratches with all my phones because i am very careful and my phones are always wrapped in a case and i use screen protector.

Yes i do have cosmetic problems with this phone. Very painful too look at haha. I have OCD ,so yup...its different coz some of you might not care about small flaws, but im very meticulous and even the tiniest of tinies bother me bigtime. It would take me days to convince myself that i would upgrade my phone after a year or 2 anyway... Hah, im just weird. LoL

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I had an S5 from Sprint then ported it to Boost. I loved it and wanted to keep it but the coverage area of that network was bothersome when we went on trips mostly camping and had no data or sometimes no voice either. So i needed a phone that i could take to any carrier and change with out commitment if i wanted. The G5 seemed like great performance specs and about the size i could deal with. It is taller than the S5 but only a tiny bit wider. I love the cameras, love the speaker, the display is good but the s7 had a better display. The only thing i dont like is the small gap in fit and finish where the phone body meets the chin/battery tray, but I always use a case. So with my urban armor gear case that is not an issue. I love the phone and so far no problems with it or the carrier I picked.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have held a co-worker's G5 and was impressed with the build quality and display. It seems to be very bright and well-built. Seeing it up close further proved to me that it is a worthwhile phone to purchase. Good luck with your decision!

nanikahakai

May 3, 2016
Visit site
To: AC Question

Hi Matt,
If you want the unlocked G5 then you should purchase it from the wonderful electronics store in NYC on 9th. Get the variant RS988 (the International model) & be sure to purchase your insurance from them because you will not find a better premium anywhere. I have an Otter case but only use the rubber shell because my hands are very weak. Also it makes it extremely easy to switch batteries. They might have a bundle special (the phone plus a couple of the "friends"). They are EXCELLENT people to work with. I had problems getting a G5 that worked properly. (LG could have done a better job of QA when first released the G5). The store was very gracious about providing me with RMAs until I finally received this one that has worked perfectly (knock on silicon). It was a frustrating process....not their fault....purely LG....ah, but that store is like a candy shop. Just Google "electronics store in NYC on 9th, that sells unlocked international LG G5 cell phones" & it will pop right up. I don't think we're allowed to promote businesses within the forums; that's why I'm not telling you the name of the store, outright.

Posted via the Android Central App

phissure

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I recieved a G5 from T-Mobile after getting 3 bad G4s. My G5 came in late August/Early September (I don't remember...). The GPS is failing in it right now. If I stand outside with no sky obstructions I can get 10 to 15 sats, but none ever reaches above 30% signal. In my Toyota Sienna last night while driving on the highway I put on Google Maps and had it give me directions. Every few minutes it would say "GPS Signal Lost". This was in southern Idaho where there is litterally nothing but desert. I went to T-Mobile and did a warrant claim. They are telling me that the G5 is now backordered.

Notice the Accuracy. This was with the phone on the dashboard of my van...
gps.jpg

nanikahakai

May 3, 2016
Visit site
I am having reception problems and I live 2.5 miles away from 2 T-Mobile towers & there are 2 more within 7 miles. It's so frustrating that I opened my Twitter and sent a Tweet to the boastful loudmouth foulmouthed John Legre. "TMobile Help" immediately ran interference for him and I am now working with them. If I was in your situation, I would tweet J.L. something like:
I need G5 warrantyXchange & U 👎 do it! What kind of BS is this? .LG B/O TM? RU not their BFF?
I used BS because the English translation for "caca de vaca" (which doesn't spew out of my mouth) is his FAVORITE phrase. You will get instabt response & help.