How to fix G5 with network locked after 10 failed attempts

silviumc

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
I've got a G5 that was supposed to be unlocked, but it actually wasn't because the Orange shop had an incompetent clerk.

I put in it a new nanoSIM an it asked for a code. I input the PIN of the SIM and it wasn't the right thing, then, after about 6 or 7 retries I stopped and called Vodafone, my carrier, to see if the new nanoSIM is activated or what's going on? They said it's all right if I block the SIM, they can unblock it, no problem.

Except that the phone wasn't asking for the SIM PIN, but for the network unlock code.

I don't know why I didn't understand that. It's because I wasn't expecting anything of the sort. I just thought that newer phones have a different word for PIN, whatever. I had a coworker with me when doing this, we both had a brain malfunction.

The fact is I used up all the 10 retries.

Then I went to Orange service and they informed me that the baseboard is locked and cannot be reflashed, but instead it must be replaced and it costs $200.

Is that true? Perfectly working hardware has to be replaced because of a human error while inputting data in a field? No reflash possible, no reset? What kind of colossal paranoid made this design decision? Is it because of the carrier (Orange) or because of LG?

Please enlighten me, mobile gurus.