[How-To] Manual Rooting of LS670ZVH/ZVJ (+ links to root ZVD/ZV9)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH

You are definitely right. Thank you for recognizing the error.
I thought I did step #3 ok, but kinda skipped the "Install the VH recovery"

So I believe i did everything per the guide until "Install the VH recovery"

At this point, I loaded the update.zip onto the sd card and successfully transferred the files from zvhrec using install.bat.

This is where I get stuck....
C: \zvhrec>adb shell
$ su
su: permission denied

How do i gain permission?

On my phone, I have USB debugging ENABLED and Turn OFF USB storage.

Hope somebody can help. Thanks.
You are currently on ZVH. You need to go back to ZVD and root it first, before you can do Step #3. There are references in the beginning of the post on how to do that. Basically run the ZVD update.zip and use GingerSnap or GingerBreak to root it, then come back and do the ZVH rooting post again from step 1.

onetimejc

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site

You are currently on ZVH. You need to go back to ZVD and root it first, before you can do Step #3. There are references in the beginning of the post on how to do that. Basically run the ZVD update.zip and use GingerSnap or GingerBreak to root it, then come back and do the ZVH rooting post again from step 1.

Yes, I did follow the guide in the beginning about reverting down to to zvd then rooting with gingersnap (I would have used ginger break but the directions looked too complicated for me).

Currently, my phone settings look like this:

Kernel: 2.6.32.9
lge@android-build#2
Build # ZVD.41B2924E
SW Version: LS670ZVD

I used ginger snap root utility to before starting step 1. I can't get past step 3 because after entering "su" I get "permission denied"

Is there anything else I can do? Surely, there must be something I'm missing. I've been trying to root my phone now for 2 days.....shows that I'm such a newbie. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I used ginger snap root utility to before starting step 1. I can't get past step 3 because after entering "su" I get "permission denied"

Is there anything else I can do? Surely, there must be something I'm missing. I've been trying to root my phone now for 2 days.....shows that I'm such a newbie. Thanks for the help.
Before you type "su" turn your screen on and unlock the display. After you type "su" look for a prompt on the screen asking you for permission to allow su to attain root. I believe that is what is biting you. If it isn't that, then possibly GingerSnap didn't work even though it says it did. In that case, I would try the GingerBreak method.

Reactions: ryanl313

Donx510

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I will have to try this out! But just one Queston...I have a custom Xionia recovery rooted froyo. When I download and flash the VH update, will I be booted into the VH recovery or will it boot me into Xionia?

sydewayz soundz

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: I cant get my lg optimus s rooted please help

Thank you my friend. I am charging my phone and and will revert and retry in the morning. I will update you on how it turns out. Now real quick, which rooting method would you recommend for the froyo root?

sydewayz soundz

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

The reason you are not meeting success is because ZVH / 2.3.3 are not rootable.

Read the first post from the beginning. It will instruct you to downgrade to ZVD first, then root ZVD, then follow the rest of the instructions in this post.
Thank you my friend. I am charging my phone and and will revert and retry in the morning. I will update you on how it turns out. Now real quick, which rooting method would you recommend for the froyo root?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

GingerSnap is easier, but if something should go wrong is harder for someone to tell you what went wrong. GingerBreak is a little more work, but if something goes wrong, someone can tell you right away what to do. Personally I would use GingerBreak because I'm old school, but a lot of people go with GingerBreak because it is one click.

nonfictionsurf

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Aloha all,
I am new to this forum and I apologize if I should not be posting this in here but I need help! I cannot get past step 3! I sucessfully got through
c
cd \zvhrec
install.bat
adb shell
but when I try to su to continue the flash for zvh it says permission denied inside cmd. I dont know what I am doing wrong and I am a complete noob to all of this so again I apologize. I was able to root my phone before this stupid ZVH update but ended up going back to stock and now I want to root again and cannot find anywhere on the net that explains why I cannot get past permissions denied. Even if i tried to ignore that step and go to /system/bin/sh install-vh.sh it said operation not permitted? I have a LG Optimus S running android version 2.3.3 with SW version LS670ZVH. Please let me know if any other info you need and I thank all of you in advanced for your time!

edzo

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site

having trouble rooting the zvh...
after

c:
cd \zvhroot
install.bat

i reboot to recovery.
start adb shell

but only see $ no #
after typing

# cd /sdcard/000root
# /system/bin/sh install-root.sh

i get a bunch of unables and nothing....

maybe I missed a crucial step something simple?
thanks

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Aloha all,
I am new to this forum and I apologize if I should not be posting this in here but I need help! I cannot get past step 3! I sucessfully got through
c
cd \zvhrec
install.bat
adb shell
but when I try to su to continue the flash for zvh it says permission denied inside cmd. I dont know what I am doing wrong and I am a complete noob to all of this so again I apologize. I was able to root my phone before this stupid ZVH update but ended up going back to stock and now I want to root again and cannot find anywhere on the net that explains why I cannot get past permissions denied. Even if i tried to ignore that step and go to /system/bin/sh install-vh.sh it said operation not permitted? I have a LG Optimus S running android version 2.3.3 with SW version LS670ZVH. Please let me know if any other info you need and I thank all of you in advanced for your time!
The reason "su" gives you permission denied is either
1) you did not root your current version (ZVD?)
2) you did root your current version, but installed ZVH before following this thread (thus unrooting yourself)
3) you did root your current version, but this is the first time you are running "su" so you need to turn on your phone and get it off lock screen, then type "su" and look for a prompt on the phone asking you to give "su" root permissions.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

And what do I do about the reissued 'Gingerbread' update when it comes out? Do I have to unroot to accept the update and then start all over again? Oh boy! :p This is fun. I hope this was asked in the right place. Thanks
Yes, you need to go back to ZVD and root it, then run through these instructions. We won't know what the "reissued" Gingerbread update will look like until it comes out. Procedure could be same, different, or not available at all.

Reactions: Jean-Marie

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

having trouble rooting the zvh...
after

c:
cd \zvhroot
install.bat

i reboot to recovery.
start adb shell

but only see $ no #
after typing

# cd /sdcard/000root
# /system/bin/sh install-root.sh

i get a bunch of unables and nothing....

maybe I missed a crucial step something simple?
thanks
Either you did not perform Step #3 or did not perform it successfully (ie error occurred). The critical step to perform with no errors is "/system/bin/sh install-vh.sh"

The other possibility is the "reboot recovery" didn't work and you are booted into Android rather than Recovery. In that case, boot into recovery manually. It is covered in the instructions immediately preceding "adb reboot recovery" in Step #6.

noc6285

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

I am currently running ZVD, Reborn 2.2.1, with Xionia recovery. My first question would be if I could go to ZVH and gROM without using a computer, just terminal enumerator?

Edit: It seems that I could get through all the steps except for re-rooting after the zvh update, not positive though.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

You could get through all the steps except the step that gives you persistent root. That needs to be done through adb shell. Any computer will do. Just need the drivers. Everything else is included in the root package (for win). Drivers are in the reference section. Also it doesn't have to be PC, as long as there are drivers and adb that step will work.

edzo

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site

I am very happy with the root. I am running gROM now with xionia BUT my wifi tether does not work. any ideas?

irunwithmonkeys

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody have instructions or experience with rooting and installing custom ROM with the over the air gingerbread update that came out a month or so ago? My wife updated her phone and it's running worse than ever. I'd like to root it and install a custom ROM but am not having much luck finding instructions (if there's one available yet) for the 2.3 update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty