Upgrading From the Optimus: Which Device?

FitChicago

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi All:

I'm sure many of us have an upgrade becoming available in the coming weeks or months and I'm curious which Sprint Android device you are considering as a replacement for the Optimus S.

As I begin to research which device I'm going to get, I figured what better place to get great feedback than my fellow rooters & ROMers.

At this point I haven't given it much thought but the names Photon, Nexus, EVO (although 3D sounds so lame to me), and Galaxy S keep appearing in my cursory look at what is out there. I become eligible November 1 but don't want to jump the gun if the next greatest thing is coming to Sprint shortly after.

I really appreciate any thoughts you all might share.

Thanks!

cloroxx.l

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi All:

I'm sure many of us have an upgrade becoming available in the coming weeks or months and I'm curious which Sprint Android device you are considering as a replacement for the Optimus S.

As I begin to research which device I'm going to get, I figured what better place to get great feedback than my fellow rooters & ROMers.

At this point I haven't given it much thought but the names Photon, Nexus, EVO (although 3D sounds so lame to me), and Galaxy S keep appearing in my cursory look at what is out there. I become eligible November 1 but don't want to jump the gun if the next greatest thing is coming to Sprint shortly after.

I really appreciate any thoughts you all might share.

Thanks!
galaxy s 2 is clocked to 1600 mhz or 1.6 ghz :p sounds nice!

Reactions: FitChicago

reltm

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Have to admit the LG Marquee seems like a natural upgrade. I actually like that it's not a 4G phone (better battery life -- I never see 4G people using 4G, always keeping it off). I like the bigger screen and the thinness is very attractive (Epic screen seems too big, but I haven't held it).

Main question for me about the Marquee is whether the extra pixels on the screen bog down the processor much. Single core 1Ghz isn't bad, but 480 x 800 seems like a lot (in a good way!) compared to our Optimus. I thought phonearena.com said that both Optimus and Marquee have 512 MB RAM -- not sure if that is sufficient. I think this whole business about the 700 nits -- whatever a "nit" is -- screen brightness (compared to the iPhones mere 500 nits) is a garbage gimmick. I almost never have my Optimus on full brightness, and whenever I do it's sufficient. Give me smooth performance, a good camera, and great battery life and I'm sold.

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Nexus S 4G is something to consider. Runs just as well as all them dual core phones. It has pure android, no bloatware. You will definitely get ice cream sandwich, probably more based on how many updates the nexus one has gotten (its on Gingerbread before so many newer phones). Your initial price is much cheaper ($99). And Google Wallet just came out and is super fun (only on Nexus S 4G right now). I am sure the next nexus phone is coming out soon and will be on Sprint also, so maybe wait a little.

Hope I can help.

And if you don't get the Nexus S, get the Epic 4G Touch. That phone is sexy.

Sent from my A70S using Tapatalk

FitChicago

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Nexus S 4G is something to consider. Runs just as well as all them dual core phones. It has pure android, no bloatware.

Thanks grantheppes!!! The Nexus S 4G (free w/upgrade @ Best Buy this week) is one I read a few reviews of earlier today; it sounds great, but unfortunately it exposed me to the Nexus Prime which is rumored to be "the greatest device invented since the wheel" and is rumored to be eventually coming to Sprint (just like all those other Verizon, ATT, TMobile that were rumored to make their way to Sprint did...)... I must say the Nexus Prime sounds amazing for a thing in which little or no actual details have been leaked...

:p

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks grantheppes!!! The Nexus S 4G (free w/upgrade @ Best Buy this week) is one I read a few reviews of earlier today; it sounds great, but unfortunately it exposed me to the Nexus Prime which is rumored to be "the greatest device invented since the wheel" and is rumored to be eventually coming to Sprint (just like all those other Verizon, ATT, TMobile that were rumored to make their way to Sprint did...)... I must say the Nexus Prime sounds amazing for a thing in which little or no actual details have been leaked...

I will say this, the idea of buying a phone and hoping it will get the next version or two of Android isn't worth the worrying. Nexus phones get updates and get updates first. But yeah, I heard the nexus after the next nexus Is gonna be even better, so I'd wait a year till that comes out.

Sent from my A70S using Tapatalk

FitChicago

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
But yeah, I heard the nexus after the next nexus Is gonna be even better, so I'd wait a year till that comes out.

Thanks to our friends at Sprint ending the Premiere Gold program, after this upgrade it will be 22 months until the next so your timing for the even better device works out well. :D

I think you're right about the Nexus S and timely software upgrades, but when the Prime debuts Ice Cream Sandwich will the Nexus S be compatible to upgrade? And what if Google debuts "Sketchy Mister Softie Truck Driver" or whatever their next OS after Ice Cream Sandwich will be called....

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Actually after this upgrade it will be 20 months.

Also if you are Gold, there is short window, if you get your upgrade on or before 10/1, then your next upgrade will be between 11-12 months away, and then the one after that will be 20 months.

Nexus S wasn't a very popular phone on Sprint, but for free or $29, it is a very good bargain. People complained early on about reception problems but don't know if those were addressed.

With the $10 Premium data applying to all phones, you get no real advantage avoiding 4G phones. You can just leave it off if you don't want to use it for battery reasons.

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to our friends at Sprint ending the Premiere Gold program, after this upgrade it will be 22 months until the next so your timing for the even better device works out well. :D

I think you're right about the Nexus S and timely software upgrades, but when the Prime debuts Ice Cream Sandwich will the Nexus S be compatible to upgrade? And what if Google debuts "Sketchy Mister Softie Truck Driver" or whatever their next OS after Ice Cream Sandwich will be called....

Considering the Nexus One is on Gingerbread and that phone is really old, I'd say yes to the Nexus S getting further upgrades.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Actually after this upgrade it will be 20 months.

Also if you are Gold, there is short window, if you get your upgrade on or before 10/1, then your next upgrade will be between 11-12 months away, and then the one after that will be 20 months.

Nexus S wasn't a very popular phone on Sprint, but for free or $29, it is a very good bargain. People complained early on about reception problems but don't know if those were addressed.

With the $10 Premium data applying to all phones, you get no real advantage avoiding 4G phones. You can just leave it off if you don't want to use it for battery reasons.

The reception issues have been addressed and resolved.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
But yeah, I heard the nexus after the next nexus Is gonna be even better, so I'd wait a year till that comes out.

Isn't it amazing how we cling to Android as an alternative to the Apple release model, and we still find ourselves subject to the immediate one-upper tactic from a slew of manufacturers now?

After seeing how LG hosed us on Gingerbread, I will definitely consider the weight of manufacturer upgrade push in my next purchase. I have played with both the Photon and the 3D at my local corporate store. Both are nice, but I have to hand it to HTC for producing a solid piece of hardware. The 3D monicker is a bit distracting; it's a cool feature, even if somewhat of a gimmick, but the rest of the package is great without it. I would strip it of all the HTC-ware if I were to get it, though. The Photon just felt unsubstantial and awkwardly tall in my hand, which is not what I expected from Motorola.

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
For me, I think I get the last chance at a one year upgrade this fall before premier program ends. For the price, I think the Nexus-S will be my best deal. The new Epic 4G is HUGE with the 4.5" screen, almost a tablet :-$.

JoeDirte

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually trying the Optimus after carrying an EVO 4G for over a year. The size and bulk got to be too much. I'm liking the Optimus so far. Looking around I found the Samsung Transform Ultra is rumored to be coming to Sprint. It looks like a decent replacement if size and weight are a factor for you.

FitChicago

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually trying the Optimus after carrying an EVO 4G for over a year. The size and bulk got to be too much. I'm liking the Optimus so far. Looking around I found the Samsung Transform Ultra is rumored to be coming to Sprint. It looks like a decent replacement if size and weight are a factor for you.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the Optimus, it really is a great device-- where it lacks in some areas it makes up for in others, a lot of that is due to the incredible developers here who have unleashed the potential of the device. (And to think I almost went with the 2010 version of the Samsung Transform...)

One of the things that has peaked my interest in the quest for the right device is the recently announced partnership between HTC and Beats by Dre which thus far has produced the HTC Sensation XE. I'm the type who is constantly streaming music through my Android on the train, at the gym, out running; pretty much everywhere, so I'm curious to see if Sprint gets a device resulting from this partnership (nothing even in the rumor mill at this point). Personally amazing audio is more appealing to me than 3D will ever be...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38