Some phones just don't like the VC + custom recovery combo??

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Given that there's now multiple threads open about people having the LG Logo hanging issue, I'm starting to wonder if it's just the case that some phones don't take well to the VC baseband with a custom recovery for whatever reason. I just personally got through with a 4 hour ordeal trying to get my phone back after very carefully going through every step outlined in all the major posts here on how-to (was already running V9 with nROM 1.5.1):

1) return to stock and unroot
2) update from stock to v9 with the update.zip via LG recovery
3) update from v9 to VC via the LG software update utility
4) root the VC update
5) install custom recovery
6) install custom ROM

Well, 1-5 went off without a hitch... but right after the reboot from installing the custom recovery. Dead. Just stuck indefinitely at the LG Logo. Couldn't get into recovery (in this case xionia's CWM) and couldn't just boot up either. Just totally hung at the LG logo no matter what. Before installing the custom recovery, I could boot into the rooted VC just fine. Anyway, nothing worked to get it past the LG logo, but I then gave the instructions in "Un-Brick method for SOME forms of brick" thread a shot.

As many have already stated in that thread, it would complete successfully for me, but then after the reboot would just continue to hang at the LG log just like before. FINALLY I was able to flash back the V9 cab after about 5 tries... and from there I was relatively back in business. Still couldn't get into the custom recovery via the "Home+VolDown+Power" method (I'm starting to wonder if that's a larger issue with the CWM recovery overall, since that key combo works fine with the Thunderc recovery), but once I finally could get back into the adb console, "reboot recovery" finally worked and I was able to restore the nandroid backup.

For now I'm going to layoff trying to upgrade to VC again any time soon, as I don't have another 4 hours to waste every night. Just worrying that it seems that all the ROM development will require that in the future (though it looks as if nROM might stay "V9 compatible" at least for now), so I want to get it loaded sooner or later if possible.

The other downside is that it doesn't seem possible to update the PRL info if you aren't running VC (but have a ROM partially or fully based on VC files). I know that with nROM at the moment it's impossible to update the PRL, even though it's still compatible with the V9 baseband. Thunderom 1.7 states VC as a requirement outright :(

Oh well... at least I'm back up and running finally on nROM 1.5.1. Just thought I'd share.

cc0n01

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the problem is specific to the VC + custom recovery combo. I had the LG Logo hanging issue on my son's phone after applying the VC update using the LG Updater Tool. His phone is rooted but has no custom recovery.

When he had the LG Logo hanging issue, I pulled the battery a number of times and tried to restart without success. I unintentionally left the phone plugged in without the battery while I was searching for other things to try, when the LG Logo screen was replaced with an insert battery message. After this message appeared I inserted the battery and was able to start the phone without any problems. I haven't restarted the phone since so I don't know if the problem is resolved.

So as another thing to try when hanging on the LG Logo screen, try leaving the phone plugged in with the battery removed to get the phone to give you the insert battery message.

NicksOptimus

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
"Some" phones will not act differently than the others. No reason for them to. It's not like PCs where we can change hardware and run into compatibility issues. In cases of custome roms and recoveries, the user is always at fault for not following all the intended steps.

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
"Some" phones will not act differently than the others. No reason for them to. It's not like PCs where we can change hardware and run into compatibility issues. In cases of custome roms and recoveries, the user is always at fault for not following all the intended steps.

Yes, I realize that that has to be the real answer... but I'm just completely exasperated as to why something isn't working for a big number of forum members (myself included). I take a little bit of issue with "the user is always at fault for not following all the intended steps" because, I can tell you with 100% certainty, that all stickies related to upgrading from V9 to VC were followed to the letter... and I got stuck at the LG Logo. Others (saying they did the exact same thing) seem to have no problem. Some people are getting stuck at the LG Logo while others aren't... that seems to be the case.

Likewise, CWM recovery (which is fantastic otherwise) will NEVER, and I mean NEVER, launch on my phone if you try to use the physical key combo "Home+VolDown+Power". It hangs every time at the LG Logo and never goes into the recovery. I can enter recovery fine however if I do it via the "Reboot Recovery" option on the power menu (nROM 1.5.1) or via "adb reboot recovery". This seems somehow specific to my phone from what I can tell, because no one else seems to have this issue. If I load the Thunderc recovery instead, that works either way, 100% of the time.

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

That is certainly not the case as easily evidenced by overclocking. No reason to believe why there aren't variations in RAM, etc., too. And then of course, according to the previous logic, there would never be any DOA's, or Dead Shortly After Arrival and maybe they should all fail for the same cause after so many cycles of a particular activity. This is akin to remembering the old saying about remembering your M-16 was built by the lowest bidder, but guess that probably doesn't resonate with many here.

Last edited:

NicksOptimus

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
That is certainly not the case as easily evidenced by overclocking. No reason to believe why there aren't variations in RAM, etc., too. And then of course, according to the previous logic, there would never be any DOA's, or Dead Shortly After Arrival and maybe they should all fail for the same cause after so many cycles of a particular activity. This is akin to remembering the old saying about remembering your M-16 was built by the lowest bidder, but guess that probably doesn't resonate with many here.

Now we go into speculation mode. Yeah it's possible that the RAM or some other hardware inside may have been made by a different manufacturer and that could explain DOA, etc. But, if all the components are made to manufacturer specs then it should not matter.

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, it "shouldn't". Anecdotally though, I had an issue with the proximity sensor on my phone where it would totally flake out and become over sensitive at times, making it impossible for me to use the dial keypad during a phone call (like for prompts in phone menu systems). Also, the proximity sensor was remaining active when you set the phone to speakerphone (which from what I can tell, should deactivate it). Anything based on the V9 stuff (nROM 1.4.x, Thunderom 1.x-6.2, etc) exhibited this behavior. Posted questions about it several times on here and no one else was noticing it, was advised to swap at the Sprint store. For the hell of it, I loaded nROM 1.5.1 (still on V9) and it completely fixed the problem. The newer drivers included in the VC update (which nROM 1.5.1 is based on/using) seem to have cleared up all proximity sensor issues I was experiencing. I can verify that flashing back to a ROM based on V9 drivers manifests the problem once again. So, at least for this phone, there are some hardware differences that others never had, but which seem to have been real enough to be addressed by LG in the update. All phones are not equal sadly.

MaXXimus

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I think a lot of it also has to do with the hardware specifications having very open tolerances. So you may have a phone that "meets spec" but the proximity sensor barely met spec, so you get funky behavior in certain circumstances. Long story short, open tolerances lead to variable performance (especially when you start modding with non-manufacturer firmware, etc.).

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I think a lot of it also has to do with the hardware specifications having very open tolerances. So you may have a phone that "meets spec" but the proximity sensor barely met spec, so you get funky behavior in certain circumstances. Long story short, open tolerances lead to variable performance (especially when you start modding with non-manufacturer firmware, etc.).

Absolutely! Very large tolerances indeed, as well as sometimes different processes between different manufactures, that manifest themselves in various ways in terms of performance and failures. Not speculative at all, if you live in the real world. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this is what's happening here. It could be glitches in the downloads or the software, etc. But you can't rule out hardware factors. As an aside, have a close friend who works at Sprint, and they are apparently getting a number of phones returned as a result of the OTA VC upgrade.

Last edited:

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely! Very large tolerances indeed, as well as sometimes different processes between different manufactures, that manifest themselves in various ways in terms of performance and failures. Not speculative at all, if you live in the real world. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this is what's happening here. It could be glitches in the downloads or the software, etc. But you can't rule out hardware factors. As an aside, have a close friend who works at Sprint, and they are apparently getting a number of phones returned as a result of the OTA VC upgrade.

Haha, it is probably a lot of people messing around with trying to update over custom ROMs and rooting ;) Like us...

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
That too! Saw where you had success going to VC/TR1.7 via the "Chaos Method". May have to give that a try.

Haha, Chaos Method! Actually it works correctly, I just broke one of my own rules...FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS!! I didn't hold those buttons down hard enough or long enough to get my custom recovery. You would not believe how relieved I was. In fact, I think my sighs of relief caused major wind-gusts and a storm-system brewing in the Southern part of the United States :p

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Haha, Chaos Method! Actually it works correctly, I just broke one of my own rules...FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS!! I didn't hold those buttons down hard enough or long enough to get my custom recovery. You would not believe how relieved I was. In fact, I think my sighs of relief caused major wind-gusts and a storm-system brewing in the Southern part of the United States :p

Have you powered your phone down and up since all of this? Not just reboot, but full power down/up.

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Have you powered your phone down and up since all of this? Not just reboot, but full power down/up.

Yep, did a complete power off. Left it off a couple minutes, then powered it back up and it is good to go!

I also used the Chaos method. Followed directions to a tee. When I tried to restore my Nandroid that I made of ThundeRom 1.6.2 V9 after LG Updater was finished, as the instructions stated, I got stuck at the LG logo. Pulled battery, held Home, Down, Power into recovery (Thunderc) and flashed ThundeRom 1.7 and all has been great ever since.

Also, I did just try a FULL power down, left it off for a bit, and turned it on. Booted just fine.

Who knows why these things happen. Just happy to have VC with Root without having to go back to stock rom and recovery and reroot.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Slightly OT but kinda creepy...we just had a major storm system blow through here (Nashville TN area) with wind gusts and a couple of tornadoes...whoa...

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Edit: nevermind I see you got it to work. Perhaps it is worth mentioning in the stickies that yes, VC does require you to hold the button combo until the LG logo reappears. I don't think V9 required you to hold it as long.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Edit: nevermind I see you got it to work. Perhaps it is worth mentioning in the stickies that yes, VC does require you to hold the button combo until the LG logo reappears. I don't think V9 required you to hold it as long.

I believe you are right zefie...that is what happened to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa