[How-to] Revert to LS670V9, after installing OTA LS670VC/VD, using KP500 (Diag mode)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It was suggested I move this post into its own thread so questions could be consolidated. Also there was occasional confusion over the difference between running KP500 from the Unbrick thread and what is described in this post. This post configures KP500 to flash in Diag mode which is the normal way to flash a phone that is working. In particular it is how the LG Mobile Support Tool flashes your phone to VC/VD. KP500 in the Unbrick thread flashes in Emergency mode and is most useful when your phone is no longer responding (bricked).

For archive purposes, this post (and associated q&a) was previously on this thread:
Previous revert to V9 using KP500 post

====

Thanks go out to cordell, DCJoe, kingdavidbaker for suggesting this method and working through the procedures, KSmithInNY for comments making this more readable and of course zefie for his unroot procedure and archive of the firmware cabs.

WARNING: If you received a refurbished LS670 from Sprint as a replacement, you might run into troubles trying to use the LG Mobile Support Tool to update to VC/VD. See this post for details on how to tell if you are affected by this problem. You can still revert to V9 and root. However if your refurbished unit is affected by this problem you will NOT be able to upgrade to the VC/VD using the LG Mobile Support Tool. You will need to force flash VC/VD using KP500. Instructions for how to do force flash VC/VD are in the reference section of this post.

WARNING #2: If you recently received a LS670 from Sprint which came with VC/VD from the factory, then there is a possibility you have a newer hardware revision with different LCD hardware. Since only VC/VD have the drivers for this new LCD hardware, if you revert to V9, your display will be blank. The phone is still functional (as in it boots into android and you can still operate the phone, just with no visual feedback). Don't worry, worse case, just use KP500 to flash back to VC/VD and you'll be back to normal. However if you've come this far, you might as well get root by performing the critical function of manually installing a custom recovery (or the stock V9 recovery) even without the display being functional, after which you can upgrade to a VC/VD-based ROM and get your display back. You can also install Android Screencast to view your screen on your PC. See this post for more details (will be updated as more information becomes available).

High level summary
1) Install the LG Mobile Support Tool and USB Drivers [LG Mobile Support Tool] [LG LS670 USB Drivers]
- the KP500 tool referenced below uses this to write the firmware to your phone
2) Force flash the V9 firmware using the KP500 tool (see below)
3) Root your phone, install Xionia CWMA custom recovery, and update to LS670ZVD. Directions here (Part 2, skip the first step).
If you are an advanced user, you can skip some steps and do the alternate procedure in the reference section.

Details for how to Force Flash V9 using KP500 - (ie summary step #2)
(BACKUP your app data first if you care about it)
(the following assumes you already installed USB drivers for your phone to get adb working)
a) make sure you have at least 600MB free on the drive containing your windows installation, specifically the drive that contains Documents and Settings (or ProgramData on Vista)
b) disable standby, hibernate, and any screensavers
c) make sure your phone is fully charged
d) turn on USB debugging mode on your phone
menu->settings->applications->development->USB debugging
e) download the KP500 tool zip file and unzip to your C: drive (attached, windows utility, tested in WinXP, Vista, Win7(XP-compatible mode/disable signed drivers option #1, disable signed drivers option #2))
You should have a folder
C:\KP500-Utils-EN-v0.4.2
f) download the V9 cab file from zefie's archive below (LS670ZV9_20.S9_20.P60671.cab) and place in same folder/directory as (e)

g) open a windows command prompt
start menu->run
cmd.exe
h) from command prompt rename LS670ZV9_20.S9_20.P60671.cab as LS670ZV9.cab
c:
cd \KP500-Utils-EN-v0.4.2
ren LS670ZV9_20.S9_20.P60671.cab LS670ZV9.cab
dir
The output of the above "dir" command should look like this:
(make sure you have at least these 5 files, one file is named LS670ZV9.cab and the file size is 99,220,700)
(if your directory does not look like this, STOP here, figure out why)
C:\KP500-Utils-EN-v0.4.2>dir
Volume in drive C is
Volume Serial Number is

Directory of C:\KP500-Utils-EN-v0.4.2

02/18/2011 12:48 PM <DIR> .
02/18/2011 12:48 PM <DIR> ..
11/14/2008 01:56 PM 155,648 Inf_WebDnld.dll
08/18/2009 03:49 PM 424,960 KP500-Utils-EN.exe
08/03/2009 01:15 PM 86,016 LGMobileDL.dll
08/03/2009 01:15 PM 450,560 LGMUpgradeDL.dll
02/11/2011 02:10 PM 99,220,700 LS670ZV9.cab
5 File(s) 100,337,884 bytes
i) OPTIONAL: run a checksum on the V9 cab file to verify file integrity (checksum tool link) Unzip the fsum.zip archive and place fsum.exe in the same folder/directory as (e) From your command prompt type
c:
fsum *.cab
expected checksum - make sure both the checksum (1st column) and filename (2nd column) match
54d830c33567fccbb550f879a2ede136 *LS670ZV9.cab

j) connect your phone using USB cable

k) from your command prompt, run the KP500 program/executable
c:
KP500-Utils-EN.exe
l) choose option J - Flash with assistant (file .cab)
m) when it asks for model # - LS670
n) when it asks for cab file - LS670ZV9.cab
(double check you entered the correct cab filename, cut/paste if you need to)
o) when it asks for version - LS670ZV9_20

p) you will see "Loading..." and it should bring up the LG Mobile Support Tool in a separate window
Step 1 - Analysis
if you see this error, then you didn't install the LG Mobile Support Tool
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LGMOBILEAX\image\header_bg.gif was not found

if the LG tool gets stuck at 35% checking the phone model, make sure you are booted into Android and not the Recovery partition.

if the LG tool asks you to restart because it can't connect to the phone ("checking connection with phone") unplug/plugin the phone, then press restart and everything should work fine. (per recent reports #1 #2)

if the LG tool won't recognize your phone no matter what you try, try reinstalling the USB drivers from the LG tool (per recent report)

Step 2 - Download
if the tool aborts and you see this error near the end of the log
ExtractInfo Error(0)
Extract cab file error.
then you may have renamed the cab file incorrectly, placed it in the wrong folder/directory, or typed the wrong filename in step (n) see if this post or this post applies.

q) Step 3 - Update
After the download step (which in reality is just unpacking the cab file we specified, not actually downloading), your phone screen should switch to a red LG Logo with the text "Download is in progress. Do not disconnect cable."

Let it run, do not touch your phone until complete, it'll take around 15 minutes

r) when the update/flash portion is ALMOST complete the phone will reboot and you'll see Android on your screen, this possibly could behave like a first boot, meaning it'll take a while to build everything from scratch, 3 minutes or less. You'll eventually see the Android startup home screen. This may trick you into thinking the flash is done. Don't be tricked. Regardless of whether the LG Mobile Support Tool is at 100% or not, do not touch the phone yet, it still needs to reload your NVRAM items onto the phone. Do NOT touch the phone until it says Completed

s) Step 4 - Complete
once the LG Mobile Support Tool says completed, you should be at the standard android startup screen, congrats, you now have V9 (possibly with a VC or VD recovery partition, which will become Xiona CWMA custom recovery as part of the LS670ZVD rooting process) If you have no intentions of running VC/VD OS/Radio, then you can stop here and stick with V9. z4root.apk will give you one-click root. However if you ever want to get root with the VC/VD OS/Radio, you should continue with the next steps.

Note: If LG Mobile Support Tools says "completed" but you are stuck on the startup screen that says *Android* for more than 10 minutes, perform this:
Factory reset from stock recovery

t) exit the LG Mobile Support Tool and KP500 (option Q)

u) You MUST have this step (install CWMA or stock V9 recovery) completed if you want to preserve your ability to root. You will NOT have permanent root at the end of this step (because you will lose root when you upgrade to VD). You WILL, however, be set up to have success following the rooting thread instructions. If you don't care about root and just want to run stock V9, you can skip this step completely.

Root your phone, install Xionia CWMA custom recovery, and use LG Mobile Support Tool to install LS670ZVD. Directions here (Part 2, skip the first step). Installing Xionia CWMA custom recovery (or stock V9 recovery, or any custom recovery) will preserve your ability to root after updating to LS670ZVD. Installing LS670ZVD using the LG Mobile Support Tool will get you the latest stock VD Android and VD radio/baseband while keeping your existing CWMA custom recovery. After that you can choose to stick with stock VD Android or update to your favorite VC or VD-based ROM. If you are a more advanced user who doesn't need specific instructions, you can save some steps by jumping to step 2 of the alternate method in the reference section below.

v) re-enable standby, hibernation, and/or screensavers if you need to

Reference:
zefie's archive of v7,v8,v9,vC,vD cab files for Optimus S:
Index of /zefie/files/cell/LGLS670/roms/LGNPST Recovery/cab - Mystic Midnight Files

How-to Unroot thread:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...45403-how-unroot-your-phone-return-stock.html

LG Ally instructions which inspired this solution here:
How-To: Flash Stock LG Rom on LG Ally

Stock V9 Recovery image
http://files.mysticmidnight.net/zefie/files/cell/LGLS670/roms/V9_LG_Stock_Recovery.zip

LG Mobile Support Tool
LG Mobile Support Tool Application Download

File checksum tool
SlavaSoft FSUM - Fast File Integrity Checker

How to root V9 Optimus S thread
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/43108-how-root-lg-optimus-s.html

How to root VC Optimus S thread
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...-guide-rooting-software-version-ls670zvc.html

How to root VD Optimus S thread
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...-guide-rooting-software-version-ls670zvd.html

V8->V9 update.zip
update.zip

Get rid of update notification
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...c-vd-using-kp500-diag-mode-17.html#post770088

z4root one-click root that works with V9 Optimus S (won't work with VC Optimus S)
[APP] z4root - xda-developers

Factory reset from within Stock Recovery
Instructions

Flash Image tool
Android Forums

Substitute these steps to Force Flash VD
f) download VD cab (LS670ZVD_12.SD_12.P60675.cab) (Alternate download)
h) ren LS670ZVD_12.SD_12.P60675.cab LS670ZVD.cab
i) expected checksum - 6bd5faf21acb951abb7e2c6e8ce39e7d *LS670ZVD.cab
n) cab file - LS670ZVD.cab
o) version - LS670ZVD_12

Substitute these steps to Force Flash VC
f) download VC cab (LS670ZVC_11.SC_11.P60674.cab) (Alternate download)
h) ren LS670ZVC_11.SC_11.P60674.cab LS670ZVC.cab
i) expected checksum - 579bfcf1dc2309dd71580d246c954d7f *LS670ZVC.cab
n) cab file - LS670ZVC.cab
o) version - LS670ZVC_11

Substitute these steps to Force Flash V8
f) download V8 cab (LS670ZV8_23.S8_23.P60671.cab)
h) ren LS670ZV8_23.S8_23.P60671.cab LS670ZV8.cab
i) expected checksum - cb646c7152cd8e1cdbb2d462534fe89a *LS670ZV8.cab
n) cab file - LS670ZV8.cab
o) version - LS670ZV8_23

Manually flashing Zefie's CWMA Recovery image (requires root)
Zefie's Xionia CWMA Custom Recovery thread

Manually flashing stock V9 Recovery image (requires root)
UNZIP flash_image and stock V9 recovery.img to /sdcard
If this is the first time running "su", you need to have your phone not on the lock screen and acknowledge the prompt asking for root privileges.
$ su
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /system /system
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
# reboot

Alternate REVERT procedure for *advanced users* (these instructions are written at a summary level so you need to know some basic terminology/techniques):
1) Force Flash V9 using the KP500 tool
2) Root using the rageagainstthecage exploit or z4root
3) Manually flash Zefie's Xionia CWMA custom recovery image (see this thread)
4) After installing Xionia CWMA you should be in CWMA Custom Recovery, choose "reboot system now" to get back into Android
5) Use the LG Mobile Support Tool to update to VD
6) From CWMA recovery, wipe cache, dalvik
7) Install your favorite VC/VD-based custom ROM

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/63632-qpst-settings-optimus-v.html hey i have a question is there a cab to go back to virgin mobile that you know of i need to revert back to that cab.
I cannot guarantee it will work but if you enter your MEID on the LG website:

http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/auth_model_check2.jsp?esn=A000002XXXXXXX

(replace esn in the link with your meid)

It may give you a link to an update cab file for your virgin phone.

I haven't personally tested it. It could brick your phone. It could get your phone back to where you want it. It might come back with nothing. Couldn't tell you for sure.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
im not sure i been there i havent seen anything there all i can find is usb drivers lol point less if i find a cab ill see what i can do and then post how to do it lol since well i was forced to get a sprint rom since my phone was toast
You can't have "been there"

The link I provided isn't a website that gives you a page to view. It is an internal query done by the LG Software Updater to see if there is new software available for your phone.

goochbuntu

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
sorry for the edit i realized you where pointing me somewhere else thank you though if i figure out the way to recover vm phones ill post it in a new thread but i do thank you for the time you took

SuperECS

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
thank you so much for this guide. helped me out. i finally got the balls to try it, and did it flawlessly. now i just need the lg updater to realize i can update my damn phone. lol

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If the reason you are having troubles getting LG Software Updater to recognize your phone is because of the RED section of the first post, then there is a section in the reference section that tells you how to force flash VC using KP500 (instead of using the LG Software Updater directly)

Make sure you have installed the V9 recovery partition prior to installing VC or root will not work once you install VC.

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Unable to root after reverting

I have followed the directions on returning to V9, yet I am unable to root the phone to complete the steps to get back to V8, then V9. I can't load a custom recovery, then ROM/Nandroid backup if I can't root, right?

EDIT: z4root was able to root it. Weird.

Last edited:

dudesnamehere

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I am having trouble getting this to work on my windows 7 machine, my gf installed the ota update now im stuck trying to fix out for her.

The kp500 seems to act a little funny, it couldn't find header image and then crashes after the phone is restarted. also I could not install the lg pc sync software do I need that or is the software updater enough?

I would appreciate any help you could provide.

Also I have set kp500 and the software updater for windows xp compatibility mode

Reactions: djpink

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have followed the directions on returning to V9, yet I am unable to root the phone to complete the steps to get back to V8, then V9. I can't load a custom recovery, then ROM/Nandroid backup if I can't root, right?

EDIT: z4root was able to root it. Weird.
V9 sometimes takes multiple attemps (sometimes 20-30 attempts) before rageagainstthecage hits gold. z4root is much quicker.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The kp500 seems to act a little funny, it couldn't find header image and then crashes after the phone is restarted. also I could not install the lg pc sync software do I need that or is the software updater enough?

I would appreciate any help you could provide.

Also I have set kp500 and the software updater for windows xp compatibility mode
Could you post the log?

The software is checking to make sure PC Sync is *not* installed otherwise it could interfere with flashing. It is expected behavior for it to not find the PC Sync software.

I helped a person earlier who was having problems with KP500 and LG Software Updater under win7. They went back and slowly redid everything with XP Compatibility mode on and it worked for them. I see you've already done this. Just puting it out there, you should be able to get it working eventually because that other person did.

arabdog31

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
i cant figure this damn thing out? as soon as lg s/w update pops up it keep telling me that the phone is not connected and to hit restart. all driver are installed and phone is in usb debugging whats going on?

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
i cant figure this damn thing out? as soon as lg s/w update pops up it keep telling me that the phone is not connected and to hit restart. all driver are installed and phone is in usb debugging whats going on?

Just hit Restart and it will do it's thing. Mine does that every single time (so did thekid's). I don't know what causes the message but it's a bloody liar.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, interesting, mine doesn't complain. Care to make a suggestion how I could clarify the directions?

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, interesting, mine doesn't complain. Care to make a suggestion how I could clarify the directions?

Mine used to not complain at all. My most recent attempt with it on my own computer failed miserably. First the lg_logo.gif or whatever couldn't be found (which was fine, just looked a little strange), then right after extracting the CAB file the LG tool just crashed. Gave no error message just crashed outright. Re-installed Windows, re-installed the LG tool and all was right with the world.

I would say just warn people that if the LG tool asks you to restart because it can't connect to the phone, just press restart and everything will work fine.

dafluke24

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

I just did this method to go back from VC to V9. I got the message too. For me, it was the LG updater tool. When I closed the updater tool, it's still running in the background (check the system tray at the bottom right of the desktop). Once I closed that out and hit restart it worked. Maybe the LG tool was keeping the phone connected when it need to be disconnected for KP500 to connect to.

Anyways, i'm back on V9 on my replacement phone. Great write up. Too bad I'm receiving another replacement tomorrow from Sprint due to a bad touchscreen on this one lol I just wanted to try this to see if I could do it successfully in case this other replacement came with VC.

Alvis

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
thank you so much everything worked perfectly smooth. btw i got my phone on the 27th and ota'd then i did this when i got home so yah it works

dudesnamehere

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Could you post the log?

The software is checking to make sure PC Sync is *not* installed otherwise it could interfere with flashing. It is expected behavior for it to not find the PC Sync software.

I helped a person earlier who was having problems with KP500 and LG Software Updater under win7. They went back and slowly redid everything with XP Compatibility mode on and it worked for them. I see you've already done this. Just puting it out there, you should be able to get it working eventually because that other person did.

Thanks for the quick reply, I will post the log as soon as I get home.

Do you know what I have to do to run KP500 and the Lg software in compatibility mode? I just checked the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" box and selected Windows XP Service Pack 3 in the compatibility tab on the properties window.

Reactions: CullenWebb

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Do you know what I have to do to run KP500 and the Lg software in compatibility mode? I just checked the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" box and selected Windows XP Service Pack 3 in the compatibility tab on the properties window.
Sorry, I don't use win7. What you said sounds about right, but I couldn't tell you for sure. Perhaps someone who has done this on win7 could chime in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2