[How-to] Revert to LS670V9, after installing OTA LS670VC/VD, using KP500 (Diag mode)

dudesnamehere

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I don't use win7. What you said sounds about right, but I couldn't tell you for sure. Perhaps someone who has done this on win7 could chime in.

here is the log, the program just seems to crash and Windows detects the crash and gives an application stopped working prompt.

00:36:14 : [C:\LGMobileUpgrade] ???丮 ???? ?õ?
00:36:14 : RemoveDirectory1 Error(2):C:\LGMobileUpgrade
00:36:14 : Start Date : 2011-02-28 00:36:14
00:36:14 : -------- Buyer Test mode ---------
00:36:14 : [C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone] ???丮 ???? ?õ?
00:36:14 : RemoveDirectory1 Error(2):C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone
00:36:14 : *****CheckOS Start********
00:36:14 : Microsoft_Windows_XP_Professional_
00:36:14 : *****CheckPCSyncPrograms Start*****
00:36:15 : PCSyncPrograms Not Found
00:36:15 : SetEmerModeAT()
00:36:15 : _IsConnectedPhone Call
00:36:15 : _IsConnectedPhone(0)
00:36:15 : 0 - NotConnected.
00:36:15 : 1 - Normal connect success
00:36:15 : 2 - Emergency connect success
00:37:01 : Checking the connection with the cell phone...
00:37:01 : dwWaitResetTime(40000 ms)
00:37:02 : _IsConnectedPhone Call
00:37:08 : _IsConnectedPhone(1)
00:37:08 : 0 - NotConnected.
00:37:08 : 1 - Normal connect success
00:37:08 : 2 - Emergency connect success
00:37:08 : Phone Mode(1)
00:37:08 : *****GetPhoneType Start*****
00:37:10 : Phone Type : CDMA
00:37:10 : *****Start GetPreviousStep*****
00:37:10 : _GetPreviousStep(dwStep:0xffff)
00:37:10 : _SetPhoneNumber retval=1
00:37:10 : *****GetPhoneModel Start*****
00:37:13 : Phone Model : LG-LS670
00:37:13 : *****GetPhoneBinaryVersion Start*****
00:37:13 : Phone Bin Version : LS670ZVC_11
00:37:13 : *****Get ESN / IMEI / MEID Start*****
00:37:16 : ESN/IMEI/MEID : A0000028903373
00:37:16 : *****GetPhoneNumber Start*****
00:37:18 : Phone Number : A0000028903373
00:37:18 : ???? ?˻? ?Ķ??Ÿ - ESN_IMEI : A0000028903373, Model : LG-LS670
00:37:18 : *******CheckBinVersion***************
00:37:18 : New Bin Version(LS670ZV9_20), Current Ver(LS670ZVC_11)
00:37:18 : ?ֽ? ?????̹Ƿ? ???׷??̵带 ?? ?ʿ䰡 ????.
00:37:21 : _GetAuthMark : wAuthMark(28025)
00:37:21 : Wait 3Sec
00:37:26 : _SetAuthMark Ok : wAuthMark(28025), PhoneMode(1)
00:37:26 : *****Start _GetBatteryLevel*****
00:37:29 : Battery(5)
00:37:30 : ResetPhone...
00:37:30 : Checking the connection with the cell phone...
00:37:30 : dwWaitResetTime(40000 ms)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Except for the crash, it looks like everything was moving along. It was clearly able to communicate with your phone to retrieve current status.

I don't know what is wrong with the crash in win7. I'd try rebooting and running it again (make sure your phone is in a good state before disconnecting)

Reactions: dudesnamehere

jason0777

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
when entering "ren LS670ZV9_20.S9_20.P60671.cab LS670ZV9.cab" the system file can not be found any suggestions to what i may have done wrong? Sorta new to this but have been reading alot! Did not have any troubles getting the "cd KP500-Utils-EN-v0.4.2" command to work.

jason0777

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
when entering "ren LS670ZV9_20.S9_20.P60671.cab LS670ZV9.cab" the system file can not be found any suggestions to what i may have done wrong? Sorta new to this but have been reading alot! all steps up to this point have seemed to work correctly

Reactions: grpracing

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
When you downloaded the cab file, step (f), did you place it in the C:\KP500-Utils-EN-v0.4.2 directory?

dudesnamehere

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
sfhub thanks for your help and the initial post.

I added windows XP compatibility to the LG software installer executable and re-installed. At first I just installed normally and added windows XP compatibility to the program launcher. I should have guessed that sooner.

Now time to upgrade to VC. Thanks again

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Need Help immediately :(

I did everything properly and it even said completed, the phone went 5 minutes with nothing and it just has a blank screen. whats wrong here? No reboot, no android screen?
Just get the LG and a blank screen

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
By completed i mean i ran the phone update tool and it said completed and i clicked on quit at the end. Then the phone never showed the android logo, after 5 minutes I tried rebooting manually and nothing, pulled the battery and it shows the LG logo but then a blank black screen. What did I do wrong? How do I make it install the android software and boot back up? Am I bricked?

*Edit* I just ran the update again by itself and update back to vc.. grr gonna try one more time to get to v9 but i dunno whats wrong with this stupid phone.

2ND EDIT ** If the screens goes black again after using the updater tool and does not show me "android" or boot what do I need to do to get V9 working loading?

3rd EDIT* Ok so something is wrong with this phone, Its brand new, I actually got V9 onto it but the screen does not light up completely. It reboots after the update with the lg tool. I can actually feel the phone vibrate and unlock when i swipe my finger on it but there is just no image displaying, its all black. Has anyone had this problem before? If i get to this part is it possible to follow some steps to get root and install custom roms? Any Help would be greatly appreciated. I've rooted Other phones but this one is by far the most difficult because its not responding to what everyone has in these guides.

Last edited:

gub23

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok so something is wrong with this phone, Its brand new, I actually got V9 onto it but the screen does not light up completely. It reboots after the update with the lg tool. I can actually feel the phone vibrate and unlock when i swipe my finger on it but there is just no image displaying, its all black. Has anyone had this problem before?

I am having the same problem. I easily rooted my first 2 Optimus phones that came with V9, but this third one is only a week old, and came with VC installed.

Here is what I did:
1) Followed the directions on this thread to downgrade to V9 with the LG Updater. After it rebooted, I got the LG logo, then the scren went blank. I heard the Sprint animation sound, then finally the USB connection sound.

2) I decided to proceed with the root process. All the steps went fine, but at the time I didn't know how to install SuperUser if I couldn't see the screen to go to the Market Place, so I skipped that step.

3) I proceeded with an attempt to install a Custom Recovery, ThundeRC. That procedure worked fine, until I rebooted to recovery mode. At this point I got the LG logo, then a blank screen and nothing else.

4) I pulled and replaced the battery, and it booted to "normal" mode with a blank screen. Then I used the LG Updater directly to revert back to VC. After that, it rebooted fine, the screen worked, and the phone operated normally.

5) I attempted to use the LG Updater to again downgrade to V9, but I quickly got an error message (can't recall what it was at this time).

6) If I currently attempt to boot into recovery mode, I get the LG logo, then a blank screen and nothing else. At this point, if I press the menu button, the phone reboots and operates normally.

It seems that at both the normal mode and recovery mode the "blank screen" means that it is not displaying anything, but the phone appears to be operating normally. A button-press backlights both the buttons and the screen, but it remains blank.

By my count, I am the third forum member to report this type of issue. One of these memebers has also reported the blank screen during the attempt to enter recovery mode.

As I said, this phone was new from Sprint, and came with VC pre-installed. I wonder if this problem has anything to do with new VC phones, vs. V9 phones that were upgraded to VC via the OTA method.

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I easily rooted my first 2 Optimus phones that came with V9, but this third one is only a week old, and came with VC installed.

I feel more like not a noob since someone else go tthis issue also. So what step are you at now? I too received an error when trying to run the updater again from a blank screen, however I did it a second time after unplugging the phone and it worked.
I never tried loading a custom recovery but my guess is that if you did, just reload the stock recovery through ADB and you should be able to use the updater again.

I really wanted to help a friend out and root the phone and get a rom installed but this LG version business is killing the fun. lol

My epic 4g is much easier to handle. :)

ANyone else have advice on how I can get a custom Installed on this phone?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
3rd EDIT* Ok so something is wrong with this phone, Its brand new, I actually got V9 onto it but the screen does not light up completely. It reboots after the update with the lg tool. I can actually feel the phone vibrate and unlock when i swipe my finger on it but there is just no image displaying, its all black. Has anyone had this problem before? If i get to this part is it possible to follow some steps to get root and install custom roms? Any Help would be greatly appreciated. I've rooted Other phones but this one is by far the most difficult because its note responding to what everyone has in these guides.
This is a theory as to what is happening.

I recall in the release notes for VC there was something about a new LCD driver.

LG apparently switched LCD hardware at some point and only VC/VD-based ROMs have the driver and/or initialization routines for the new LCD.

The phones that are now shipping with VC/VD likely have that new LCD hardware. Perhaps there are some of each LCD type and it is just the luck of the draw.

That is most likely reason you are getting a blank screen with an otherwise functional phone when downgrading to V9. The good news is the main reason you needed to downgrade to V9 is to install a custom stock V9 recovery, after which you can go back to your VC/VD-base ROM.

Perhaps you could do a logcat and see if there are any display related errors.

Here is the post regarding the new LCD drivers in VC:
Sprint Community: 2/7 - LG Optimus S Maintenance Release...
LG Optimus S (LS670) Maintenance Release - LS670ZVC

Enhancements/Fixes:
- SD card detection error
- New drivers for LCD supplier
- Removing first time language selection from the start up wizard

====

Here is the outline of a solution. It is a work in progress. It has not been completely tested.

Sorry, I don't have a unit with the new LCD driver to test these instructions. Someone should go through them and add comments which I'll integrate.

1) phone came with VC/VD from Sprint and has the new LCD hardware

2) revert to V9 using KP500 force flash in diag mode

3) after flash, LG Software Updater tool will reboot the phone. Screen will now be blank after LG logo, but both android and recovery partition boot and operate normally, just no visual feedback due to blank screen for Android (recovery would still display ok, if you stopped here for some reason). Though it isn't required at this point, if you really feel uncomfortable, install Android Screencast and you can view your phone's display on your PC.

4) you should be booted into Android at this point (screen is blank, which is expected)

5) Place the following files in your ADB tools directory then ADB push them to /sdcard/
- UNZIP flash_image and **UNRAR** Zefie's Xionia CWMA custom recovery xionia_cwma_12518.4.rar
- Do NOT install CWMA v5 or you will have the blank screen problem in recovery. Stick with v4, it works fine.
- Update - CWMA v6 fixes the blank LCD problem.
adb push flash_image /sdcard/
adb push xionia_cwma_12518.4.img /sdcard/

6) You have three choices

a) rageagainstthecage exploit to get root (instructions here - do NOT perform the last two steps "exit, exit")
rage may require multiple runs to give you root. It depends on a race condition that doesn't always hit gold. Just keep trying until it works. You might need to throw in a reboot of the PC and phone in between runs. Proceed to step (7)

b) install android screencast, which will display your devices framebuffer even if your LCD is blank (thanks Drew for figuring that out), and use z4root. After permanent root in z4root, start adb shell and type
If this is the first time running "su", you need to have your phone not on the lock screen and acknowledge the prompt asking for root privileges.
$ su
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system

c) use SuperOneClick to gain root, start adb shell and type
If this is the first time running "su", you need to have your phone not on the lock screen and acknowledge the prompt asking for root privileges.
$ su
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system

7) backup stock factory recovery
# cat /dev/mtd/mtd2 > /sdcard/recovery-stockfactory.img

8) flash Zefie's Xionia CWMA custom recovery
# busybox cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/
# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /system /system
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/xionia_cwma_12518.4.img
# reboot

9) use LG Mobile Support Tool to flash VD

10) you should be booted into VD Android at this point. Your screen should be working again. You have stock VD Android with Xionia CWMA custom recovery (which should work with your newer LCD hardware according to this post)

11) you can now continue using the stock VD android or flash to any VC/VD-based custom ROM. Most custom ROMs will give you root automatically.

12) if you just want root with the stock ROM follow Part 7 of this thread
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...-guide-rooting-software-version-ls670zvd.html

Last edited:

jason0777

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
ok got my KP500 tool zip and LS670ZV9_20.S9_20.P60671.cab in correct spot but when i run dir i do not get 5 files this is what i get

03/03/2011 08:19 pm <DIR> .
03/03/2011 08:19 pm <DIR> ..
03/03/2011 08:15 pm <DIR> KP500-Utils-EN-v0.4.2
03/03/2011 08:19 pm 99,220,700 LS670ZV9.cab
1 File(s) 99,220,700 bytes
3 Dir(s) 376,413,720,576 bytes free

Any ideas what i may have done wrong? Thanks again

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ok got my KP500 tool zip and LS670ZV9_20.S9_20.P60671.cab in correct spot but when i run dir i do not get 5 files this is what i get

03/03/2011 08:19 pm <DIR> .
03/03/2011 08:19 pm <DIR> ..
03/03/2011 08:15 pm <DIR> KP500-Utils-EN-v0.4.2
03/03/2011 08:19 pm 99,220,700 LS670ZV9.cab
1 File(s) 99,220,700 bytes
3 Dir(s) 376,413,720,576 bytes free

Any ideas what i may have done wrong? Thanks again
I think you placed the KP500-Utils-EN-v0.4.2 directory within another KP500-Utils-EN-v0.4.2 directory.

You basically have C:\KP500-Utils-EN-v0.4.2\KP500-Utils-EN-v0.4.2

gub23

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps you could do a logcat and see if there are any display related errors.

I think you have a good theory here with the LCD driver update, but how do we go about proving it? I would be willing to help debug this since I am one of the few that appear to have a suspect phone.

My plan is to downgrade to V9 again, then get a logcat. I'll try it out this weekend.

Last edited:

blake52

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
how to prevent the update

Hi, I just successfully rooted my new Optimus S (Credo Mobile), but it is harassing me about updates, which I can tell from this thread I really don't want to happen.
How can I prevent the updates?

Also, where can I find a glossary of phone "hacker" terms so I can learn the language and may ask fewer silly questions.
Thanks
Blake

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You are right to be cautious. Depends what the updates are though. This is mainly a Sprint Optimus S forum so that is where most people here are coming from.

There is a thread to deal with the nagging updates. It probably isn't completely applicable to your phone but you might get some insight.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...-hacks/59576-stopping-ota-update-prompts.html

Many people on Optimus S choose to side-load the update using LG Software Updater, which preserves their ability to root.

Others install a modification to their build properties to trick the system into thinking there is nothing to update.

You can also rename otacerts.zip and the update verification check will fail.

I recall there are ways to accept the update and cancel before it starts with the net effect that the system stops bugging you.

I don't know of any glossary though it would be nice to have one for new users.

Reactions: blake52

blake52

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
It is more or less Sprint; Credo uses their network and there is a fair amount of sprintware on the phone. Thanks for the link.

mercrapper

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
22) need to see which if any custom recoveries work with new LCD

Clockwork 3.0.0.6 works. It can be downloaded here
Flash the ClockworkMod Recovery - ROMRepo

EDIT : Use the Home button to select instead of the Menu button

EDIT 1 : Spoke too soon. I can see the recovery, but can't seem to reboot back into android. The LG logo comes up, then another LG logo (like it doesn't fine the boot image), then right back to CWM recovery.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Clockwork 3.0.0.6 works. It can be downloaded here
Flash the ClockworkMod Recovery - ROMRepo

EDIT : Use the Home button to select instead of the Menu button
So I'm working a little bit blind with this problem since I don't have a model that has the new LCD hardware.

You are saying one should download the ClockworkMod Recovery listed for Optimus V and use it on Optimus S, correct? The only change being use the Home button instead of the Menu button.

Also does ClockworkMod work with ##786# reset from the dialer and/or Privacy->Reset? Be careful with these as they have been known to cause reboot loops with some Recoveries.

mercrapper

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
So I'm working a little bit blind with this problem since I don't have a model that has the new LCD hardware.

You are saying one should download the ClockworkMod Recovery listed for Optimus V and use it on Optimus S, correct? The only change being use the Home button instead of the Menu button.

Also does ClockworkMod work with ##786# reset from the dialer and/or Privacy->Reset? Be careful with these as they have been known to cause reboot loops with some Recoveries.

See my edited post above. I was able to get the recovery image pushed, and the display works, but I can't seem to boot back to android. No boot loops, it just doesn't boot into android at all. I'm trying to use the LGMobile Support tool to put ZVC back on and see if that helps. If not, I will have to try to flash the stock recovery (if I can find it).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_glow