Upgrade in October or wait until 2013?

WayneRooney

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
My Optimus S has served me adequately, big upgrade over my Samsung Instinct. My biggest problem is that after putting off the gingerbread update for ages, I finally allowed the update and my GPS has been rendered unusable ever since. The touchscreen would probably be my next complaint as web browsing and texting can be an irritating experience at times. Other than that the phone does most everything I need it to.

In my limited research, I think upgrading to something like the Viper or Optimus Elite, would be kinda pointless. Even when looking at the big dogs like the EvO and Galaxy, I feel a little underwhelmed. Can they really do much that my Optimus can't do? A big turn off is the size of those things. I would like a phone closer to the size of the Optimus S.

Might it be worth it to tough it out and wait on the upgrade until early 2013? I don't know what to expect from the next 12 months of phones. I'm near Green Bay WI, 3g atm and it seems to get slower every day. I'd appreciate peoples thoughts on whether to upgrade or wait a while.

nazzo

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
If you don't want to stick with Sprint, get a world phone (specifically the Galaxy Nexus sold in the Google Play Store online) and sign up for a pre-paid GSM service like Straight Talk. You'll save money in the long run and have much greater flexibility over what phones you can use.
Personally I'm frustrated at the small screen size of the Optimus S and its poor web performance.

glitchsta

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
But do any pre-paid cards such as straight talk or boost let you have unlimited data like sprint? I dont want speeds to drop after 2gig.

cusinndzl

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
My contract is ending soon too and I plan to upgrade as soon as the next Nexus phone comes to Sprint which will happen either later this year or in early 2013.

the_mastermind

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, I can upgrade in November. Not sure if i am though since im interested whats coming in 2013. I figure i could wait a little longer to see whats on the horizon.

I'm pretty sure all the newer phones make the optimus look like crap. Just look at the specs alone, ICS etc its much better (other than custom roms etc if you want to root)

I narrowed it down to the EVO 4G LTE & Galaxy nexus. I seen both in person, and i do agree with you on the size, but i think im leaning more towards the EVO. it just feels like a soild phone, a bit smaller, although the galaxy screen is super nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699