[How-To] Wireless Tether for VD

maestro

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry i just realized the answers to my questions were found on all the posts...i just read through all of them - a good 15 minutes of reading haha but sounds great, i will try out this widget for the time being until i have a chance to root my phone. Keep up the good work !

disposed#AC

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if its mentioned but the free app widgetsoid works too. When making the widget under networks just add the wifi hotspot one and you are good to go.

bonita9166

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
sprint smartview

Does anyone know what this is? I had a message on my laptop to download this and it sounds to me like something that allows me to use my cell phone as a mobile hotspot- but since it is from Sprint I don't want to be charged if I use my laptop via mobile wifi.
I did add the free wireless tethering app. already and it worked (thanks!)

Droid Warrior

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much. I followed the instructions successfully on a non rooted phone. Was able to use it immediately. I only need/use it for my Nook Color ereader. I get full bars of connection. 5 Stars.

jasong#AC

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I signed up just to say thank you. This is my 2nd day with the LG Op-S and I LOVE it.

This is just the cherry on top. Silly question, but besides NOT downloading files while using the hot spot any other suggestions to avoid any red flags with our 5G limitations? I don't plan on using this other than when I'm in my car or at a location that does not offer Wi-Fi but I just want to be sure I'm not abusing it either.

In2pro

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Warning - This exploit is GUARANTEED to be patched in an OTA update pushed down from Sprint/LG in the near future. If you enjoy this mod, i highly suggest you do not accept or apply that update.

This does not require root and works on rooted and non-rooted phones alike.

go the market and get the free application "Hotspot Widget" by Harald Muller. Any hotspot widget should work but we'll use Haralds in this example. After it downloads do the following:

1) long press a blank spot on your screen and select add a widget.
2) press Hotspot Widget
5) Now click your new widget

Does the top of your screen look like this?
snap20101108_124220.png

Signed up also to say thanks and that it works on my LG Optimus S, Froyo, non rooted.

Darth Krayt

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok so i just found all this but got a question. I have a dinosaur of a computer. no wireless card.... but I have bluetooth usb adapter ... is it possible to connect to internet on my PC if my phone and PC are connected? I've tried but haven't figured it out as of yet... thanks!

bullman2410

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I just want to personally thank KSmithInNY for all his hard work on these threads. Can't tell you how many times the wireless hotspot has come very handy. Thanks again!

droidfool

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I installed HotSpot Toggle. That seems to alow the HotSpot to be turned on and I can edit the settings (set up SSID (androidnet), protection and key) however when I try to log in with my laptop , I am not seeing the network androidnet.
What am I doing wrong?
My current Android version is 2.2.1, Kernel Version 2.6.32.9.
Also, how do I set my phone to not update automatically?

Thanks...

steindog99

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I themed the widget so it matched the GB theme I have on my phone. Here is a screen shot. If there is interest I can post the themed apk...

RookieMIB

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks. Just picked up an Op-S today and was skimming around with it. Needless to say, I'm using the phone for a phone, msging, and occasional web surfing so I didn't feel like paying the $30.00 'tax' for hot-spotting. Considering it's a brand spanking new phone (and even though I'm fluent in linux) I wasn't really keen on rooting the device.

This exploit worked perfectly on a new non-rooted phone. Currently (just for testing) posting through the hotspot connection. Thumbs up guys.

debh945

May 15, 2010
www.scrappincop.com
Dumb question: Is data I use on my phone equal to data used while tethering all things being equal? In other words, if I use my optimus for two hours a day for Tapatalk is that the same as using my Gtab tethered to my optimus for two hours a day for Tapatalk? It's just so much easier to read on the 10 inch screen! :D

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB-v1.0.0B5.1 using Tapatalk

maestro

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Confirmed

Hi all, I am not sure that anyone has actually confirmed, but I received my phone bill yesterday and did NOT receive any "$30" charge for the hotspot service. I will also point out that I've only been using this hotspot app for when I am in my car or waiting for my wife while she is shopping etc. I am not using it as my sole internet provider. This is a great app, just use it wisely - in my opinion. If anyone else can confirm that they are not being charged for using the hotspot on their phone bill, that would be comforting to others as well!

cognus

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Just lurking along here trying to learn while I wait on my optimus T.
this 'S' thread has a few more adherents than the sibling :D

steindog99

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
For some reason, I can't get internet access when using Hotspot Widget. I can connect, just no internet access. I normally use Wireless Tether for Root Users, but it would be nice to have this working as a backup. Any ideas?

ROM: ThundeRom 1.6.2 Deluxe
Kernel: beezy#1

Laptop: Windows 7 x64

BobbyJenks

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my dad's phone before I remembered this sticky, nothing more than rooting. Now his phone's Sprint Data will not work. I had the tether on for maybe 5 mins. I've left the battery out for 5 mins and still won't load the App Store. It loads on my Optimus, not his.

heckufaguy

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
For some reason, I can't get internet access when using Hotspot Widget. I can connect, just no internet access. I normally use Wireless Tether for Root Users, but it would be nice to have this working as a backup. Any ideas?

ROM: ThundeRom 1.6.2 Deluxe
Kernel: beezy#1

Laptop: Windows 7 x64

I've noticed it can take a minute to two for you to get internet access once you connect to the hotspot.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty