[How-To] Wireless Tether for VD

subzero800

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Using the method described in the top of this thread (wireless hotspot widget) I can enable and change wireless hotspot settings. I'm having a problem though: After enabling my hotspot, it only functions for a few minutes(~5). I checked my running applications using "Taskiller free" and saw that no new apps engaged from the time that I had enabled the hotspot to the time that the hotspot failed. A couple times, I initiated a download to see how far I could get before it shut off -- I got about 5 MB each time before it shut off but I'm not sure if that makes it shut off any faster. The only available device I have at the moment is an Acer laptop with an Intel B/G 3945 Wireless adapter. I know it wasn't a windows issue because I've tested it in both XP and Ubuntu 10.10. It could be an issue with the wireless card in this laptop but I doubt it -- my laptop has worked fine on every other wireless access point/router. I tried both available modes (wpa or open (no encryption)) and it craps out regardless.

Anyone have any ideas?

optimus s

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
NEWBIE Question LG Optimus s Hotspot

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and new to android world! just got my optimus a week ago and can not complain cause i am a begginer but i have one quick question about tethering. HOT SPOT FEATURES

I have downloaded the hotspot widget from the droid market and tried it and it really works great, tried to connect my laptop and works terrific.

is this going to be free? using a hotspot widget from droid market? i know sprint charge 30 buck/month for hotspot if they enable that features. i have unlimited data plan so if use that 3rd party app will it be free of charge with no additional charge on my monthly plan? helop anybody!! i need to know cause i dont wanna pay extra 30/month for hotspot..

thanks
O

optimus s

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Theoretically, any data across any network can have the packets captured and sniffed (yes, I work in IT ;) ) but Sprint is not in the habit of doing this. I did this on my Q, my Q9c, my mogul, my curve, my treo pro, my pre, my hero, my evo, and now my optimus.

Anyone that has concerns should just pay the monthly fee. WT should only be used in small amounts anyway. People that use it grossly, some have posted pictures of their bill with 30 gigs in a single month, those people are begging for trouble. If you're using a minimal amount (read, under 5 gigs) your completely fine.

how much is 5gb?? i mean i used my phone internet everyday for about 5-6 hrs a day and 5 days a week will that reach up to 5 gb? mostly you tube and video streaming.. thanks

gooberlx

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
will sprint find out about using the hotspot features using the 3rd party app? thanks

Well, they might become suspicious if you're using an inordinate amount of data on your plan with"un-phone-like" services...i.e. Torrents.

Eventually they'll probably patch the "hole" with LG anyway.

weenerdog3443

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
so with this you dont have to pay the 30 bucks a month to sprint for tethering? That was one of the reasons why I got the phone and then they were like o its 30 dollars amonth so I was like no thank you. Anyone try xbox live with it yet?

realmeister

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
There are no guarantees, but my mantra is to not be stupid, use it wisely (ie not as my sole internet connection surfing all day long), and you should never have a problem.

overthatscreen

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Works fine on my Rooted Stock Rom. But when I switch to an overclocked Kernel with Jit Enabled, I end up with a 500ms plus Ping with no download speed and an upload speed of about 700kbps on my Ipod Touch. Anyone else running into this problem?

I am just running a stock rom with the thunderom OC kernel.

maestro

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi Ksmith I just signed up and the site contains so much useful information for android phones; anyhow, i just wanted to comment on this last past - I, like Infinity, just want to root my phone to use my phone as a wireless hotspot. Would you recommend i root the phone or just download the widget w/o root? And is there a risk (besides doing OTA) that Sprint would charge me for using wireless tethering, i mean could they find out that I 'activated' it? thanks for your help.