Turn off camera sound

ironkhalid

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
How do I turn off the shutter sound? Every time I take a pic, it makes a shutter sound, how do I turn that off?

Posted via the Android Central App

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
If you are in the US all phones now must make a sound when a camera shot is taken (google is your friend)
So you can turn down volume before you snap
Or there's a APK that is supposed to work you can sideload

ironkhalid

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Since when was this!?
My htc one m8, I was able to disable the shutter sound. I don't remember it ever making a sound when I took pics except first couple times, then I decided to turn it off.
The shutter sound is so loud, very aggravating.

Posted via the Android Central App

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this passed but MFG maybe putting this in for compliance

H.R. 414, better known as the Camera Phone Predator Alert Act. Here's the text of the proposed legislation:

A BILL

To require mobile phones containing digital cameras to make a sound when a photograph is taken.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the ‘Camera Phone Predator Alert Act’.

SEC. 2. FINDING.
Congress finds that children and adolescents have been exploited by photographs taken in dressing rooms and public places with the use of a camera phone.

SEC. 3. AUDIBLE SOUND STANDARD.
(a) Requirement- Beginning 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, any mobile phone containing a digital camera that is manufactured for sale in the United States shall sound a tone or other sound audible within a reasonable radius of the phone whenever a photograph is taken with the camera in such phone. A mobile phone manufactured after such date shall not be equipped with a means of disabling or silencing such tone or sound.

(b) Enforcement by Consumer Product Safety Commission- The requirement in subsection (a) shall be treated as a consumer product safety standard promulgated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission under section 7 of the Consumer Product Safety Act (15 U.S.C. 2056). A violation of subsection (a) shall be enforced by the Commission under section 19 of such Act (15 U.S.C. 2068).

Last edited:

Michael Mantion

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
It was introduced to the house, never read, never considered, never went to a vote and certainly never became law.

I think the idea is laughable as a video doesn't make any noise so one could make a video and no one would know it. Also it would only annoy the masses that think a shutter sound is stupid, while those that might use the camera for illegal acts would just buy a no non compliant camera on ebay or modify one to muffle the sound. heck most people doing illegal things use covert cameras and again videos, not smart phones or point and shoot cameras.

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
It was introduced to the house, never read, never considered, never went to a vote and certainly never became law.

I think the idea is laughable as a video doesn't make any noise so one could make a video and no one would know it. Also it would only annoy the masses that think a shutter sound is stupid, while those that might use the camera for illegal acts would just buy a no non compliant camera on ebay or modify one to muffle the sound. heck most people doing illegal things use covert cameras and again videos, not smart phones or point and shoot cameras.
Doesn't mean the phone makers didn't see it and implement just in case it did pass. It would save them the time and hassle of an update later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45