Second screen is kinda gimmicky\useless

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
First off this is just an opinion thread. Not attacking the phone it actually has a lot of pluses and I like it.

After that new phone feeling went away did anyone else find the second screen useless or close to it. I configured it the best I could to get the most of it but I still find it easier to have a folder on the main screen to access my applications and I rarely use the contacts because I always forget. I do like the ability to turn the flash light on when the screen is off.

Maybe more features will make me want to use it more but now I don't even notice it. I also have the moto 360 so it eliminates the need to look at it for the time. I also do not like that it replaces the notification light.

xboxonthego3

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Understanding that it is your opinion. I actually love it for my contacts! Well at least for my immediate family. Also like that when someone calls I can simply swipe the second screen to answer if i'm doing something else with my phone. I can definitely see it being gimmicky if someone has a smart watch as you do. Because the smart watch has a lot of the same functionality as the second screen. I watched a video of one of the guys that worked on designing the phone the second screen was partially inspired by smart watches.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Understanding that it is your opinion. I actually love it for my contacts! Well at least for my immediate family. Also like that when someone calls I can simply swipe the second screen to answer if i'm doing something else with my phone. I can definitely see it being gimmicky if someone has a smart watch as you do. Because the smart watch has a lot of the same functionality as the second screen. I watched a video of one of the guys that worked on designing the phone the second screen was partially inspired by smart watches.

I felt a little silly putting that disclaimer up but I know some people would get offended. Thanks for the reply

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

Oh yeah good call on the incoming calls. I like that too

MelCali82

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Woah. Somebody ban this guy. Dissing my beloved second screen?!

Hey. At least you can turn it off permanently.

Besides using it as a notification screen when display is off, i use it mainly as a task switcher to switch between recent apps. Way faster than flipping through the card view with the multitask button

MelCali82

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site

You have a link to that video?

And yeah. Having a smart watch would def make the second screen not as useful for most people

xboxonthego3

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Makes sense! People go crazy sometimes when someone's opinion doesn't match their own. A forum is for discussion. For all sides. I hope you enjoy your phone! And to add more for discussion. I also hope they add more features and customizability to the second screen. Particularly when the main screen is off. I can play and skip tracks when the main screen is off and that's probably my favorite thing. But I wish it wouldn't default back to the notifications. I would like the media controls to stay present until a notification appears then go back to media controls.

xboxonthego3

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
You have a link to that video?

And yeah. Having a smart watch would def make the second screen not as useful for most people

Still looking for the video. I believe it was at their announcement or launch event. It was easy to find before.... Will Update if I find it.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
First off this is just an opinion thread. Not attacking the phone it actually has a lot of pluses and I like it.

After that new phone feeling went away did anyone else find the second screen useless or close to it. I configured it the best I could to get the most of it but I still find it easier to have a folder on the main screen to access my applications and I rarely use the contacts because I always forget. I do like the ability to turn the flash light on when the screen is off.

Maybe more features will make me want to use it more but now I don't even notice it. I also have the moto 360 so it eliminates the need to look at it for the time. I also do not like that it replaces the notification light.

I'm 100% with you. Not that I won't find it useful, but it's such an oddball thing that there's no muscle memory driving me toward it. And the less I think about and use it, the less I think about and use it.

If someone could find a way to put a notification dot on it, multicolored and blinking and visible from across the room, I would set that up in a heartbeat.

One reason I'm not bothered by the lack of a notification light is because my previous phone, Nokia Lumia 635, didn't have one. So I'm just used to not having notifications. I've turned all notification sounds off; in effect, I've neutered the phone's having any active effect on interrupting my life. I'm in control of when I look at it; it doesn't yap at me just because something happened. So to that degree, I'm happy that LG did away with notification light. I guess I'm also happy that they chose to do something else in exchange.

I think the idea of a "second screen" is cool. Let's not lose sight of that concept. If this implementation isn't the right one, let's figure out what is.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Woah. Somebody ban this guy. Dissing my beloved second screen?!

Hey. At least you can turn it off permanently.

Besides using it as a notification screen when display is off, i use it mainly as a task switcher to switch between recent apps. Way faster than flipping through the card view with the multitask button

see, I had forgotten about that functionality. You're right--but it's such an oddball way of doing things, it's a matter of training myself to do it. And I haven't done that.

And I might not ever train myself to do that. It's just easier to do what's "normal", plus I don't want to get tied to that screen and then have the whole concept go away completely on the next phone. Maybe LG is the only one who does this, and maybe this will be the only phone ever in the world to have a second screen.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree it is a bit gimmicky , but I have gotten quite used to it. I especially like the notification aspect. Some Nokia Windows phones had a feature called Glance that was the same principle, just on the regular screen. I missed that.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I thought it was gimmicky when it was first announced. But after a few days I find it super useful, and I am sure it is only a matter of time before other brands start to copy it

Posted via the Android Central App

losyur

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
I didn't have V10 yet, because it will come in the end of this year to Europe!
However, I'm really eager to try this second screen out.
If it doesn't take much of the battery lifetime, I agree with Mike-Mike that other brands will copy it!