LTE dropping when making or receiving phone calls.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I got a V10 on T-mobile. I've noticed the last few days that when a phone call comes in or if I make a call my phone drops to hspa only and loses LTE. I am in a strong LTE signal area, and I checked my settings. I'm set to lte auto network mode (the default) and VoLTE is enabled. I thought it might be a network issue but my wife has the same phone on same network. Hers stays on LTE for calls. Only mine is doing this. Any ideas?

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
VoLTE only works when the other party supports it as well I believe. The call will say HD when it's being used. For me, I only have it running when I call my wife as she has a note 5.

AlwaysSmile

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
VoLTE only works when the other party supports it as well I believe. The call will say HD when it's being used. For me, I only have it running when I call my wife as she has a note 5.

Wrong! VoLTE doesn't matter if the other party supports it or not, but ever since the latest update I have the same issue, dropping LTE when talking on the phone, it will take awhile till it actually connects when placing a call so I tried changing SIM cards but no luck, so I keep it disabled!

Posted via the Android Central App on my LG V10

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Study: VoLTE Sounds Great, If You Can Get It | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Unfortunately, you're unlikely to hear a true VoLTE call soon, because they only work between two VoLTE phones that have both opted in on the same carrier. (That's why we don't test it, as we typically test call quality against land lines so we have a stable benchmark.) VoLTE isn't activated by default even on most phones that support it, and it is, right now, totally not interoperable. If a call needs to be handed to another carrier or a land line, it drops to the lowest common denominator of quality.

That deeply damages the VoLTE experience, and the HD calling experience in general. Verizon and AT&T will only deliver HD voice calling between two VoLTE phones, on the same network, with VoLTE turned on. Right now that's not that many phones. At least T-Mobile and Sprint have some form of HD voice quality to fall back on. But although all four carriers now support HD voice calling to some extent, you can't make an HD voice call between them.

That has been my general knowledge of it. I'm sure some of it has changed but I believe this is still true. This is how my phone behaves. Only when I call my wife on her Note 5 with T-Mo. My son has a Moto G that doesn't have VoLTE and I can call him right after my wife and the call is not VoLTE.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, this is odd as I've never had this occur to me and I'm on T-Mobile as well. VoLTE works fine and I don't get any dropped calls unless the other line has very poor reception, not to mention I can still use LTE to browse websites and so forth while in a call.

I guess if the issue persists, try disabling VoLTE though that's not taking into account reception in your relative area.

Posted via an LG V10

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I tested calls by calling my wife's phone. She's got the same model phone on same network. So it should be VoLTE and HD obviously. No dice. But, I think I solved the issue. I went into call settings and disabled VoLTE. I did this before and it had no effect. This time I did it and let it sit disabled for a few minutes. Then enabled it back. Now I'm making calls over LTE like id expect it to. Not sure why I had to do this. I've never messed with those settings as the defaults were exactly how I'd want them set up.

I should mention, before I solved this I tested my calls by going into an area not far from me that's only served by band 12 LTE. No HSPA signal there. I wanted to see if it'll make calls on LTE if it had no other choice. It wouldn't make any call. I would dial and it would say connecting for 4 to 5 seconds and then drop before ever hearing any dialing tones. Thankfully it's working now. But like I said, not sure why it kicked into that mode in the first place.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
OK. Never mind. Problem has returned and the trick I used before no longer works. I know it's not a reception or tower issue as my wife has same phone on same network. Hers works fine. Anyone got any ideas?

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I tried rebooting and pulling battery. Didn't work. But, when I removed and reinserted my Sim card I got it working again. But after a little bit it stopped. Could this be Sim card issue? I'm not familiar with sim card related issues as I've never had any. Would this fit the bill? Seems like a awfully specific problem.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting near that step. I'd like to do some more troubleshooting first. I don't like to go to tech support until I've tried everything I can, then report that to them. Normally makes the process go faster

AlwaysSmile

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting near that step. I'd like to do some more troubleshooting first. I don't like to go to tech support until I've tried everything I can, then report that to them. Normally makes the process go faster

As I said before, I was with T-Mobile a hour or so busy about and they couldn't figure out the issue I also changed SIM cards to a new SIM card it worked for a few hours till it started again the same issue! Next step if I call them back they will send me out a new V10 as a replacement which I'm not in the mood of doing as of now

Posted via the Android Central App on my LG V10

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
After removing my Sim completely, cleaning it and reinserted it so far is working fine. I got another sim unused for my 4th free line I can try as further troubleshooting. Simply turning off VoLTE isn't an option for me. I got family who lives in areas where band 12 LTE is the only signal available. Disabling VoLTE means I lose phone call ability there.

And I'm with you, t-mobile will probably just want to replace my phone with a refurb. Not willing to go down the refurb path just yet. I paid for a NEW phone. I'd like to hold onto it if possible...

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Simply turning off VoLTE isn't an option for me. I got family who lives in areas where band 12 LTE is the only signal available. Disabling VoLTE means I lose phone call ability there.

That seems really odd that T-Mo would only have LTE in a given area. There must be GSM as well cause my phone always falls back on GSM when LTE isn't strong enough. Have you tried disabling VoLTE?

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I've tried. No calls there. My family lives in an area that, before band 12, had no t-mobile coverage whatsoever. Even the band 12 coverage is weak but usable. While my phone refuses to call over lte, calls don't work there. I had the issue reoccur today. Did same thing, pulled battery and reinserted sim card. Started working fine again. I'm thinking it's a sim card issue.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to drag up an old thread. But I got an update. I swapped my sim card out and had issues still. Well, I decided to perform a reset again, but made sure settings restore was disabled. Its been about 2 weeks. Issues have not come back. Looking back as to why it happened at all. I DO remember going into the hidden settings menu before. Didn't do much, and I figured everthing there was temporary only. Was it possible I borked something there? Not sure. But try doing a reset without a settings or app restore. Worked for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress