Fingerprint sensor

Jax112

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
It seems my fingerprint sensor has stopped working. I have reset the phone and added my fingerprint numerous times but it still will not recognize me. I have tried multiple fingers with no luck. Any ideas?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Dumb questions, I know, but:

Are your hands dry and/or free of any kind of oily residue when using the fingerprint sensor?

When you said you reset the phone, do you mean you rebooted it or did a factory reset? If you have everything backed up and have not yet tried a factory reset, I recommend that course of action.

Is your fingerprint sensor area clean and/or dry?

Jax112

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Dumb questions, I know, but:

Are your hands dry and/or free of any kind of oily residue when using the fingerprint sensor?

When you said you reset the phone, do you mean you rebooted it or did a factory reset? If you have everything backed up and have not yet tried a factory reset, I recommend that course of action.

Is your fingerprint sensor area clean and/or dry?

Fingers clean and dry. This has been going one for some weeks. I first thought it was my hands after working outside with bricks. Taking the ridges down where the sensor couldn't read them. That's been several weeks ago.
And I'm trying to avoid factory reset. I did notice that right after working with the bricks and I tried to re enter my fingerprint it kept saying sensor dirty. Which it wasn't. Now it's taking my fingerprint without problem when I enter them. However ten minutes later it will not recognize them

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Fingers clean and dry. This has been going one for some weeks. I first thought it was my hands after working outside with bricks. Taking the ridges down where the sensor couldn't read them. That's been several weeks ago.
And I'm trying to avoid factory reset. I did notice that right after working with the bricks and I tried to re enter my fingerprint it kept saying sensor dirty. Which it wasn't. Now it's taking my fingerprint without problem when I enter them. However ten minutes later it will not recognize them
I've read on other forums that some people are having the same issues, where FPS isn't working or saying it's dirty. I guess someone called either their carrier or lg themselves and they played it off as a "software issue" and that there will be a update to fix it but I'm not sure because 1) it's hearsay and 2)i don't fully trust these companies and their claims for why something isn't working.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for answering my questions! I'm sorry that this has been an ongoing problem for you. You've had this phone several weeks - is it still within its warranty period?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've read on other forums that some people are having the same issues, where FPS isn't working or saying it's dirty. I guess someone called either their carrier or lg themselves and they played it off as a "software issue" and that there will be a update to fix it but I'm not sure because 1) it's hearsay and 2)i don't fully trust these companies and their claims for why something isn't working.

If it was a software issue it would be happening on more phones with the exception of a phone with corrupted update which would normally be corrected with a Factory reset. If the FPS is not working it is either hardware or user error. One of the things to look out for is during cold weather your fingertips sometimes harden up and aren't read correctly by the sensor.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
If it was a software issue it would be happening on more phones with the exception of a phone with corrupted update which would normally be corrected with a Factory reset. If the FPS is not working it is either hardware or user error. One of the things to look out for is during cold weather your fingertips sometimes harden up and aren't read correctly by the sensor.
As I said, hearsay and I don't exactly trust what they say. I believe it's more of a hardware problem and that the company does want to replace the devices so they're coming up with a line of BS

Jax112

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I contacted Verizon and explained my problem and after 2 hours of chatting they are sending me a new unit. Since I've only had it since November

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That's great if it's new but be careful sometimes they send out a certified like new replacement. Not necessarily a bad thing but it is different.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It seems my fingerprint sensor has stopped working. I have reset the phone and added my fingerprint numerous times but it still will not recognize me. I have tried multiple fingers with no luck. Any ideas?

Are you getting any kind of message when you reenter your prints? Or is it just accepting your prints and then not working? Sounds like the latter. I would call the provider since the device is still under warranty. You should be issued a new device. I don't know if a fix is possible, but there have been enough problems noted to warrant action.

Jax112

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Are you getting any kind of message when you reenter your prints? Or is it just accepting your prints and then not working? Sounds like the latter. I would call the provider since the device is still under warranty. You should be issued a new device. I don't know if a fix is possible, but there have been enough problems noted to warrant action.

Initially it said sensor dirty so I stopped for a week or so. Tried again yesterday and it just took my prints with no problem just didn't work

Jax112

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
That's great if it's new but be careful sometimes they send out a certified like new replacement. Not necessarily a bad thing but it is different.

I'm gonna make sure it's to my liking before I take possession of it totally and send my other back

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm gonna make sure it's to my liking before I take possession of it totally and send my other back
Definitely should. I used to never have issues with warranty replacements, though they were most likely refurbs but then I got the Galaxy s6. Got one day of release, had it for a while the boom, purple does in front facing photos, got replacement, had that for a bit, then boom some other crap happened, so had to get it replaced as well. Never really had issues with my Note 5 after that or the note 7, we'll other that 2 freakin recalls! Samsung will have to do a lot to win me back, and I mean a freakin lot!

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
One thing I saw mentioned on a review was that there is a protective plastic cover on the fps and once removed, the sensor works nearly 100% of the time. I'm just asking, did you remove that protective cover. If not, the fps will feel quite slick like a screen protector. If removed, there is a tiny bit of texture like matte paint.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Well I contacted Verizon and explained my problem and after 2 hours of chatting they are sending me a new unit. Since I've only had it since November

Thats great news. The next question i would have asked was have you spilt any liquid on the device. Sometimes liquid gets in-between sensors and it won't pick up your finger. After that, i would have asked. did you take the plastic off. Sometimes people forget to take the plastic rapping off. My mom had a phone for 2 years and only then realised that there was plastic veering the camera lens. Ah that was a great day.

The LG v20 is so so nice to look at. I know the '2nd screen' is sometimes called a gimmick but i love it now haha. :D

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Thats great news. The next question i would have asked was have you spilt any liquid on the device. Sometimes liquid gets in-between sensors and it won't pick up your finger. After that, i would have asked. did you take the plastic off. Sometimes people forget to take the plastic rapping off. My mom had a phone for 2 years and only then realised that there was plastic veering the camera lens. Ah that was a great day.

The LG v20 is so so nice to look at. I know the '2nd screen' is sometimes called a gimmick but i love it now haha. :D
I feel like the second screen is a gimmick. That being said gimmicks can be useful. It all depends on the way you see and use it.