Any known bootloop issues?

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
It's an epidemic with V10, massive reports all over, including my own V10 failing to the dreaded infinite bootloop.

Is the motherboard in V20 different from V10 in that it's not susceptible to bootloop? The rest of the phone is fine.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
From me browsing this section I haven't seen much complaints. I do recall one or two users having some issues and have to get a replacement (just a lemon) but I haven't heard of the rampant loops yet like the G4 / V10.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Remember, the V10 bootloop epidemic didn't occur initially, it hit heavy last fall and escalated from there. I got hit in January. So most phones were about a year old at that point. I find that weird, one would think if it's gonna fail, it will fail initially.

Most V20 phones aren't that old yet.

Has the motherboard been upgraded or is it the same thing as V10?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
If you are worried about the V20 bootlooping and the V10's initial bootloop issues started after a year of use, you could always wait a few months to see if anyone reports such issues. But I feel like LG would have wanted to not have the bootloop issue happen again with the V20, so maybe buying it now or soon after would still be alright. But any phone could encounter software or hardware kafuffles - it's a leap of faith in any case, so to speak! Good luck!

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I plan to buy a V20 this summer. I hope that by that time, given it has been out since the fall of 2016, it should be clear if it has bootloop issues.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The LG G5 had no actual reports of bootloop and it's been a year. I am highly confident that they fixed that issue with the G5 and V20. The phone runs much cooler and charges more efficiently. I think there won't be any issues down the road. I have an little LG Optimus Fuel that I use everyday for music streaming. It's been 2 years, no bootloop issues with that phone.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The LG G5 had no actual reports of bootloop and it's been a year. I am highly confident that they fixed that issue with the G5 and V20. The phone runs much cooler and charges more efficiently. I think there won't be any issues down the road. I have an little LG Optimus Fuel that I use everyday for music streaming. It's been 2 years, no bootloop issues with that phone.

Agreed - I think LG has really dropped the hammer on the "bootloop" issue.

mylgt1

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
My G4 took 14 months to finally get the dreaded bootloop but luckily Lg covered the repair after warranty expired. I personally think for some reason the bootloop issue had something to do with the Snapdragon 808 processor that the G4 and V10 both had!

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The V20 does not overheat much if at all so I believe the dreaded bootloop issues have been resolved.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I just has my original LG V20 replaced for a bootloop issue.
One morning the battery percentage started dropping fast and the phone got hot so I shut it down, pulled the battery and rebooted. Boot loop was all that it would do.

The sprint repair center could not get it to register on their computer to reload the software so they simply replaced it with a brand new one there as I did have insurance...no charge to me.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I just has my original LG V20 replaced for a bootloop issue.
One morning the battery percentage started dropping fast and the phone got hot so I shut it down, pulled the battery and rebooted. Boot loop was all that it would do.
That sounds almost like a software issue, which is different from the G4 and V10 bootloop issue. Those would happen with no warning, not draining the battery or running hot right before the bootloop.

I'm not discounting the issues it caused you, but I think it was something different than the infamous bootloops and hopefully an isolated case.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That sounds almost like a software issue, which is different from the G4 and V10 bootloop issue. Those would happen with no warning, not draining the battery or running hot right before the bootloop.

I'm not discounting the issues it caused you, but I think it was something different than the infamous bootloops and hopefully an isolated case.

I haven't seen a true bootloop report yet. Not saying they don't exist but most of the reports I've seen are from posters who don't know what a bootloop is.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
LG bricked my V10 recently and I am mad as hell. I lost data, endured a week of downtime until I picked a phone and moved it to Verizon. I am paying close attention to V20 to get an idea of what it will do. If there isn't a flood of bootloop reports that became an epidemic with V10, I will buy it maybe this summer. Right now doesn't seem likely.

This is too bad because I like the LG V* concept. Vibrant screen that's kickass and the best I've ever seen, removable 10,000 mAh ZeroLemon cell, other interesting features. The device failing on a trip and losing data is just utterly unacceptable, at a critical time.
I got a Samsung Note 4 (because 5, 6 and 7 don't support ZeroLemon removable batteries) and it's just ok. The technology is several years behind but it at least it doesn't bootloop. I hope it lasts enough to carry me over to whatever is latest-greatest. I could buy any device but I want a close to 6" screen, removable batteries and thus am forced to buy obsolete devices.

There are many phones on the market that support removable batteries. Most of them several years old.

It doesn't seem like root issues of bootlooping were addressed in LG V20. V10 was OK for a while and then in the fall of 2016 it hit like an epidemic. Seems like V20 is also in the early stages of that same epidemic. I mean, it's the same phone without a redesign. More like a revision.

ssreload

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
Hy guys.
I think that you are really lucky.
I am a Note 4 user (still) and I'm looking for a similar good but newer phone with some mandatory requests: lesser glass, expandable memory, removable battery.
I really cant choose anything else than V20 (and I love the design).
Now, the problem is that I live in Europe (Romania) and this model is not official imported by Lg here. We find this phone in few online stores with no good credibility for product guaranty/ service.
If I buy this phone from here or via ebay, is the same.
I really dont know if worth the risks with this bootloop...
I am a heavy user, my Note 4 is heavy used even if it's charging...but after more than 2 years and 2 changed batteries keep rolling. I'm afraid that V20 may not rezist this stress.
What do you think about this?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress