The comment I hear most often

Amyshubby

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
"Is that an Apple watch?"

People are shocked that android wear exists. To say they need better marketing would be a gross understatement.

Today someone followed up by asking "when did Google decide to copy Apple?" So annoying.

There is currently a commercial for the Galaxy S6 edge showing how people who are constantly checking their phone no longer need to appear rude because they can see the edge of the phone on the table. When I saw the commercial I thought it would have been PERFECT for Android wear.

Posted via Android Central App

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Lol - that's funny when that happens. I've been asked that question many a time with a few Android Devices. One thing I don't think I've ever seen is a TV advert for a Android smart watch, here in the UK.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It happens to me all the time, even before the Apple one came out. Haha. Just live with it.

The fun part comes when you actually show them the watch, they're amazed, and when you tell them it won't work (yet) with their iPhones they pout. I even got an actual Apple Watch user saying he liked the 360 better, even though we both agreed Apple's screen is much better (it is, no denying that) and their implementation more app-packed and developer-backed than Android Wear, but still.

PS: Funny you should mention the Edge ad and how it's 'not rude' to just glance at your phone screen's side. I've run into the opposite with the watch, unfortunately. I'm so used to the notifications and quickly glancing at them when they arrive and checking if I should take action or can just dismiss them for the time being that I've had a few occasions where I've been asked if I'm in a hurry or bored with the conversation because I keep glancing at my watch. Never crossed my mind that it's a current social convention! Looking at your watch means you're worried about the time, in a hurry, etc.!

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Happens all the time, more so when I have my Gear Live. I just say no this one is better.

Posted via the Android Central App

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I used to get the "is that an apple watch" all the time, especially before they actually came out. But lately it seems to have died down.

I think it is because the general awareness of smart watches has increased significantly since the Apple watch went on sale. Because while most people don't have one, thanks to Apple's hype machine they do at least know of them. So it seems like now while most people won't know that what I have is an Android Wear powered Moto 360, they will at least be aware that since Apple makes a smart watch, other smart watches probably also exist. So now it is no longer some amazing new thing to marvel at... it's just some nerd and his nerd watch.

GC736

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I now ask people who are wearing an apple watch "Is that an Android watch?" Boy does that feel good!

From my Galaxy S6

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I actually just saw one out in the wild last week for the first time. It was actually being worn by one of the gate guards that work on my installation. I'm honestly surprised that I haven't seen more people wearing them here. There are a lot of young folks with a lot of disposable income working here.

Posted via the Android Central App

LowIQ

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
actual fact 90% of people are only 8 points above Forest Gump, and only 0.03% of populace has a 160+IQ, so don't be surprised if you don't hear worst than that... I find myself lucky when I don't see someone run into a pole as they text and walk... or trip and fall because of saggy pants...
It's why Apple exist after all, so people can pay for an ecosystem which requires little effort for thought...
H.G. Wells' The Time Machine had Apple people called the Eloi's... Funny how that is...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38