Flagship phone owners: How 'bad' is the Moto G 4G performance?

bseuivafom

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm considering this as a backup / podcast player and I was wondering just how bad this would be in terms of general response for someone who hasn't used anything but current flagships in a long time. A One M7 has fairly respectable everyday performance even now but I'm not sure I'd want to go much slower for something I'll have with me past Lollipop. And an APQ8064T seems to come quite a bit higher up the benchmarks than a Snapdragon 400.

What's the general consensus? It's this or a used One since 32Gb would be sufficient for my needs - but I'd prefer new.

Last edited:

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
It's internals are probably two years old compared to flagship phones. It's slow when you're looking at Snapdragon 801s or 805s. But it also has minimal software, and zero bloat. So the actual usage is quite nice. Primary phone for a power user? No. Backup who can deal with no LTE? Or a good phone for a parent or minimal user? It's fantastic.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you were asking about the phone itself, rather than it's usage on 4G rather than LTE. I think it's fine for simply surfing and music listening as AT&T around me is fine. But that's gonna be location specific. If I was in the mountains outside of Denver (where I live), it would be awful compared to VZW's LTE. But that's not the phone's fault.

bseuivafom

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
To be clear, I'm asking about the Moto G 4G - the one with LTE and the microSD slot.

The performance question is not about LTE though - it's about the SD400 in terms of everyday performance.

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Um... it is?

I'm talking about the Moto G 4G released mid-this year.

I understand the confusion, but the Moto G LTE, though released this year, is actually an update of the Moto G 1st Gen (2013), with a 4.5-inch screen, while this forum is dedicated to the Moto G 2nd Gen (2014), which has 3G and a 5-inch screen.

So yes, you're asking in the wrong forum, but other than the 2nd Gen lacking LTE and having a larger screen, the internals are pretty the same between both generations, so I can tell you that based on my experience with the 2nd Gen, the performance is snappy enough for your everyday apps. The differences you'd notice most would be in high-end gaming, where the slower processor will result in some degraded performance, and in multi-tasking, since it only has 1 gig of RAM, meaning background apps are closed more aggressively, which you're gonna notice if you're switching between multiple apps. You can bog the phone down if you try to rapidly switch apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bawan maviya