Anyone else experiencing wifi connectivity issues with Moto G?

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
So today my partner and I were out and about with our new phones and were at a restaurant. I was able to connect to their public wifi and hold a connection no problem on my Moto X. However he could not connect at all at first on his Moto G and even when he did, it kept dropping the connection. Does the Moto G have an inferior wifi chip compared to the Moto X? It was a very frustrating experience for us both. He just could not keep a connection.

So now I am wondering if they are all like that and this is going to be an issue, or if there is just an issue with his particular phone. He doesn't seem to have a problem at home, but the way I could connect while he could not, when out somewhere is a problem. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Oh, one more thing I should note. Both our Moto G and Moto X are NOT on KitKat yet.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Basic question--if that public wifi required logging in on a welcome page, you're sure he was logging in correctly, right?

donpdonp

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
My girlfriend has a Moto G and it too has hard to diagnose wifi problems. Some access points work great, others it wont connect to at all.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmm....sounds exactly like the same problem. Today he told me of another access point that he was having issues connecting to even though his old LG Optimus would (and it was a horrible phone in every regard). So I'm going to be watching this closely and complain to Motorola if it continues to be an issue.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's a 4.4.2 issue. I have a Nexus 5, and today, all of a sudden, it wouldn't not hold a connection to my router. It would switch to 4GLTE. All my other devices (Lumia 520, 2 Laptops and desktop) held a rock solid wireless connection. I tried all sorts of things, but got frustrated as nothing worked. Finally, I did a factory reset, and the issue has so far not returned.

Uddin96

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Its not a case of on some it works and on others it does not. I came home today to find that my moto g refused to connect to my wifi. It has been working fine until this happened, it would connect as well as any other phone around me.

rwalton159

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I use "FastConnect" free from Play.
I set it up with my details and it connects automatically to free wi-fi spots

Whenever I am not using wi-fi (home or elsewhere), the connection drops until I use an app that needs it - wi-fi then connects quite quickly. Not sure if this is part of "power safe" or wi-fi settings

Armando Dias

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Yes the connection is flaky ...it looks like you requires Line of Sight to the Wifi device using the Moto G then it gets strong signal.. Im just wondering if this will continue or just requires some update. If its hardware well :(