Moto X: Phone has no landscape mode

brett328

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Cant get landscape mode when on a phone call or in the dialer mode. There is no option for it in the phone settings either. I downloaded a 3rd party phone dialer app that will allow landscape mode while in the dialer, but as soon as you make or receive a phone call, its back to portrait during in-call. Is this why they havent released the car dock? Cant believe there is not a lot of noise about this huge oversight. I have stock kitkat on Verizon Wireless.

I have been using a universal car dock and carhome while driving and thought this might have something to do with it, but even trying it while not docked or in car made the same portrait mode persists!!

Any gurus out there got an answer?

Last edited by a moderator:

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Phone has no landscape mode

I have the same issue. Usually I have my phone in landscape when driving. I wonder if there is a fix coming. Some how I doubt it.

Sent from my Moto X via Tapatalk

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site

This is nothing new to the Moto X. Even back on my Nexus One, the home screen and dialers were portrait only. HOWEVER... landscape for both was enabled when docked in the OEM car dock. Support for landscape is there. Its just not enabled under normal circumstances.

jants13

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

You may want to play around with apps like Rotation Locker, or try some Custom Launchers. Though the Custom Launchers would likely still use the default dialer. I was able to get pretty much everything to stay in Landscape with Rotation Locker, but I didn't like the Notification is had to keep there..

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Why do you need the dialer in landscape while driving? Shouldn't you just be using always listening/Moto Assist to dial when driving anyway?

Also, they did release the dock but discontinued it for what seems to be quality control issues.

brett328

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Call me finicky, but its annoying to look at the sideways screen during a call when I'm driving. Obviously not a dealbreaker or anything, just an annoyance that begs the question, "why would they do that?" Especially when its such an easy coding fix.

Posted via Android Central App

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I realize this is a somewhat old thread but has anyone come up with a solution to this? I also find it annoying to look a sideways screen while driving.