Clear TPU cases - pitfall

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure if "TPU" denotes a single manufacturer or a design-style of cases or materials used, so advance apologies if I offend a manufacturer.

My TPU style case arrived yesterday afternoon and I slipped it on with much anticipation. It is the Clear and frosted back model, and it looked good as I have the white Dev edition X, so dropped it into my dark blue polar fleece vest pocket.

A couple of phone calls later, I was showing it to the other-half, SO, best friend etc and damn it, the clear case shows dark blue lint trapped all around the face edge. It looks crappy and filthy after a few hours of use. I can't blame Amazon and ship it back for a return, so will have to trash it and order a colored replacement. Should have gone with black or blue, -- ahhhh, hindsight. Should that be "Arrggggh hindsight?" :)

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I have never had a issue like that with the diztronic tpu clear cases I have used. I work in a warehouse though so they do show when they are dirty alot easier.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think TPU is what its is made out of, for example one of mine is an Diztronic matte black TPU case. The other one being a Cruzerlite TPU case. :)
That being said:
I get some lint around mine where the lip folds around the phone but it wasnt as much as you had described, also thats with the case on for months.
But I just carry mine in pants pocket. I can see how it would get more in a fleece pocket.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
But I just carry mine in pants pocket. I can see how it would get more in a fleece pocket.

Thanks, I kinda though that about the TPU but did not want to paint all makers with the same brush as the maker of mine, who also is not at fault, just the way it is.

I think what happens as the thing moves around in the pocket, the flexible and grippy material slightly lifts the edge of the case. It then grabs the fleece and pulls out tiny tufts trapping them under the lip which is about 3/32" wide. Looked very crappy so I have reverted to a belt mounted case until the colored one arrives. Only five-bucks so no complaints really, just offering it as a warning to others that may be thinking of buying the clear case.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure if "TPU" denotes a single manufacturer or a design-style of cases or materials used, so advance apologies if I offend a manufacturer.

FYI: TPU stands for "Thermoplastic Polyurethane". Basically, it's a reusable urethane that turns liquid when melted, making it perfect for cheap injection molding.

A couple of phone calls later, I was showing it to the other-half, SO, best friend etc and damn it, the clear case shows dark blue lint trapped all around the face edge. It looks crappy and filthy after a few hours of use. I can't blame Amazon and ship it back for a return, so will have to trash it and order a colored replacement. Should have gone with black or blue, -- ahhhh, hindsight. Should that be "Arrggggh hindsight?" :)

If you were local, I'd offer you a couple of bucks for it. I keep mine in a neoprene holster, so no worries about fleece.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Diztronic thinking it was transparent but it was foggy opaque. Even at $12 it was to much of a drag to pack it up and resent it at my own cost. So I did this:

attachment.php

Was hoping for better result but oh well. May be I could use a heat gun and smooth the edges a little.

sent via Le Motonovo X