Quick charge 2.0

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Just got an Aukey QC 2.0 wall charger, and maybe it's my imagination, but does the phone run hotter and slower while using a QC 2.0 charger? I have noticed it twice so far, and unplugging it from the charger speeds it up again..

I'm going with Milky Way via
the Android Central App

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure about the phone running slower, but I've definitely noticed that it feels hotter when I charge via the Moto turbo charger as compared to the standard charger.

Posted via the Android Central App

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I don't use a QC 2.0 charger, so I'm just guessing, but it sounds like thermal throttling. When the phone's internal parts reach a certain temperature, the software dials back the CPU to give the heat a chance to dissipate. My phone gets fairly warm when charging (with the standard Moto charger), especially when charging a near dead battery, but I've never noticed it slow down. It would be reasonable to assume that because the Quick Charger puts so much energy into the battery in such a short period of time, that it would cause the phone to heat up more drastically.

Again, this is just a guess. All the reviews/info I've read online regarding quick chargers have said they are safe and shouldn't damage the battery over the life of the phone, but none of them mentioned any thermal throttling.

I would recommend buying the Moto brand quick charger to see if that has the same issue. I think you can probably get them at a carrier store (VZW, ATT, Etc) and then return it if it isn't any better than the Aukey.

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!

It might thermal throttling, like you said.. I'm going to try to find an app that shows the internal temperatures, and see if I can figure out at what temperature it starts throttling. I might also buy a Motorola branded charger to see if it behaves differently. Otherwise, it works as advertised.

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Turned out to be a cache partition issue..

Once I cleared it (for legally the 8th fine since being lollipop), it works fine while charging. Also, wiping the cache partition helped eliminate some wifi speed inconsistencies.. So weird.

I'm going with Milky Way via
the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch