Is going from the Nexus 5 to the Moto X considered a "downgrade"?

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 that's about two months old, which I do like, but am heavily getting discouraged from going to a Moto X. I switched from an HTC One in November because that device stopped working properly. I like the Nexus 5 but I love some of the Moto X's features: most notably touch less control, active notifications, better battery life, and the display is better (to my eyes anyway). So far my friend says not to do it it's a downgrade, and my wife says "no you just got that phone." My pro list outweighed my con list for getting the Moto X. Do you think I am downgrading if I do this and should I just stick with what I have?

They're about equal in all honesty. If you like the software features the Moto X offers then I would get it. However, if your wife doesn't need a new phone then just save your money and stick with the Nexus 5.

Mikhailov

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
They're about equal in all honesty. If you like the software features the Moto X offers then I would get it. However, if your wife doesn't need a new phone then just save your money and stick with the Nexus 5.

I think after two hard days of deliberation, I'm going to stick with the N5 for now. As much as I love the Moto X and its features, I think you're right. Tough decision (first world problems I know) but I know I still have a great phone. When the Moto X 2 comes out, I think I'll immediately go for it.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I think after two hard days of deliberation, I'm going to stick with the N5 for now. As much as I love the Moto X and its features, I think you're right. Tough decision (first world problems I know) but I know I still have a great phone. When the Moto X 2 comes out, I think I'll immediately go for it.

Try Dynamic Notifications in the play store. It will fill your Active Notification wants since your sticking with the N5

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Mikhailov

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Try Dynamic Notifications in the play store. It will fill your Active Notification wants since your sticking with the N5

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

I did give it a shot. I live it, but it seems to work only when it wants and magically drains my battery.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't think its a downgrade. It may seem to be a downgrade in terms of specs, but if you factor in things like the voice control, the Motorola built apps, battery life and the build quality, it is in fact an upgrade.

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I have to have always listening Google now and Motorola Assist. And I would hate to give up active notifications. I wouldn't trade my X for any other phone. Only other phone I could live with is the Maxx since it has same features as the X.

Other two phones I really like are the nexus 5 and lgg2. And the Maxx, but I just consider it a Moto x with a big screen and battery.
I am afraid I would hate the Battery life on the nexus. Other then that is a sweet phone. The G2 is awesome too.

I think you made the right decision. Since you haven't gotten used to the moto x features you won't miss them. Enjoy your nexus but be sure and try out the next Motorola phone down the line.

Posted via Android Central App

hawonjung

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Yes it is a downgrade when you look at hardware specs but buttery smooth and battery life is upgrade. I weigh in battery life and buttery smooth higher priority. So to me moto x is a better device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mikhailov

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I have to have always listening Google now and Motorola Assist. And I would hate to give up active notifications. I wouldn't trade my X for any other phone. Only other phone I could live with is the Maxx since it has same features as the X.

Other two phones I really like are the nexus 5 and lgg2. And the Maxx, but I just consider it a Moto x with a big screen and battery.
I am afraid I would hate the Battery life on the nexus. Other then that is a sweet phone. The G2 is awesome too.

I think you made the right decision. Since you haven't gotten used to the moto x features you won't miss them. Enjoy your nexus but be sure and try out the next Motorola phone down the line.

Those features are exactly the reason I was considering the X. And I made my decision to stay, but I still can't seem to stop playing with Moto Maker. A friend told me I sounded like Gollum arguing with himself.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
No it's not a downgrade or no I should not stick with what I have?

....its not a downgrade in my opinion.I love the features of the Moto X and I actually use all of them.I had had phones that had features that were more gimmick like before and never used those.
I wasnt sure if I would use all of the features of the Moto X actually when I first purchased the phone but now I cant do without them ,(Active Display,Touchless Controls,Camera Gesture, Always Listening )

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Is switching between a Note 3 and Moto X considered a downgrade. I'm getting sick of TouchWiz..

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I might self am thinking of giving the moto x a try. N5 was nice but the HTC One kept me coming back! Love the boom speakers!

Mikhailov

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I had to run it through Moto Maker just to see what it would look like. It was originally a joke but it looks pretty cool.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1390496519.874817.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1390496519.874817.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 51
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1390496544.221929.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1390496544.221929.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 50

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members