wifi battery issues?

mackattk

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
According to GSAM, my wifi is taking ~20% of my battery usage, even when not connected to any networks. Wifi scanning is turned off under location settings, and network notification/keep wifi on during sleep is disabled under wifi settings. Anyone else have this issue? Another weird thing is when I click on wi-fi under GSAM, it shows data downloaded/uploaded even though it has not been connected to a wi-fi network since last full charge.

Bosgarage57

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Mine as well. I went under location, hit the 3 dots, advanced and turned the 2 WiFi things off. It seemed to fix mine...... I hope

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue, my battery stats say that WiFi is always my biggest drain ahead of my screen. I'm still getting 8-10 hours SOT over 1.5-2 days though.

NX1977

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Wifi and Google play services drain is a known problem affecting all devices. Nexus phones were hit especially hard for some unknown reason.

Apparently fixed in Nougat.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm getting almost 3 days of phone use which is f'n amazing. Just was wondering why screen and WiFi are taking so much.

NX1977

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I'm getting almost 3 days of phone use which is f'n amazing. Just was wondering why screen and WiFi are taking so much.
Could it be the active/wake-up display feature?

Mines in a case, but apparently the screen kept waking itself last night, and whilst in my pocket today.

I've turned this off in the Moto app as a test.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Could it be the active/wake-up display feature?

Mines in a case, but apparently the screen kept waking itself last night, and whilst in my pocket today.

I've turned this off in the Moto app as a test.
Oh yeah I do have one of those on. It's the notification one from moto on. Active display off. So yeah that must be it. Thanks dude. Now just wondering why WiFi with strong signal is taking almost 20% when I'm home.

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Interesting, for me WiFi is always near the bottom of the list at ~1-2% and I never turn it off. I read once that Moto had issues with certain routers.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, for me WiFi is always near the bottom of the list at ~1-2% and I never turn it off. I read once that Moto had issues with certain routers.
Maybe that's it idk dude. It's not killing me with the usage of my phone but it's still an annoyance.

NX1977

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
As I say, a known bug since lollipop. Marshmallow made it worse.

It's in the Android bug tracker pages.

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
As I say, a known bug since lollipop. Marshmallow made it worse.

It's in the Android bug tracker pages.

My 2014 X had an issue with Cisco routers, but after an update it corrected. Hopefully the same will happen soon for whatever is the cause of this odd drain. Good luck guys.