Returned mine.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't return a phone because of software bugs. Give it a couple of months to iron out the wrinkles. I would only return a phone if the hardware is faulty. Software updates will be forthcoming. Be patient.

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
mine is having to do this. every now and then when i close the camera and every time i open and close the keyboard

Please don't say that the D3 is doing the slow to redraw the widgets thing when going back to the home screen. :( This has been my biggest gripe with Android since the OG Droid ... You would think Gingerbread and a 1GHz processor on the DX would have fixed this issue. But alas, I have just been about ready to wing my DX through a wall this past week because it gotten so bad ... I DON"T want to hear this problem still exists with a phone like the D3.

General Tso

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't return a phone because of software bugs. Give it a couple of months to iron out the wrinkles. I would only return a phone if the hardware is faulty. Software updates will be forthcoming. Be patient.

I was patient with the Thunderbolt. Never again. Test your products before releasing them.

General Tso

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Please don't say that the D3 is doing the slow to redraw the widgets thing when going back to the home screen. :( This has been my biggest gripe with Android since the OG Droid ... You would think Gingerbread and a 1GHz processor on the DX would have fixed this issue. But alas, I have just been about ready to wing my DX through a wall this past week because it gotten so bad ... I DON"T want to hear this problem still exists with a phone like the D3.

The problem is still alive and well.:mad:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Laggy screen, not sure what bum unit you have but my screen is anything but laggy. The transitions are plenty fast compared to any other Android phone I have used yet, and I have owned 6 or 7 in the last year. Still if you want iPhone and can live with their rules that's fine, its the reason there are choices available.

Still Netflix is coming and sometimes you have to wait, but that IS netflix's fault not Moto.

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
The problem is still alive and well.:mad:

Ridiculous. Seriously. I've never used an Android other than a Moto but they all have done the same crap with the widget redraw. Is this an Android issue? Do HTC devices have the same problem?? LG?? I thought I had the problem fixed yesterday when I realized I had a bunch of apps not move to my SD Card. I moved them, and it freed up a bunch of RAM (I thought internal app storage and OS RAM were separate?) and things were very snappy again. Alas, 4 hours later the slow screen redraws returned, albeit not anywhere near as bad. The phone is very usable like this, it's just not snappy at all.

I'll tell you, I have an original iPad at home that I took a shot on only because I got a super sweet deal on from a co-worker of mine. I use that device almost nightly. My wife uses it daily, Its extremely solid. However, iOS is certainly not without its faults, it does lag and lockup at times, it also force closes apps more often than Apple fan boys will ever admit. However parts of iOS certainly seem a heck of a lot more polished than Android to me. There are days when my DX goes all wonky that I get frustrated and actually do think about getting an iPhone next time around. Then I remember things about iOS like the fact that I still can't change my email notification sound on the iPad. So, I grab the X, play around with some widgets, change up my themes, and realize iOS in its stock form is just too locked down for me.

All that said, I'm really looking forward to seeing the D3 all up-close and personal tomorrow as my wife will be getting it as her first new Android phone. And ... she'll only be paying $99 for the D3. Great deal!

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
you are confusing RAM and ROM. Moving your apps from your device to your SD card would free up some ROM but should have anything to do with the redraw. The OS is partitioned out thats why you only have 2gb of ROM for apps.

RAM is the memory used by apps when they are running. If you are low on RAM you might have lag and perhaps the redraw would be slower.

mcmand

Jul 6, 2011
wireless.amazon.com
All that said, I'm really looking forward to seeing the D3 all up-close and personal tomorrow as my wife will be getting it as her first new Android phone. And ... she'll only be paying $99 for the D3. Great deal!

How many of you guys have the Droid 3 so far?? We (Amazon) could really use some of these detailed types of reviews, pros/cons, etc. that are in this thread. There are absolutely none so far as of this posting (4:50pm PDT). It'd be really helpful if those of you who already have them chime in :)
http://wireless.amazon.com/customer...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU1100385

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
you are confusing RAM and ROM. Moving your apps from your device to your SD card would free up some ROM but should have anything to do with the redraw. The OS is partitioned out thats why you only have 2gb of ROM for apps.

RAM is the memory used by apps when they are running. If you are low on RAM you might have lag and perhaps the redraw would be slower.

It didn't make sense to me either. I was running with anywhere from 35 to 50 MB of free RAM. The phone was a laggy mess. After I moved the apps to the SD card I am running from 130MB to 100MB free RAM and the phone is much better. The big culprit was Plants vs Zombies at 77MB! After that moved to SD the OS woke up.

I had to move Pandora and KeyRing back to the phone to get their Widgets to show up and memory went down a bit. Still at 100+ now and the phone is fairly snappy. Redraws are now rare. All I know is moving the apps helped big time. It was so bad the dialer would take over a minute to initiate a call.

BTW all my memory readings are from the "Running Applications" page.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I've seen the redraws some, too. It seems to me that perhaps the memory management has a bug that is purging homescreen data from memory when it shouldn't, causing it to have to render from scratch when returning to the homescreen. I usually see it after using anything that uses the camera and sometimes after playing a game (the game example is understandable, though).

It is unfortunate that such a powerful phone is suffering from something like this, but I would just about bet that it'll be fixed in a subsequent software update, which we all know will come at some point; just a matter of how soon.

I think that it's important to let Motorola or VZW know about if you're having the issue, though, so that they will fix it.

-SR-

General Tso

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
"It'll be fixed with an update" Familiar Android terminology. I refuse to accept constant bugs and issues. Test your products!

General Tso

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
How's the iphone?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

No problems yet. It doesn't have the customization like android. I like android and the way it works, I'm just tired of bugs and being told "a fix is coming". The screen redraw issue on android is unbelievable! I mean it's got a dual core processor. I also think some of the multi-tasking with android causes issues. iPhone can't do as much as android, but what it does, it does well. For me, that's important. I fully believe the problem with android has to do with the manufacturer skins. I won't have another android phone till Verizon gets a Nexus phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non