RETURNED MY S24 ULTRA

PhabPhan

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Im not sure if iv self adjusted to it or if it has fixed it self but I'm not noticing the washed out colours anymore at all. Even when comparing to my oneplus 8 which made my s24u look so bad when I first turnt it on.

I did reset the partition cache but don't think that done it tbh, hopefully samsung do drop the day 1 patch this week either way though
Yes, I noticed the colors coming in and out on my display, going from the faded look to the vivid look. I turned off the adaptive color tone, and now my screen is nice and saturated again!

mak916

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered mine today. Last minute. Good thing I'm not using my S23 as a trade in. I will be using my Note 20. My phone should arrive on my birthday. I am going to keep reading this thread. Hopefully there will be some updates soon.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
But this .... Not a defect, per Samsung. No update coming. Intentional change.

We are seeing conflicting reports on if Samsung will change this or not. Their Members forums are blowing up about this too. Plus, what does "Samsung Spain" really know? Sounds like standard corporate response ro me.

Next we'll hear "you're just not holding it right".

Personally, I could never stand the blown-out over-saturated reds and greens of the old vivid mode and always preferred natural, so I'm fine with the look as it's more real and less cartoonish.

But it's an obvious preference for many people so Samsung should fix it. I think they'll bring it back - or at least make the change to vivid be more noticeable. Because it certainly isn't now. Even on my S24+. If they are going to provide the option, make it actually do something.

PauldtCa

Feb 3, 2024
Visit site
First post alert:

I received my S24 Ultra and what kills me is that this phone, apparently, shipped with a known problem with the display. My S10's display looks so much better and if the fix isn't in soon I too will be returning it. Samsung's CSRs have told me that they've received numerous complaints about the display and should have a software fix "soon," whatever that means. When pressed, the CSR admitted that he had no idea and it may or may not before my return window.

The "phone is stuck in Natural mode, (as opposed to Vivid mode), may or may not be the issue, IMO. When comparing my S10 in natural mode vs the S24U's, the S10's display still looks better. I'm likely going to return it but for what? The Pixel 8 Pro? The iPhone 15 Pro Max? This definitely seems like a "First World problem," but for what we are paying for these devices, it shouldn't cause this much frustration.

Also, the Samsung CSR told me that the "stuck on Natural mode" issue is wide spread and he believed that it impacts every single phone. How is that all of the YouTube reviewers made no mention of this whatsoever during their reviews? Hmmmm

Reactions: BEaRebel

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah agreed weird that not one YouTube reviewer mentioned this during the review period. Personally, I don't care about the natural look and isn't bothering me. But it was pretty obvious going from S23 ultra to S24 ultra. Not one YouTuber mentioned about this. Shows how clueless they are and just go by a script

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
I understand your frustration. I feel the S24U is kinda buggy, which isn't cool. I think updates are forthcoming because the masses are experiencing the same issues.
When has anything on first release not been buggy? It is the nature of the beast and a First World problem.

I've been working in the IT world (both formally and informally) for over 30 years. I've never seen a first release work 100%. I've never seen anything in the IT realm work at 100% even after updates.

In my current position, we are fielding a new system. We are operationally testing it out now and even though it is doing great, there are some issues with it that need to be addressed or tweaked. But it is a whole lot better than what it will eventually replace across the enterprise.

Last edited:

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
First post alert:

How is that all of the YouTube reviewers made no mention of this whatsoever during their reviews? Hmmmm

Yeah agreed weird that not one YouTube reviewer mentioned this during the review period. Personally, I don't care about the natural look and isn't bothering me. But it was pretty obvious going from S23 ultra to S24 ultra. Not one YouTuber mentioned about this. Shows how clueless they are and just go by a script

Flossy mentions it around 11:55 and compares it to an iPhone.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
I remember how the FPS was buggy on the S22 Ultra when it came out. An update fixed that problem, and most people didn't have issues with it afterwards.
Even then that was not that wide spread. I never had a problem with the FPS. Most, if not all, the issues that we read about are exaggerated by social media (yes Android Central is Social Media).

When an outlet like Forbes reports on something, it gets picked up by another outlet then another and then another. It gives the impression that it is a widespread problem, when in reality, it is one outlet repeating what another said. Then forums like AC or XDA start talking about it and then becomes this echo chamber.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Understood. But I don't have to like it. I didn't pay that price to be a beta tester. Either put out an update or say it is what it is.
You're not a beta tester. That has already been done. Beta testing can only take you so far. Beta testing is looking for major problems like reliability, network performance and such with some refinement and tweaking. Beta testing can't find all of the "nit noid" issues. That won't happen until the device is released for mass production and sale. From there forward it is refinement and tweaks.

This is for anything manmade. The first generation of HMMWVs the US military fielded had a problem with mounting bolts of the generator (aka alternator) shearing off. Even though the vehicle was extensively tested, that issue didn't crop up until after it was mass produced and fielded. The fix was to replace the mounting bolts with stronger ones.

Like I said, it is the nature of technology.

Reactions: notforhire