Pentile huh?

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
i notice it on the lock screen at normal viewing distance. and when i look close at the notification bar. on websites at normal viewing it looks nice and sharp.

The lock screen is supposed to have a fence-like grid mesh over top. It's supposed to look like a "locked" screen.

-Suntan

Lsx346

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
The lock screen is supposed to have a fence-like grid mesh over top. It's supposed to look like a "locked" screen.

-Suntan

so now i dont see why pentile is so bad, up close its noticeable but in sunlight this phone is great. i havent noticed any difference vs super lcd. the QHD + 4" screen killed off the pixelation

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Seriously, with this??

How friggin close are you guys holding the phone from your noses, 1.3 millimeters?

Give me a break.

I came to the D3 from the DX. Sure, this pentile screen isn't as good as the DXs was but to say its "TERRIBLE" and "unusable" proves to me that Im right: no matter how a device is spec'd, there will always be a certain percentage of dbags complaining about the most trivial things.

Folks, if you're considering the Droid 3 just go to a VZW store and look for yourselves. Can I see the pixels? Sure, when I hold it right to to my nose. So, if that's the position you hold the phone in when you use it, you should probably be looking for corrective lenses instead of a better screen.

Gimme a break...sheesh!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

No, I won't give you a break. Put up the the "Grass" live wallpaper on the D3 and just look at the swaying blades. There are pixels all around it. Do it and you will see what I mean. It almost looks like mosquito noise on an HD LCD TV. Compared to my DX, the TBolt, the Revo, it looks like crap. Just to make sure I was wasn't nuts I pulled up that wallpaper on my wife's phone last night and it still looked like crap.

And NO it wasn't 2 inches from my face. Oh yeah, when you hit the menu button from the home screen, all the black and white icons look like they have bumps (pixels) for straight edges. Is it noticeable at quick glance? No. Do you start see it when you stare at them for while while constantly accessing the menu while setting up the phone, YES, you sure do. Is it a deal breaker? Depends on what you expect from your "latest and greatest" smartphone.

Yoho

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I was debating on whether or not to get the D3 because of the pentile screen and after reading some post on here about how bad it was I was really worried, but honestly its not noticeable to me. I compared it to my gf's Iphone4 and aside from the battery display there's not that big of difference. The D3's screen is ALOT brighter but the Iphone4's screen is overall better. I don't think the screen is a deal breaker, but everyone who has doubt should go and check it out themselves like I did. I'm definitely glad I got this phone tho!

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Seriously, with this??

How friggin close are you guys holding the phone from your noses, 1.3 millimeters?

Give me a break.

I came to the D3 from the DX. Sure, this pentile screen isn't as good as the DXs was but to say its "TERRIBLE" and "unusable" proves to me that Im right: no matter how a device is spec'd, there will always be a certain percentage of dbags complaining about the most trivial things.

Folks, if you're considering the Droid 3 just go to a VZW store and look for yourselves. Can I see the pixels? Sure, when I hold it right to to my nose. So, if that's the position you hold the phone in when you use it, you should probably be looking for corrective lenses instead of a better screen.

Gimme a break...sheesh!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

So I'm a dbag because I came from a Droid 1 with an amazing screen, Droid X with an amazing screen, an iPhone 4 with an amazing screen, and now if I want another Motorola, I'm being forced to choose one with an inferior screen display?

Motorola doesn't get it. They are biting the hand that feeds. Just a few years ago they were almost bankrupt.. now they have millions of dollars in spending cash and are going down the same route as before.

Why should I consider an upgraded phone a downgrade?! upgrades mean just that.. you're moving onto the next best technology. Pentile is INFERIOR in pixel quality to RBG STRIPE! plain and simple.

darkmatter

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna say I'll stand behind moto's decision to give this thing a screen fit for a phone instead of a multimedia device. ie, significantly better battery life and readable in the sunlight. I think too many people are forgetting that when all is said and done, these are still PHONES. People are posting battery stats, and where the display is usually by far the largest percentage of battery drain, in the D3, its the lowest or close to it.

here's a pic of my phone after moderate use.

this is 12 hours and still 50% battery left.
IMG_20110717_211736.jpg

I'll say this is a better phone than most smart phones these days. People are trying to say motorola is losing touch, but I think its more they're remembering what these devices actually are.

Don't get me wrong, its a good screen for consuming media, but I don't think its going to win awards over iphone etc. But when I want to watch movies etc, I'll break out the nook color.

akronevan2

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I have to say that through all of my complaining I have changed my mind about the Pentile display. I enjoy having ample battery left later in the day. I think I will keep my phone for a good long while and enjoy it as long as I can. It is a much better phone than the type of screen lets on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38