Droid MAXX Dropped once... cracked screen!!

adrialk

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Yep, wife dropped hers the other day, has a bumper on it. About three feet, maybe! onto a tile floor. Screwed. $240 is the best quote so far! $240!! Obscene. So much for Gorilla 3 durability. What BS. Why can't they use Lexan?

Because it'll be scratched immediately. Then if it doesn't scratch it'll become translucent.

Sent from my XT1080M

Aiyana Potter-Dixon

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
cracked screen!!

You typed it:I hate it also,I got the Droid MAXX for free when I switched it with my old phone.I just dropped it on the kitchen floor and I got pissed.This phone cost $500 and I wonder what my dad will say....😤😰

ohlambie

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
The statement on not a lot of complaints is not true. Go to Verizon website forum and read over 500 complaints . Some of people having their screen shatter just from playing music. This phone should have been recalled. Looks like a class action suit if I ever saw one. I had an otter box on mine it got mold behind plastic so I took it off to clean it . I bent down because I dropped the case forgetting the phone was in my pocket. Just 4" off the floor and it looks like I took a hammer to it.

Last edited:

ohlambie

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Mokib, you are right on the money. These phones are defective and should be recalled and consumers should have their phones fixed for free and or their moner refunded. Im not talking about someone that has had the phone a year. Most of the 500 complaints I have read where the screen SHATTERS, not just cracks, happen within the first month.The glass shatters like it was hit with a hammer. Mine fell out of my pocket onto the carpet,then did a tiny bounce onto the floor. I couldn't believe my eyes when I picked it up.I am contacting Motorola and then a consumer protection attorn if they do not take responsability for their defective device.Did they change the design of the new Droid? Thank you for the links as well. If you want to contact me to join please feel free. Someone on another Forum said to contact the BBB and the Atorney general. I wonder if anyone else got cut from the glass?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If you drop a phone, which has a large portion made of glass, which on this phone goes from edge to edge, you'll be lucky if the glass doesn't break. You weren't lucky when you dropped yours. Motorola didn't drop it - you did. Apparently you didn't get insurance to protect against something like this. I know when I bought the phone the salesman really, really tried to get me to buy insurance (as always happens when I buy a phone from Verizon.)

It should be noted that the Droid Turbo is sold with a one time glass replacement warranty, so the Turbo remains a fragile device. All of them are.

This is the Droid Maxx user manual: https://motorola-global-portal.cust...77023528/redirect/1/filename/68017543001A.pdf

Go to page 63 and read the part "glass parts". Motorola has warned you that the glass parts of the phone are fragile.

If you go forward with a lawsuit you'll probably spend more on that than it would cost to buy yourself a replacement phone. But, good luck with all of that. I don't think you'll get anywhere.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I with you on this one Doogald. They can't make phones indestructible...well they could but then they would be impractical. I dropped my Maxx a few times and always on a hard surface and it didn't break (I was lucky) but then a month ago I had it in my pocket along with a wrench while I was rolling around under my car doing some work and I rolled over on it AND the wrench and it cracked the screen in three places (I was unlucky). I wound up just replacing the screen myself so it's all better now.

atyrl

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I've read through all these posts and read a lot of complaining and information about screens, but was really hoping to find solutions. I've had my dmaxx over a year....a few drops (all accidental - so no need to ridicule), no problems with damage until recently. I am thinking it is just the way it fell. Here is my issue - as smart phones are expensive, I don't plan to upgrade regularly. I also think $200 is too much to ask for a repair and the insurance plan costs essentially more when it is all said and done. Over 15 years handling a cell phone, I've never had a problem. I agree with other posts.....a case on this phone (and large smart phones) is too bulky. Because the screen is the most fragile part of the phone.....these phones need to be made so that replacement of the screen is easy and accessible. Anyone have ideas on how to replace a screen by one's self so that it is cost effective, rather than a whopping $200!?!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
YouTube has a bunch of videos showing how to DYI a screen or screen/digitizer repair: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=droid+maxx+screen+replacement

I've never done it myself, but that may be the right place to start.

I use a Griffin clear case for my Maxx. It's pretty minimal, has a lip that hangs over the bezel, so I think it will give me at least a little protection if I dropped the phone. If you can't afford to repair or replace your phone, or pay for insurance, paying a little bit of size I think is worth it if it will at least help protect the phone.

The edge to edge glass I think is the major problem. It can be the toughest gorilla glass, but it's still glass, fragile, and subject to fracture. It's probably unlikely that phone manufacturers will switch to larger bezels at this point, though. So, I keep my phone in as minimal a case as I can, with a Zagg or tempered glass style screen protector (unfortunately, there are no tempered glass protectors for the Maxx/Ultra), and hope that gives my phone a little more protection.