OTA update and MotoRoot

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if MotoRoot still works after receiving the OTA update? The update showed up on my phone this morning but I declined installing it until I find out more.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if MotoRoot still works after receiving the OTA update? The update showed up on my phone this morning but I declined installing it until I find out more.

I don't believe so. The newest release is called rockmymoto. I'll get you a link

53N7 FR0M M4 DMAXX V1A 7A9A7A7K

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
From the Dev

If you install pwnmymoto (but not run) before updating it will work

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

silverwood

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I would also like to know the answer to the original post
I did the original MotoRoot then the Hotspot exploit then used the un-root button from MotoRoot.
So technically I'm not Rooted,
I personally don't care about Keeping Root as long as the Hotspot exploit works.

the

LabRat

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
It looks like you got a lot of answers to the wrong question. :)

Here's what I did.
uninstalled SuperSU
opended the MotoRoot app and hit the Unroot button
after the phone rebooted I accepted the update
opended the MotoRoot app and hit the Setup button
reinstalled SuperSU from the downloaded apk

After the whole process everything is back to normal, the tethering entitlement bit was unaffected.
I may not of had to do the unroot process but it is better to be safe.

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
For anyone rooted with MotoRoot and modified the "Entitlemtn Check" to 0 to get free tethering on the unlimited plan: the update does not reset the "Entitlement Check" value. So, even if you unroot, uninstall MotoRoot, uninstall SuperSU and take the update - the "Entitlement Check" will stay at 0 allowing you to use the native tether

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Why would I have to uninstall SuperSU first? Thanks for all the help.

I too am only interested in being able to use my hot spot. So if the entitlement check stays to 0 I am good. I don't particularly care if I am rooted otherwise.

LabRat

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

I too am only interested in being able to use my hot spot. So if the entitlement check stays to 0 I am good. I don't particularly care if I am rooted otherwise.
You probably don't, I was being extra cautious.

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

I think I remember reading one of your posts where you said that you've changed the value of "Entitlement Check" from 1 to 0, or am I mistaken?

If you have changed the Entitlement Check to 0 then you can uninstall MotoRoot, SuperSU, SQLite, or anything else you installed for that purpose - the update will install just fine and you will still be able to use the built in tether.

If you haven't changed the Entitlement Check value to get tethering, look here (very detailed):
https://plus.google.com/116208335878074335933/posts/HywwStewpQw

Or here (shorter description):
[HOW TO] Entitlement check for Unlimited Data VZW M Users - xda-developers

like2angle

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I would try booting into recovery and seeing if you can do a restore from the recovery menu.

1. Turn your phone off.
2. Hold down “Home” and press “Power” until the Motorola logo appears.
3. Release ”Power” and continue to hold “Home” until an exclamation appears.
4. Release “Home” and press the “Search” button once.
5. Your phone will now enter recovery.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I got the update this morning. I had previously rooted with motoroot, changed the tethering setting, then unrooted. Update worked fine, tether setting stayed the same, and I just ran motoroot, and it looks like it worked fine. Used Root Checker (Joeykrim) and it says I have root access, as does motoroot.