MAXX losing battery

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
My maxx used to last 1-2 days without needing a charge at all and now even with battery saver on it barely lasts 6 hours I have to charge it 2-3 times a day ... Does anyone know anything I can do about that

Posted via Android Central App

briang00

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a Maxx as well and Ive had to factory reset a couple of times the last month. Mostly do to serious lag. Then I slowly install the apps I really need. I reboot my Maxx about every other day though. Its more of a boat anchor than a phone. Im do an upgrade but Im trying to hold out to see what Moto is going to offer.

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Some things to look at for bad battery performance.
1. Weak signal
2. Recently updated apps
3. Apps syncing.
Solutions
1. When was the last time you restarted your phone.
2. Clear your cache.
3. Last resort factory reset.

This is not a solve all answer but it does resolve a majority of problems if your phone suddenly starts having a battery problem

adayoff

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I just noticed my Maxx battery was especially ridiculous today and investigated some possible issues. I did find other people lately pointing out that Google + has been acting up again with "finger print scanner intent service" and "camera monitor", whatever these things are, that used 23% of battery keeping my phone awake for 9hrs. I cleared the Google + cache and stopped auto sync for Google + under Google sync options. I only did this sense so many others were complaining of the same issue. I just did this half an hour ago and have no idea if it's a work around until some update happens. I'll be checking this forum to hear what others have heard and think. Oh, also rebooted after clearing the cache of the phone. Got Kit Kat 4.4.4 and never bother with Google +. Hope this info gets the ball rolling.

eewwyeah

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I have a Maxx as well and Ive had to factory reset a couple of times the last month. Mostly do to serious lag. Then I slowly install the apps I really need. I reboot my Maxx about every other day though. Its more of a boat anchor than a phone. Im do an upgrade but Im trying to hold out to see what Moto is going to offer.

just for clarification, you are speaking of the Droid MAXX from 2013 and not the Motorola RAZR Max from a couple years ago? Bought mine on launch date last year (August) and I'm still getting two (2) days out of my battery with no issues

Go Cards

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issues. Went to Verizon and they ordered me a replacement no questions asked. Apparently it is a very common problem

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Ron John

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
The reason for the battery loss on the Maxx is because of KitKat. This is a well known prob across multiple devices, google just dropped the ball and put out an operating system update that absolutely does more harm than good. Verizon i know has been replacing phones but the issue is that the Maxx was meant to be on Jelly bean and as such was an absokute beast battery wise. KitKat screwed the basic purpose of is phone. Im pretty furious about it actually. Android/verizon sells me a phone for $300 that has proven battery life and six months later the battery life is cut in half and im basically told that "its unfortunate but nothing can be done". Imagine if you bought a Toyota based on it getting 40 mpg and a year later the dealership updates the ECU and the car gets 20 mpg from now on, You would have a basis for an effective class action lawsuit. But for some reason Verizon just shrugs it off and google doesnt even want to acknowledge it.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Some things to look at for bad battery performance.
1. Weak signal
2. Recently updated apps
3. Apps syncing.
Solutions
1. When was the last time you restarted your phone.
2. Clear your cache.
3. Last resort factory reset.

This is not a solve all answer but it does resolve a majority of problems if your phone suddenly starts having a battery problem

The past two days my battery has not been performing as usual, so I cleared the cache a few minutes ago. I'm hoping whatever was ailing it has gone away.

adayoff

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Ron John, thank you for breaking it down and spelling it out. I've been doing all kinds of different crap to try and justify that it wasn't Kit Kat. Clearly it is which sucks and can't be undone. I agree with all that you said and am sad now accepting the truth. So long Maxx, it was nice knowing you...

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
The reason for the battery loss on the Maxx is because of KitKat. This is a well known prob across multiple devices, google just dropped the ball and put out an operating system update that absolutely does more harm than good. Verizon i know has been replacing phones but the issue is that the Maxx was meant to be on Jelly bean and as such was an absokute beast battery wise. KitKat screwed the basic purpose of is phone. Im pretty furious about it actually. Android/verizon sells me a phone for $300 that has proven battery life and six months later the battery life is cut in half and im basically told that "its unfortunate but nothing can be done". Imagine if you bought a Toyota based on it getting 40 mpg and a year later the dealership updates the ECU and the car gets 20 mpg from now on, You would have a basis for an effective class action lawsuit. But for some reason Verizon just shrugs it off and google doesnt even want to acknowledge it.

I can't see any way that it's Verizon's fault. Your beef is with Google and/or Motorola, since Verizon has next to zero influence on the software on the phone. And if they had held the phone back on Jelly Bean like you seem to think they should've, they would have tons of customers giving them all kinds of crap for not letting them have the latest & greatest.

That said, I'm still on Jelly Bean so I could keep tethering, and my phone seems to be doing fine... *embarrassed smirk*

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
There must be something misbehaving for the phone to last no more than 6 hours. Mine (32MB Droid Maxx running Android 4.4.4) easily lasts two days, sometimes more, without recharging, with fairly light use. It could be some app is not happy with some change in the 4.4.4 OS and going into a hard loop, burning through the charge in 6 hours..

Just wanted to point out that discontent with 4.4.4 is not universal.

GoBigRed4

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm blasting through 6 hours of screen on time in a day with Bluetooth on all the time, weak signal in my house, and full brightness. Doubt any other phone out now can do that. I'm satisfied.

TeritorialDemon

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I can't see any way that it's Verizon's fault. Your beef is with Google and/or Motorola, since Verizon has next to zero influence on the software on the phone. And if they had held the phone back on Jelly Bean like you seem to think they should've, they would have tons of customers giving them all kinds of crap for not letting them have the latest & greatest.

That said, I'm still on Jelly Bean so I could keep tethering, and my phone seems to be doing fine... *embarrassed smirk*

Verizon has everything to do with the update. Yes Motorola and Google do as well. Verizon has the final say as to wether or not they will push the update to the phone. Google and Motorola don't push the update to your phone, your carrier does. Your carrier also, supposedly, does testing before pushing the update. You go as far as to mention that Verizon has next to zero influence on the software of the phone? LOL! Do you know what bloatware is? They jam so much on the phone it's not even funny.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I bet that Verizon can still take a Maxx, activate it on their network, add a Verizon backup assistant app and log in to a Google account, and put the phone on a table and still have it running 48 hours later. The statement never specified how the phone was used in 48 hours or what was installed, just that it supplied 48 hours of light use.

So, try suing them, I don't think it will go far.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Verizon has everything to do with the update. Yes Motorola and Google do as well. Verizon has the final say as to wether or not they will push the update to the phone. Google and Motorola don't push the update to your phone, your carrier does. Your carrier also, supposedly, does testing before pushing the update. You go as far as to mention that Verizon has next to zero influence on the software of the phone? LOL! Do you know what bloatware is? They jam so much on the phone it's not even funny.

The MAXX has very little bloatware. And as I already stated, if they'd held back KitKat, owners would be throwing fits. Sure, Verizon may have a final "veto" ability in sending out the software, but they put very little of their own time into the code. Also stated by others - the problems aren't happening to everyone.

Ron John

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Are you actually debating the fact that KitKat is a poor battery performer? Its been thoroughly accepted across samsungs, Moto X and droids by various professional sources AND VERIZON THEMSELVES. just google it and read. Im glad some Maxx handsets have remained usable for their owners, but to justify a product sold by a company that completely changes its performance after six months is ridiculous. And If Verizon Sells the product BY TELLING ME THE BATTERY STATS IT WILL DELIVER they bear responsibility as much as google. That is how commerce works. And if google would allow people to stay on Jelly Bean none of this would be a problem but their miserable forced updates don't make that a possibility. I very much understand their desire to get as many people on the newest OS as quickly as possible, but is that a legit excuse to greatly harm the usability of my phone? I don't think so, I think it's an unethical practice unless you want to send me the next Maxx for free. Bottom line is that if this happened in the sphere of another product type (car, television, pacemaker) it would be unacceptable. For some reason cell phones and carriers have become pushers of "disposable electronics" and anything goes is the order of the day.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Are you actually debating the fact that KitKat is a poor battery performer? Its been thoroughly accepted across samsungs, Moto X and droids by various professional sources AND VERIZON THEMSELVES. just google it and read. Im glad some Maxx handsets have remained usable for their owners, but to justify a product sold by a company that completely changes its performance after six months is ridiculous. And If Verizon Sells the product BY TELLING ME THE BATTERY STATS IT WILL DELIVER they bear responsibility as much as google. That is how commerce works. And if google would allow people to stay on Jelly Bean none of this would be a problem but their miserable forced updates don't make that a possibility. I very much understand their desire to get as many people on the newest OS as quickly as possible, but is that a legit excuse to greatly harm the usability of my phone? I don't think so, I think it's an unethical practice unless you want to send me the next Maxx for free. Bottom line is that if this happened in the sphere of another product type (car, television, pacemaker) it would be unacceptable. For some reason cell phones and carriers have become pushers of "disposable electronics" and anything goes is the order of the day.

You talk about this like there was a harmful intent, which I highly doubt. You could argue some kind of negligence in testing, but I doubt they sat in a room, rubbed their hands together, and say "you know what would be great? If we screwed up battery life with our next update!"

As for the Verizon thing, I still hold that they are doing what their customers for the most part want by getting the latest versions on the phones. They've been given a TON of crap about that in the past, and now they've improved in that area. Part of doing that means they aren't going to have the chance to do a ton of testing on what is mostly Google & Motorola's software before sending out updates.

I do think it's their responsibility in some ways. If I go buy a Chevy from a dealership, and there are issues with the car, I can recognize that the dealership did not design or manufacture the car, and as such they aren't at fault for some things, but they're still my main touchpoint in getting issues addressed. But I'm not going to moan and whine that Springfield Chevrolet allowed a car to be sold with a bad ignition switch. They did not manufacture the product. They do need to handle being the customer service touchpoint, however. But I'm not going to sue Springfield Chevrolet if I have an issue with the car, I'm going to sue General Motors, who were responsible for design, manufacture, and testing.

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
If the majority of people are not having a problem with "6 hour battery life" it might be an app that some have installed that is causing the challenge. My battery life dropped recently. After checking a little I found it was an app that was keeping GPS open continuously.
When we update apps on our phones, sometimes they start acting weird and it takes a little snooping around through settings to find the problem.
So I would recommend 1st check any new apps you have installed right before the problem started. Then look at any recently updated apps.
It could still be the phone but I am a heavy user (so Verizon says) and I still get through a 18 hour day with 20-30 percent battery life left. I used to have to change batteries 3 times a day and then still didn't always make it.
I am very happy with the Maxx.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo