MAXX losing battery

newbeginning828

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
If the majority of people are not having a problem with "6 hour battery life" it might be an app that some have installed that is causing the challenge. My battery life dropped recently. After checking a little I found it was an app that was keeping GPS open continuously.
When we update apps on our phones, sometimes they start acting weird and it takes a little snooping around through settings to find the problem.
So I would recommend 1st check any new apps you have installed right before the problem started. Then look at any recently updated apps.
It could still be the phone but I am a heavy user (so Verizon says) and I still get through a 18 hour day with 20-30 percent battery life left. I used to have to change batteries 3 times a day and then still didn't always make it.
I am very happy with the Maxx.

Posted via Android Central App

This...
After the update I noticed battery life was down. I decided to go through all the settings and found many of them had reverted back to "stock settings". Once I changed all the settings back to the way I had them plus a cache clean for good measure my phone was back to greatness.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been having battery problems since the last update too, and it sort of reached a breaking point today. The phone was hot and was losing battery at a truly astounding rate this morning.

I went through a major round of app disabling/housecleaning and then followed that up with the weird cache cleaning process (following the directions from the Motorola site, including jumping down, turning around, and picking a bale of cotton). Now everything seems to be back to normal. I've made it through the last eleven hours or so with very heavy use of the phone and outstanding battery performance.

We'll see how tomorrow goes.

Last edited:

Savvra

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I too have noticed a difference in battery. However, mine went from 2.5 days to around 29 hours. I have done factory resets (with each OS update), cleaned the cache (every 4 months) and disabled apps (after each factory reset)

I use my phone pretty regularly and have 93 apps installed. 29 hours still seems pretty good, especially compared to the Galaxy Nexus I had previously. When my heavy use changes and I end up with light use my battery will go 36 to 40 hours.

apcman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I do agree with you the battery life went down when it was on 4.2.2 but it did not go down so much that I could not get through the day with ease. When 4.4.4 was released my battery life was horrible but a quick reset and cache clear things were about the same as 4.4. I am a pretty heavy user so I am happy with 1 day of heavy use. If you are having trouble try doing a factory reset. That helps sometimes and if that doesn't work then call moto or vzw. Your maxx might not have played nicely with the last update. I don't this it is malicious or anything plus it is a new version of the OS so there might be deeper differences in the OS that we are not aware for the slightly lower battery life than just spite or incompetence.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Seems like a good place to get everyone's thoughts on whether to charge every night. Bought my wife a dock so it can daydream each night, but it has to be plugged in. Will this shorten battery life? We can both go 2-3 days still between charges.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Seems like a good place to get everyone's thoughts on whether to charge every night. Bought my wife a dock so it can daydream each night, but it has to be plugged in. Will this shorten battery life? We can both go 2-3 days still between charges.

These batteries like to be charged often - go ahead & charge every night.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
These batteries like to be charged often - go ahead & charge every night.

+1. Right on. Let it drain every two months or so when you know you can live without the phone for a few hours while it recharges, if you must, but charge every night. With this phone you'll never worry about a drained battery at the end of the day. (Well, rarely.)

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
+1. Right on. Let it drain every two months or so when you know you can live without the phone for a few hours while it recharges, if you must, but charge every night. With this phone you'll never worry about a drained battery at the end of the day. (Well, rarely.)

Yup, I could probably count the number of times I had to charge my phone to make it through a day on one hand over the course of the ~1yr I've owned it. Generally it requires either a LOT of gaming, or traveling where reception is poor all day coupled with heavy usage (like a recent road trip across south and north dakota, streaming music the whole time, and frequently researching places to visit, hotels, etc.)

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
In 10+ months of owning the phone, I have never (not once) had to charge other than at night. I charge overnight, every night, and that's it.

Dan Derp

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
My droid maxx gets about 10-12 hours of battery life with playing games and using chrome. I expected a lot more battery life though because on a normal day I am usually down to 20% after 10hr

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I found that enabling the option in advanced Wi-Fi settings "Scanning always available" keeps the Wi-Fi awake 100% of the time. It's a great feature that helps with location detection, but I've noticed quite a battery drain from having it on.

Also, after a few days to a week, the update "settles in" and battery life should increase. I factory reset my phone after the OTA to ensure its stability. It's really a breeze now with Google+ auto backup for pictures and drive storage. Most of my apps have accounts to log into and re-sync information. Text messages, nova launcher settings, and third party messengers can load files manually to restore. I would highly recommend an FDR, and if not, at least clear the system cache like so: Motorola Droid Maxx - Clear Cache

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
My droid maxx gets about 10-12 hours of battery life with playing games and using chrome. I expected a lot more battery life though because on a normal day I am usually down to 20% after 10hr

If you're playing games, you're not going to get 2 days battery life. Games will drain the battery quickly.

almondman

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
This is WiFi only, airplane mode and about 1 1/2 hr screen time.
vazu6a5a.jpg

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I'm pretty well back to where I was before last update. On wifi most of the time, I made three days and still had 30% left. (Not a gamer, no streaming of anything)

adayoff

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Do a factory reset and clear cache. Cleared it right up and restored battery back to Maxx standards. At least that worked for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
When you erase the cache partition, will that force the OS to recompile all of the applications when using the ART runtime? Erasing the cache partition takes quite a few minutes for some people, and I am wondering if this is why. Just recalling that one of the characteristics of the ART runtime is all of the Java applications are compiled from byte code to native code ahead of time, rather than just-in-time as is the case for the Dalvik runtime.

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
It seems like I still am getting less than stellar battery performance since the 4.4.4 update. At first it seemed like it was a lot better than previous, I used to easily be able to get to 2 days and some change with solid on screen time of 2.5-3 hours each time. But now it seems like Im struggling to just get to a day and a half. Idk what the deal is. I dont game on this phone either. I cleared the cache partition, once right when I got the update, and again last night. Also in between those times I did a factory reset to see if that would cure the problem. Doesnt seem like it has. Any one have any suggestions??

This past charge I made it to a day and 22 hours, but I had to turn the location off while I was at work, so to me that kind of voids the longer time since the last charge. Before I didnt have to do that.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
That was my experience with the 4.4 update. I think it's been slightly better on 4.4.4 but not as good as when first shipped with 4.2.2.

That said, you can get through a day, so all is good, right? Plug it in while you sleep and you'll never have to worry about battery life with this phone based on what you're reporting. It's better for the battery to have lots of smaller charges than fewer big ones.

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone help me try to see what the massive drop was?

Attachments

• 6482.jpg
    6482.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 92

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lumen