Sleeps too fast

rusty razor

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

Just bought two (2) Droid Minies. If I hold both phones a certain way, push the on button on
the side, then swipe the lock icon off, the screen will go to sleep in 1 to 3 seconds. Sometimes, it happens so fast, I do not have time to push the menu button before the screen goes black. I have not downloaded any extra apps yet. I have tried it with the covers off and on. I have reset the phone several times. Yet it still happens about 75% of the time if I hold the phones a certain way. It happens if I put my fingers on the top edge of the phone, slightly to the right (and my thumb at the bottom edge). If I hold the phone on the sides, the screen will stay on the normal amount of time. My 14 days are up tomorrow (Monday the 18th), so I need to know if this is a normal feature or if I am blocking some kind of sensor or is it not normal and could have some kind of hardware/software issue(s) therefore, I should take the phones back for replacement. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The top edge of the phone is where the proximity and the light sensors would be. The proximity sensor should only be active during a call, so unless the phone is malfunctioning, that shouldn't be the problem. If you're on automatic brightness, it might be that covering the light sensor is causing the screen to dim, but it shouldn't turn off completely--and when you uncover the light sensor, the screen should brighten again.

It sounds like you should just bring the phone in and show them what the problem is. Better to be safe than sorry.

rusty razor

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I tried it again. After both phones go to sleep too fast, moving my fingers away from the top, does not help. Infact, after it goes to sleep too fast, it makes the going to sleep clicking sound. I found it odd that both new minies would have the same issues. We are taking them back tomorrow for new ones. In store, they were $50 each with 2 year contract. Just found out that Amazon wireless has them for one (1) penny for 2 year contract.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with taking them back--there's just no reason why the phone should do that. Amazon and other online wireless stores often have better deals than the Verizon stores, so it's always a good idea to check them out beforehand.

rusty razor

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
actually today is my last day to exchange phones. Plan to do so in a few hours. Before I do, found out whats really going on. The screen goes to sleep too fast if the Charging LED light is covered when I hit the power key on the side. This light is on the upper LEFT of the phone face. Is this normal?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've never heard of that, and besides, there's no practical reason for that to be a "feature." Bring it back.

Last edited:

rusty razor

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Took phones back to store. Maybe I did not articulate the problem. But in the store, all the phones did the same thing as mine. They said that when you are on a phone call and cover the light sensor with your face, the screen goes dim but lights back up when you move your face away from phone. I tried it and it worked. As to my specific issue, if you are not on a call and totally cover the light sensor, the phone will go to sleep. We tried the sales reps phones and the phones in the store and the new phones and they all did the same thing as mine. They said it is suppose to do that. I still got two (2) new minies. Thanks for the assistance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So you're saying they still gave you 2 new replacements? Well, I'm glad they did that. But it still makes no sense to me at all that blocking the light or the proximity sensor would make the phone go to sleep if it's not on a call. Think about it--if the light sensor made the phone go to sleep when it was blocked, that means you wouldn't be able to prevent it from sleeping if you were using it in a pitch black room. If the proximity sensor made the phone go to sleep when it was blocked and not on a call, you could make it go to sleep by holding it wrong. And it sounds like your phone is actually going to sleep, rather than the screen temporarily shutting off--that's a big difference.

Anyway, test out these new replacements very carefully, and see if the same behavior occurs.

rusty razor

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I got 2 new replacement phones. I tried it in the light and in a totally dark room. Both ways, the screen does not go to sleep until it normally times out and when it does it starts to go dim then sleeps. I had to cover the light/proximity sensor in the light and in the dark, then after only a few seconds, it goes to sleep. One guy said its a battery saver app. He said if you have your screen on or unlocked in your pocket or power key gets bumped and or it gets unlocked in your pocket , it will go to sleep after a few seconds. If true, I like it.

Jillxz

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
So you're saying they still gave you 2 new replacements? Well, I'm glad they did that. But it still makes no sense to me at all that blocking the light or the proximity sensor would make the phone go to sleep if it's not on a call. Think about it--if the light sensor made the phone go to sleep when it was blocked, that means you wouldn't be able to prevent it from sleeping if you were using it in a pitch black room. If the proximity sensor made the phone go to sleep when it was blocked and not on a call, you could make it go to sleep by holding it wrong. And it sounds like your phone is actually going to sleep, rather than the screen temporarily shutting off--that's a big difference.

Anyway, test out these new replacements very carefully, and see if the same behavior occurs.

My Verizon LG G2 does the same thing. When you are holding it to the ear on a call , it goes dark , but when you remove it , it lights back up. It has to do with where that sensor is placed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My Verizon LG G2 does the same thing. When you are holding it to the ear on a call , it goes dark , but when you remove it , it lights back up. It has to do with where that sensor is placed.

Right, that's the correct function--it turns off the screen while on a call​. But when it's not on a call, the proximity sensors shouldn't be active. This was the problem the OP was facing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch