camcorder closes when I try to record

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm running Froyo if it matters. Is this a known issue that did not know about? It's been a while since I tried to do a video.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
It's a definite issue with Froyo. The camera and camcorder apps close for no reason. Only a reboot fixes.

chsszc

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I have had this issue a few times at the most inopportune moments...Also sometimes the camera will take the picture but will not save the image...I have to reboot it to fix also. I have not seen this as one the bugs that Motorola mentioned in the fixes that are coming.

hunfifl

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Mine also does not save pictures that I take. I have to reboot phone and it will save for a while and then it does the same thing until I reboot again.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
More Froyo fail thanks to Motorola. I feel like they had Froyo on dev X's for months and were experiencing insane amounts of bugs, but also knew they needed to release it to the public by their deadline or it'd make them look bad.

So what do we the consumers get? A shoddy, at best, upgrade that breaks part of our phones functionality, all so a corporation can't get slapped by the BBB for making promises to its consumers and not fulfilling them. Fail.

As for the topic, yes my girlfriends phone does this as well. Sometimes photo's are not saved properly, sometimes she cannot take pictures, sometimes she cannot take video. A lot of times after this happens she can't even re-open the camera app without rebooting the phone. So fail...

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
More Froyo fail thanks to Motorola. I feel like they had Froyo on dev X's for months and were experiencing insane amounts of bugs, but also knew they needed to release it to the public by their deadline or it'd make them look bad.

So what do we the consumers get? A shoddy, at best, upgrade that breaks part of our phones functionality, all so a corporation can't get slapped by the BBB for making promises to its consumers and not fulfilling them. Fail.

As for the topic, yes my girlfriends phone does this as well. Sometimes photo's are not saved properly, sometimes she cannot take pictures, sometimes she cannot take video. A lot of times after this happens she can't even re-open the camera app without rebooting the phone. So fail...

Since it's my thread, I think it's OK for me to high jack it...

Dark, what OS/ROM are you running these days and do you like/love it? I'm still on the original 2.2 leak and rooted.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
It is an issue with Froyo, but it's somewhat related to this thread, which may help: http://forum.androidcentral.com/mot...et-things-straight-my-droid-x-2-2-update.html

Post-Froyo, everything worked fine for me except the Camcorder, which I had the same exact issue you did, as well as videos not playing.

I read that thread, but the fix that I ended up doing was this:
1. Turned off phone and removed both both the battery and the SD card.
2. Put back battery only (left SD card out) and turned on phone until it fully loaded everything.
3. Turned off phone again and put SD card back in with battery.
4. Booted phone.

Voila, everything then worked for me: music, videos, Camcorder, etc. I replied to that same thread with my solution (see post #250).

Give it a try

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Since it's my thread, I think it's OK for me to high jack it...

Dark, what OS/ROM are you running these days and do you like/love it? I'm still on the original 2.2 leak and rooted.

Same as you brother. Original leaked 2.2 with root. It was great back in late August when it was first released and its still great today.

I think we'll be moving off it soon though, when Motorola releases an OTA patch to fix up all these bugs (battery usage FC, camera/camcorder issues, etc)

If they can get that stuff fixed I'll have a reason to SBF to official 2.2 and then OTA but until then, I'm doing just fine and dandy on my stock leaked 2.2. I am only running Deodexed with NexTheme, no ROMs. I don't like the whole bootstrap and what not. It's sorta meh in my eyes. A lot of the stuff on it can be done without it, just takes longer. Since I'm a down and dirty kinda guy, I prefer to take the ugly route. Plus I love command line lol

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
i read a post on a forum somewhere and its worked for me, instead of going straight into the camcorder app, go into the gallery, then choose camera, then switch to the camcorder. i've done this and it works just fine with no force closing.

Mister869

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Froyo issue. I've been having same issues. Cannot pin it down to another app causing issues. Some mentioned Pandora and Vlingo in car, but I am not using those and have issues.
Rebooting is a temporary fix, but somewhere along the lines it gets whacky again and force closes when you record.
And I have tried all scenarios, going straight to camcorder, going to camera then switching, soft record and hard record buttons. When it's whacky, it's whacky.
Very frustrating as it has caused me to miss two video opportunities as I had to reboot.

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I've tried a bunch of things and nothing is working. Even the Qik app forced closed.

Guess I don't have a camcorder until they hopefully release a fix.